Raising awning - Filling gap

sshortcircuit

My awning is too low and needs to be raised about 4". Using the existing holes I will be able to weld an adapter plate to the bracket and move it up re-enforcing the joint with sixaflex. Unfortunately the new position of the awning will straddle a plastic moulding that covers the joint between the roof and the sidewalls (2005, Swift Kontiki 660). The moulding will pull out and enable the awning to sit nearer to the sidewall .

After all this, my question is, what should I fill the gap with where the moulding has been removed?

Hi...

If I'm picturing it correctly, then firstly I wouldn't be looking to just extend by way of piece butt welded to it.

Instead I'd look a fabricating a full bracket that spanned the existing mounting bolt position and onto which the awning body beam could be re-bolted

If it needs to clear a moulding, look at making these brackets with an cranked off-set (either that or mount them on a packer?), that way the "moulding" wouldn't need to be cut/removed.

(if you do want to remove the moulding, can you not just replace it with a strip of flat upvc moulding, sikaflexed in place?)

Having said all of that, you'd want these brackets to be as slim and neat as possible, whilst at the same time being hefty enough to carry the forces that a wind-out is subjected to(both when deployed and whilst in transit), so in my mind would need to be quite beefy ali' plate..?

Are there any "ideas" in the Fiamma mounting brackets pages?

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Fixing-Brackets-and-Adapters

Thanks for the suggestions. Had not intended a butt weld, but add a plate the length + of with the existing plate being welded too which would use the existing mounting bolts, now at bottom of bracket and not top. Had looked at the Fiamma brackets but did not find any suitable. When I removed awning I had previously sealed the gap between awning and MH with a sealer which made the awning ridged against the MH so not all the strain on the brackets.

You say the awning is too low, too low from what, is it because it fouls the opening door, a common problem. If it catches the side door that can be sorted by just raising the awning to open the door.

How often do you use the awning? I feel that the effect you will create on the side of your van will look ugly imo, however if you still want to go ahead with the project, I wish you well.

chas - 2015-07-06 12:14 PM

You say the awning is too low, too low from what, is it because it fouls the opening door, a common problem. If it catches the side door that can be sorted by just raising the awning to open the door.

How often do you use the awning? I feel that the effect you will create on the side of your van will look ugly imo, however if you still want to go ahead with the project, I wish you well.

Have to agree.

We find that you have to lift the awing higher and then it clears the rear door. We also have a centre rail to insert, which helps to keep the middle of awing rigid We also have a Swift (2006), so should be Ok on your van I would have thought

PJay

As suggested the awning fowls the door and can be overcome. In addition the safari room does not hang properly and is very much at a tilt and the skirt pegs do not operate properly. As far as visual appearance, a thinish plate under existing bracket with an extra two inch of aluminium showing will not be in the slightest unsightly.

I am attempting to rectify a combination of errors, awning too low, Safari room too big and raising awning is the easiest solution.

Thanks for advise

Cliffy - 2015-07-08 1:15 AM

If you raise the awning will you have enough adjustment on the legs to reach the ground?

No problems with front legs or the rear uprights that hold the side sheet.

Removed awning the other day. I had filled the gap between the MH and awning with sealer to prevent water ingress and was surprised at the grip it had. Will repeat sealing using Sikaflex which will take a fair bit of strain off the brackets.

Thanks again for input.

Archived