Dumping waste water while driving.

Steve928

lizken - 2015-07-07 4:00 PM

Only the lack of patrol vehicles prevents many prosecutions for this offence

Sadly, that could read 'any motoring offence'. It's a free-for-all out there. Dump your grey water, sling your pizza boxes and Coke cans oot the window, speed, tailgate, remove your anti-pollution devices, run overweight, use bald tyres, make phone calls, send texts.. It's a wonder that it all still works at all, which it does, sort of.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely the strongest argument against doing this is the impression it creates among other road users.

I'm not arguing that the local environmental damage should be disregarded, nor that we should ignore one environmental impact because others are greater. Just that if we wish to continue being able to use our vehicles with reasonable freedom, we need to pay attention of how our behaviour appears to others.

If we annoy enough non-motorhomers with what they are likely to see as insanitary practices, they will complain, and those complaints will eventually have consequences in the form of more restrictions. What others think of our actions matters far more than their real-world consequences.

There is proposed legislation to clamp down on littering caused by Motorists. If the perpetrator is not clear then the registered owner of the vehicle will be. I presume the Police will not need to stop the vehicle as long as they have the reg number. A letter will be sent to the registered owner.

As these incidents can be caught on camera as well, you better stop dumping your grey water (unless it is raining of course). ;-)

Tracker - 2015-07-07 1:06 PM

... I would prefer to see the largest causes of pollution better controlled first and just as road vehicles are continually cleaning up their acts so should power stations, factory chimneys, shipping and aircraft.

The emissions from power stations, factory chimneys (are there any factories left in the UK?) and aircraft are all being clean up. ( I don't know about shipping). Urban and rural diffuse pollution (i.e. not from sewage treatment works) IS the largest single cause of failure to meet environmental quality standards in lowland rivers in England.

Modern trains have holding tanks [300l+ for each toilet] for grey/black water. The older trains are being phased out.

The chaps I used to know at the Environmental Agency told me that the leisure industry does not generate anywhere near the pollution that some others do, like car washes that use the drains. However, they reminded me that polluting the waterways etc remains an offence so best keep the toilet waste and diesel leaks away from the water course.

On the Caravan & Camping Club website it says, "Apart from being inappropriate, it’s illegal to discharge your waste water on the road or in laybys." I presume whoever controls the highway in question has the responsibility to enforce this law.

I think Steve and Brian are right about the impression it gives.

Guest Joe90

It's like the kings new clothes. An estimated 1000 tonnes of dog poo is created by 8 million dogs every day in the UK, it contains E,Coli, fecal col inform bacteria which causes serious kidney disease, other niceties are hookworm, ringworm,tapeworm, and Salmonella. Our local beach and sand dunes will be as usual covered with this disgusting mess, both wrapped, and unwrapped. So as I said earlier bigger fish to fry, and whilst I have every sympathy with the survival of some obscure shellfish in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be high on my list.

If anyone wants to start somewhere,take a walk down your local park, beach, or high street, and can I suggest get your priorities right.

http://www.cleanupbritain.org

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-07-07 6:49 PM

Well that didn't take long did it,

what a surprise.

Along comes the village idiot with all his dogs, which kind of puts the whole subject in perspective, and also illustrates the problem with peoples attitudes today.

You can rely on me Joe :D ..........

While staying on a CS recently a motorcaravan set up nearby. A small bucket was placed under the waste drain, it was at an angle and sort of disguised the fact that it was overflowing. The hardstanding however was getting wet. He must have forgotten about removing the bucket because when he reversed off the pitch he drove over his bucket which became lodged underneath. It made an interesting noise as he drove out of the CS.

Guest Joe90

Here's a few more wise words,

Rivers where we live are almost completely devoid of life principally as a result of acidification courtesy of the forestry commission with upland conifer plantations, and industrial atmospheric acidic pollutants, not to mention pollutants from all of our motorhomes and cars exhaust fumes. So With respect the odd few drops of grey water from our motorhomes is the very least of our problems

And to put the record straight, I live in Wales, I'm not from Wales, but I'm sure the Welsh forum members, and indeed the entire population of Wales won't object to being slurred by Tracker ( returning to form of course ) and yourself unless that was not your intention ?

Joe90 - 2015-07-07 6:41 AM

I'm tempted to ask, are you for real, but you obviously are................and the irony of anyone chugging around in a motorhome and the environmental impact of its manufacture, it's ongoing maintenance, and pollution spouting on about damage to the environment by the odd bit of soap and water is more than a little odd...........I'd get a push bike if I was you.

wise words mate, and I bet they live in a house... disgusting! . The best concealed grey water drain I saw was a bucket with a hole in the bottom under the outlet pipe!

whiskers - 2015-07-08 6:51 PM

Tell that to the motor cyclist who hits a slippery patch left by an inconsiderate motorcaravan owner.

I am a motorcyclist as well as a motorhomer and I have occassionally had to dump water into a roadside drain or similar for lack of an alternative and I have even allowed the last bit to trickle out on the road as the MH levels up as I drive away, although I try to remeber this risk and close the valve before moving off.

For example I had to leave a Caravan Club Site without emptying the waste tank this year because the design of their MH service point made it impossible to get my MH over the little manhole and the warden could offer no alternative. I try to find somewhere unobtrusive and where I can get right over the drain leaning the right way to get everything out.

It's not environmentally ideal but nor is it a major health risk to anyone else or a substantial safety risk to motorcyclists as long as you minimise spillage. Dumping a whole tankful onto the road as you drive along is a different matter but there are times when I've wanted to have that option, using a valve controlled remotely from the driving seat, to discourage some idiot from tailgating me! There are times when I've wanted a tankful of worse than ordinary grey water to discharge that way too. (lol)

Although I'm in the "just because nobody is watching when you dump it, that doesn't make it okay to do so" camp (lol) , when it comes to the dangers of dribbled grey waste to motorcyclists, although I don't tend to ride as much (nor as fast!) as I used to, I'd say that it probably ranks near the bottom of the "Things that appear to be trying to kill me whilst I'm on my bike" league table.. ;-)

Tell that to the motor cyclist who hits a slippery patch left by an inconsiderate motorcaravan owner.

At the risk of provoking an outburst, if that motorcyclist hits that slick and falls off as a result, isn't he being reckless in his riding? I'm not defending the practice of dumping waste water down the road, which I think lazy, inconsiderate, and offencive.

However, public roads aren't racing circuits, and their surfaces bear all kinds of risks, especially to motorcyclists. Loose grit, potholes, patches, inspection covers, mud, various liquids, horses, pedestrians, cyclists, etc etc all come and go. Knowing that, surely the wise and competent motorcyclist will observe that most fundamental safety rule; to always drive/ride at a speed at which they can stop within the distance they can see is clear? There are far too many roadside floral tributes to those who ignore that advice.

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-09 1:16 PM

At the risk of provoking an outburst, if that motorcyclist hits that slick and falls off as a result, isn't he being reckless in his riding? I'm not defending the practice of dumping waste water down the road, which I think lazy, inconsiderate, and offencive.

However, public roads aren't racing circuits, and their surfaces bear all kinds of risks, especially to motorcyclists. Loose grit, potholes, patches, inspection covers, mud, various liquids, horses, pedestrians, cyclists, etc etc all come and go. Knowing that, surely the wise and competent motorcyclist will observe that most fundamental safety rule; to always drive/ride at a speed at which they can stop within the distance they can see is clear? There are far too many roadside floral tributes to those who ignore that advice.

It isn't as simple as that Brian and spillages on the road are not always at all easy to spot, diesel especially. Nor do you have to going fast to loose traction on a spillage. Obviously a rider should look out (and smell out too!) but it ain't at all easy, even at slow speeds.

StuartO - 2015-07-09 5:13 PM....................................It isn't as simple as that Brian and spillages on the road are not always at all easy to spot, diesel especially. ................................

Agreed Stuart, and I'm definitely not advocating adding to the risks: one way or another they affect us all. But we all choose our modes of transport, so should recognise the risks they present, and adjust the way we ride/drive accordingly. It's no good blaming the other guy from your grave.

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-09 6:19 PM

StuartO - 2015-07-09 5:13 PM....................................It isn't as simple as that Brian and spillages on the road are not always at all easy to spot, diesel especially. ................................

Agreed Stuart, and I'm definitely not advocating adding to the risks: one way or another they affect us all. But we all choose our modes of transport, so should recognise the risks they present, and adjust the way we ride/drive accordingly. It's no good blaming the other guy from your grave.

Live fast , die young .... James Dean just before setting off in the ' little bast@rd ' motor he later died in

I get the same feeling every time I crack up the Capri

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2015-07-09 6:50 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-09 6:19 PM

Live fast , die young .... James Dean just before setting off in the ' little bast@rd ' motor he later died in

I get the same feeling every time I crack up the Capri

Sounds like my Fanny and I :D ...............

Or he could have been like us 8-) we didn't know we had managed to knock the whole grey water emptying pipe off in France until we went to empty nr Mont St Michael !! we remembered on a narrow junction O.H having to take evasive action to avoid a French motorist at a junction and knocking the kerb in Quineville !! I went to open the tap while O.H emptied the cassette (lol) I just stood looking and said "where is it" ?? Thank goodness for Mr Bricarage.

Tracker - 2015-07-06 7:49 PM

It is a disgusting habit that is down to a combination of stupidity, laziness, ignorance and inconsideration and I recommend that you do not drive past the exit to any motorhome show or site, especially on a bike or motorbike, when vans are leaving as the habit is rife and the water can be very slippery when wet which is when even more let the water out because it will not show on the wet road.

Just a thought, (I don't have many :-S ) but when leaving shows people do tend to empty their fresh water tanks as well so we can't assume all "vapour" trails on the road are "grey". All a bit wasteful I know but it can save you fuel.

Archived