Thetford Fridge..... Did you know???

kevandali

Hi All, we have just fetched our van back as it was having a few bits and pieces sorted, including a new thermistor for the fridge.

About at hour after I got back my wife was shouting me from the motorhome, "come and look at this, come and look at this!"
I got in the van to see the wife staring at the fridge, we have had 3 vans and been away a fare bit but when we were not using the fridge we propped it open with anything that was handy, clothes, a shoe, bit of sponge.

In all that time we never realised that under the fridge catch was a thing that I think is technically called a 'keeping the fridge door open, Gizmo' 8-)

Thought I would share as probably 95% of you already knew of this gizmo but for the other 5%, you can now put your bits of sponge, clothes and everything else away so your vans are nice and tidy. :-D

IMG_1698.JPG.1c3494561697a169bfa57b6c903e820f.JPG

The purpose of the gizmo is to hold the door open when the fridge is not in use allowing air to circulate and stop the growth of black mould if the door is left closed.  If anyone has a fridge freezer there is almost certainly one gizmo on each door.

Thetford refers to this part as a “storage lock” and its use is explained in the manual. It’s not the most elegant of solutions to keeping the fridge door partially open (though better than a shoe!) but at least Thetford door catches are relatively inexpensive compared to Dometic’s.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/cooling/product_50069/travel_catch_black_for_thetford_fridges_-_black.aspx

It does work, however there is still the issue of the freezer compartment. That usually needs something t okeep it open to allow air circulation. In our case it is an ice tray but then the door catch will now latch, so back to the old system of just opening it and putting something in front to stop it closing itself, and yes, we shut it all when moving.

Dave225 - 2015-07-05 3:11 PM

It does work, however there is still the issue of the freezer compartment. That usually needs something t okeep it open to allow air circulation. In our case it is an ice tray but then the door catch will now latch, so back to the old system of just opening it and putting something in front to stop it closing itself, and yes, we shut it all when moving.

Freezer compartment on ours has the same catch.

The ‘storage lock’ arrangement depends to some extent on the model of fridge.

My current-model N3000 fridge/freezer is a 2-door appliance with an external ‘latch’ for each door. The laches are identical (except the one for the fridge is in the top of the door, while the freezer’s latch is upside-down in the bottom of the door) and - like Brian’s Thetford appliance - each latch has the type of storage lock discussed above.

Thetford C1 and C2 N3000 1-door appliances have a different type of door latch and the storage lock is engaged differently. As the freezer compartment is not separate, Thetford provides no means of keeping the compartment’s door open during storage.

The Thetford manual also advises that some models have an extra security lock on the bottom of the refrigerator door. This involves sliding a small black plastic ‘thingie’ on to a sort of hook on the fridge and swivelling it over a pin on the underside of the door. Its use is described in the manual, and it certainly holds the door tightly shut when engaged, but it’s very much an afterthought.

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-05 7:07 PM

Dave225 - 2015-07-05 3:11 PM

Freezer compartment on ours has the same catch.

Ah, but you have a posh Hymer, I have a cheapie with a basic N80, however it does the job and no worries about the 'computer brain' going wobbly, as it doesn't have one. Bit like me I guess. It is currently working just fine at 70% setting with outside temp at 41 degrees.

Archived