Canada...RV Holiday

Soon we're travelling across the US to finish up in Vancouver were we pick up an RV for 3weeks. Our drop off is Calgary for the return flight

The reason for this post is to ask if any others have any tips for a trip like this. I could list some questions like, route, excursions, camping clubs, maps and the like. We are experienced m/homers and also driven extensively in the US, but we're new to Canada.

Thanks

The classic short tour of BC is Vancouver island, inside passage to prince Rupert, jasper, icelands parkway to Banff and back to Vancouver. We've done a modified version of this, I guess you would go to Calgary from either jasper or banff.

We purchased a 'book of tickets' for national parks.

colin - 2015-07-06 3:37 PM

The classic short tour of BC is Vancouver island, inside passage to prince Rupert, jasper, icelands parkway to Banff and back to Vancouver. We've done a modified version of this, I guess you would go to Calgary from either jasper or banff.

Thanks for the reply, after catching the ferry from Seattle to Victoria, Vancouver Island for 3 days, we then get the ferry to Vancouver city for 4 days before collecting the RV. We opted for a one way hire to avoid having to go backwards and therefore give us maximum time.

I guess you pick up nat park ticket books from Tourist info?

and again....looking at my atlas Prince Rupert was not on my radar...too far north, I thought! Does the "inside passage" go via Prince George? or is there a good route closer to the coast? I need to take a further look at my guide books, unfortunately I'm a crap planner.

Thanks

and again....looking at my atlas Prince Rupert was not on my radar...too far north, I thought! Does the "inside passage" go via Prince George? or is there a good route closer to the coast? I need to take a further look at my guide books, unfortunately I'm a crap planner.

Thanks

The ferry journey we took went from port hardy at top end of vancouver island to prince rupert, this takes a full day.

Three days on vancouver island hardly scratches the surface, but if you've already got bookings then I suppose you are stuck.

I'll look into our journey in reverse later to give you some ideas, but it was nearly 15 years ago.

Tony

HOW SOON, days ... weeks ... months

The only tip I can suggest is you should have done all your searching a long time ago. How did you manage in the US ? I guess its similar and you'll get by as you've done before. A few more hills I expect.

Will

colin - 2015-07-06 6:30 PM

The ferry journey we took went from port hardy at top end of vancouver island to prince rupert, this takes a full day.

Three days on vancouver island hardly scratches the surface, but if you've already got bookings then I suppose you are stuck.

I'll look into our journey in reverse later to give you some ideas, but it was nearly 15 years ago.

Thanks, the 3 days on Vancover Island is hotel based in Victoria, not with the RV, spending the time eating drinking and sightseeing. Many thanks.

Will85 - 2015-07-06 6:32 PM

Tony

HOW SOON, days ... weeks ... months

The only tip I can suggest is you should have done all your searching a long time ago. How did you manage in the US ? I guess its similar and you'll get by as you've done before. A few more hills I expect.

Will

Its a good few weeks yet. In the US its dead simple, we do flydrives with no accommodation booked, we decide over breakfast where we fancy going that day, find a hotel on the internet, book it and go. Last trip we managed to get from Washington DC to Florida, 6 states in 3 very steady weeks driving, all good fun.

As you say probably a few more hills and things that want to eat you.

If you stop at a KOA campground you may be able to pick up a complimentary sites directory. Walmart permit overnighting if you inform the manager or call in in the morning for a coffee etc. CBC radio 1 and 2 have a good range of programmes I especially liked the 'Vinyl Cafe' shows. A good inexpensive meal can be bought at any small town diner.

yeti - 2015-07-06 10:40 PM

If you stop at a KOA campground you may be able to pick up a complimentary sites directory. Walmart permit overnighting if you inform the manager or call in in the morning for a coffee etc. CBC radio 1 and 2 have a good range of programmes I especially liked the 'Vinyl Cafe' shows. A good inexpensive meal can be bought at any small town diner.

I guess Canada works a lot like the US in terms of customer service etc. We loved the coupon books you could pick up at the tourist info's at the state lines which would give good discounts off hotels and meals at all the chains. Wendy's was particularly good with its free coffees for the grey heads.

I've made a note of the radio stations, thanks for that, it'll make a change from listening to our ipod, even with the 1500 songs on it!

Archived