old license against new one affects train weights

thebiker

hi

I know am probably a bit thick and this has been done to death but I have just found on the gov.uk web site a table which lists old paper license groups and equivalent new categories it is of interest to me as I am one of those stubborn people who has hung on to their old paper one as I don't see why I should have to pay for a new one and some of my biker mates have had their entitlement "lost" by d v l a the little darlings!! interestingly enough (,well it is to me, as I intend to take a classic camper van I have just purchased, to shows on a trailer behind my RV ) if you passed your test between 1976 and 1986 the old group A lists the train weight as 12000 kg not 8.250kg as it seems to be the given by all the publications I have read. The train weight of 8.250kg applies if you passed your test between 1986 and 1990 when it changed to the 3.500kg so it seems there are three tiers not two as everybody seems to think

hmmm!

Pete

thebiker - 2015-07-01 10:34 PM

hi

I know am probably a bit thick and this has been done to death but I have just found on the gov.uk web site a table which lists old paper license groups and equivalent new categories it is of interest to me as I am one of those stubborn people who has hung on to their old paper one as I don't see why I should have to pay for a new one and some of my biker mates have had their entitlement "lost" by d v l a the little darlings!! interestingly enough (,well it is to me, as I intend to take a classic camper van I have just purchased, to shows on a trailer behind my RV ) if you passed your test between 1976 and 1986 the old group A lists the train weight as 12000 kg not 8.250kg as it seems to be the given by all the publications I have read. The train weight of 8.250kg applies if you passed your test between 1986 and 1990 when it changed to the 3.500kg so it seems there are three tiers not two as everybody seems to think

hmmm!

Pete

I passed my motorbike test in 1963 and my car test in 1965 does that mean I can drive anything I like ? ;-)

George Collings - 2015-07-02 8:23 AM

Rayjsj,

According to my calculations you were born no later than 1946. The paper ones run out when you are 70 and that next year or earlier depending if you are like me well over that hill.

, and I think you get your new photo licence free....a real baby boomer here is keeping their fingers crossed!

George Collings - 2015-07-02 8:23 AM

Rayjsj,

According to my calculations you were born no later than 1946. The paper ones run out when you are 70 and that next year or earlier depending if you are like me well over that hill.

Yes, birthday next June, I want to keep my full unlimited Motorcycle license and as my Van is 4.25 tonne and we tow our car, I will need to pass the medical to keep my C1E too. Ray

Archived