Ignition problem

spike

I would appreciate some advice relating to an ignition problem. It came to light after I experienced a problem with the starter motor that stopped working when hot. As we were on the road at the time, I did a search and found a garage who fitted me a reconditioned unit. The garage pointed out that on a couple of occasions it seem to fail when they were testing and found the voltage at those times was only showing 9 volts ( going to the starter) but at all other times was correct. He wasn’t 100% positive but felt that that the problem may be connected with the ignition, failing that a bad connection on the Sigma wiring to the motor. He suggested I fitted a new ignore.

I’ve had a look at this and it appears that I need a red key otherwise it could mean problems but I just have two black keys. However, in my Hymer folder there is a plastic card with a picture of a key on it with Electronic code and Mechanical code. Would these be the equivalent to the red key?

The vehicle is 2004 Fiat Ducato 2.0 diesel

Has anyone checked the earth cable from battery to chassis for corrosion free and clean contacts?

How about checking the battery for a possible intermittent fault in one cell?

Similarly the terminals on the battery, alternator, starter (should be OK if it is new? but can you trust the garage to check the lead for defects?).

You could try plugging one of these into the cigarette lighter socket to monitor the battery voltage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Voltmeter-BuyinCoins/dp/B0092KVYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436038802&sr=8-1&keywords=plug+in+12+volt+meter

Archived