Pinto Petrol Pong

Tony Jones

A few people have written to the Ford section of "Interchange" lately with assorted problems with Pinto engines, so maybe someone can help with mine. Like some others, I've got the Weber carb fitted, and my problem is that I can often smell petrol in the cab, especially when slowing down or cornering after a spell at higher speeds, which suggests that petrol is open to the air somewhere in the system. Even stopping and checking immediately, there's no smell under the bonnet, so it must be somewhere further back in the system. The van is laid up in winter, and over the last couple of years I've had the tank off to inspect, & replaced the fuel filler pipe (big L-shaped thing). I'm wondering whether the flexible fuel pipes don't like the additives in unleaded petrol? Or would something as simple as replacing the filler cap make a difference? Any ideas anyone (either "forum" or "consultant")?

Thanks Terry. I wondered about the carb, but discounted it when I couldn't detect the smell under the bonnet. Since I can't exactly ride along under there when moving, I suppose it's always possible that the fumes are blowing away before I get there. I'll take a look next time I'm in a mechanical mood! Best wishes Tony

old problem we used to encounter on all the ford range, the fuel tank breather usually terminated in a small downward facing funnel clipped to the tank. the smell was most noticeble in high ambient temperatures & was caused by fuel vapour condensing at the funnel once you stop.it may be that the vent is close to one of your gas drop out vents.could be that rerouting the vent pipe will solve the problem.

Archived