GoBox for Austria and Switzerland

pads

Later this summer we will be traveling in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, and are looking for some advice on the use of G-Boxes for Austria & Switzerland.

Our motorhome is 5.25 ton, with single axle (twin wheels).

I have heard that the Austrian GoBoxes are valid in Switzerland - but not the other way round. Is this true?

Where do we get the GoBoxes from for both countries?

And lastly - how expensive are toll roads in both countries?

Many thanks

Peter

Somebody will come along with the definitive scripts in due course but The Go Box is for Austria and the vignette for Switzerland for a van over 3.5t.

The Go box relies on sensors on the motorways and express roads in Austria which trigger taking money form the go box which has to be pre loaded. Its available at designated filling stations on the approaches to and just inside Austria on main crossings. It is expensive on the motorways and express roads with a Go Box, you can avoid the motorways and express roads but you must keep your wits about you as the road may suddenly become an express way and chargeable (there are signs).

In Switzerland its simply a vignette bought at the border crossing on main roads or at filling stations. For vehicles over 3.5 t you can buy for 8 days, 30 days or a year from memory. The 8 day one is cheaper than the under 3.5t which has to be bought for a year. You have to have a vignette to take a vehicle in to Switzerland. I have seen inspectors checking foreign registered vehicles in car parks.

For an 8 day vignette you to sign up for the days you are in Switzerland and tick off the days on a log sheet. I have always only ticked off the days when the van has been used BUT apparently you must tick off all days that the van is in the country. There are no additional charges for motorways in Switzerland once you've got a vignette apart from some tunnels usually those into France.

Happy travelling alan

If you google, Go Box and swiss vignette you'll get plenty of info

For a motorhomes over 3.5kg the vignette system does not apply. There is only one charge for over 3.5kg vehicles in Switzerland and that is a Heavy Vehicle Tax. This is charged for every day the vehicle is in the country, on the roads or not, and paid at the border. I don't have the figures with me at the moment but it costs about SF3.25 - SF3.50 per day with a minimum charge of SF25.00. It might sound a lot but compared to most other countries toll charges it's a bargain.

Ron

Just to clarify the Swiss Vignette is only for Motorways and 'National Roads'. It is theoretically possible to use just normal roads without a vigenette, but not really practical. The inspectors thus tend to check motorway service areas.

The federal govenment here in Switzerland tried to raise the Vignette cost to 100 Francs in 2013 but it was rejected in the public referendum. A 2 month visitor vignette would then have remained 40 Fr. The increase proposal may come up again though, as expensive motorway and bridge repairs are necessary.

Here is the government website in English - http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/04338/04340/index.html?lang=en

BTW Germany are proposing a motorway vignette just for visitors!!!!

Regards

Alan

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-04 12:09 AM

Alan, what is the two month visitor vignette?

Hi Brian

The 2 month vignette was only a proposal in 2013, when the motion to increase the cost to 100 Fr was put to the public. (As far as I can see). As an 'immigrant', I can't vote anyhow and didn't look into it much at the time.

The proposed 2 month version was intended to avoid putting tourists off. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Alan

I was told, some time ago by a friend who lived in Switzerland that it was not necessary to buy a vignette for motorway travel, as long as you did not stop on the service areas, because this was the only place that vignettes were checked. So thats what I did and have done since, outcome no problem. I have done the same in Hungary with the same outcome, currently I'm quids in.

I know it won't last forever but heigh ho, lifes too short to worry.

starvin marvin - 2015-07-04 9:57 PM

I was told, some time ago by a friend who lived in Switzerland that it was not necessary to buy a vignette for motorway travel, as long as you did not stop on the service areas, because this was the only place that vignettes were checked. So thats what I did and have done since, outcome no problem. I have done the same in Hungary with the same outcome, currently I'm quids in.

I know it won't last forever but heigh ho, lifes too short to worry.

Just to point out that it is a [RED]legal requirement[/RED] to carry vignettes in both countries, and failure to do so is punishable by fine. So, what is being recommended here is illegal, and is the approximate equivalent of driving in UK without paying VED. Whether you choose to follow this advice is up to you.

Hi

Just to support Brian's comment. The Swiss motorways have new gantries with intelligent cameras popping up all over the place. They automatically read registration plates and check (at least for us residents) insurance and Swiss MOT status. I believe they can also detect vignette stickers too.

There was quite a debate about them here, as many freedom loving Swiss see them as the start of a police state!

I wouldn't risk it. The police here are very vigilant indeed. A friend of mine visiting from the Isle of Man, was pulled up several times during his stay, because the police couldn't confirm the origin of his 'funny' plate.

Alan

Best advice is stay off toll roads and you won't need a Go Box. Earlier this year we travelled from Slovenia through Austria and into Germany avoiding toll roads with no problem.

Our friend travels to his holiday home in Hungary via Austria with his 6.5 tonne Hymer and unless he has his trailer on the back he avoids the toll roads with no problem and he does have a Go Box.

Appreciate if you are in a hurry it may suit to purchase/hire a Go Box but if you are only touring it makes sense to avoid all toll roads.

Incidently we toured through France, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany & Holland earlier this year without gracing any toll roads.

If you really want a Go Box get a list of suppliers/distributors here

http://maps.asfinag.at/pvis/?Anzeige=go,Verkehrsmeldungen=false

John

Archived