Dumping waste water while driving.

Steve928

michaelmorris - 2015-07-07 5:52 PM

Tracker - 2015-07-07 1:06 PM

... I would prefer to see the largest causes of pollution better controlled first and just as road vehicles are continually cleaning up their acts so should power stations, factory chimneys, shipping and aircraft.

The emissions from power stations, factory chimneys (are there any factories left in the UK?) and aircraft are all being clean up. ( I don't know about shipping). Urban and rural diffuse pollution (i.e. not from sewage treatment works) IS the largest single cause of failure to meet environmental quality standards in lowland rivers in England.

Ah, all at sea. Ships leaving ports down in Spain can spew a cloud of particulates over the local town and can make your eyes water. Palamos on the Costa Brava is a good example. A natural deep water port that takes tankers, containers and cruise ships all year round. They leave the engines going while docked for 3 to four days and when they leave the thick acrid smoke can clear the beach and most can imagine what a cruise ships dump at sea. Costal towns have at the most a rudimentary sewage system all around the Mediterranean. Admittedly Parts of Spain are updating their plants and should be up and running by 2999

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

Back on topic ;-) .............

On the way back from Skeggy tip not 15 minutes ago, saw a camper going around Burgh Le Marsh roundabout, dumping its grey water as it headed for the campsite 8-) ............

Was it anyone on here? :D .......

antony1969 - 2015-07-11 1:50 PM...............................Maybe they should as another poster points out go to another forum , unpleasant posting is not allowed at all .... I've even seen members from here getting a public telling off on another forum , shock horror ... Maybe a case of folk in glass houses and all that ?

Indeed Antony. And of course, most of us fail from time to time, and occasionally make ourselves cringe in hindsight. So should we all keep silent, or express our dissent? Costs and benefits both ways, I think. Its a bit like dealing with bullies: stand up to them, or let them win?

Most tiffs are the result of misunderstanding, but among them are the few who goad and provoke until they succeed. In the absence of moderation (as we were seeing) they take over, dominating by belligerence, and others complain they are unpleasant. If moderated, the objectors are satisfied, but the perpetrators then complain about their loss of free speech.

It seems to me that for a few free speech is no more than an excuse for belittling anyone who disagrees with them, especially if they think that person in some way different to themselves. They then complain when their victim retaliates; the true mark of the bully. So, the question is, to moderate, or not to moderate? There's the rub! :-D

Guest Joe90
pelmetman - 2015-07-11 1:34 PM

On the way back from Skeggy tip not 15 minutes ago, saw a camper going around Burgh Le Marsh roundabout, dumping its grey water as it headed for the campsite 8-) ............

Why perpetuate this? Neither you nor anyone else could determine if it was grey or clear water coming out of a moving vehicle, or were you able to collect samples and submit them for analysis. In the absence of any definite proof why make such a statement?

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-07-11 10:43 PM

Why perpetuate this? Neither you nor anyone else could determine if it was grey or clear water coming out of a moving vehicle, or were you able to collect samples and submit them for analysis. In the absence of any definite proof why make such a statement?

I reckon I've seen enough drain taps on campers to know which is which ;-) .......

Do you know of any coachbuilt camper that has a freshwater drain tap on the nearside next to the rear door?............seems a funny place to put the freshwater tank, behind the rear axle? 8-) .......

pelmetman - 2015-07-12 7:46 AM

Joe90 - 2015-07-11 10:43 PM

I reckon I've seen enough drain taps on campers to know which is which ;-) .......

Do you know of any coachbuilt camper that has a freshwater drain tap on the nearside next to the rear door?............seems a funny place to put the freshwater tank, behind the rear axle? 8-) .......

. Err. my Autotrail has its freshwater drain tap at the rear behind the offside rear wheel, but it wasn't me :$

Guest Joe90
I also had a van with the fresh water drain in the same position, as does a pal of mine in our village,with the grey on the opposite side, many vans also have their Truma boilers and their drain valves located in the rear in fixed bed vans, I had one myself, and on many occasions leave it open enroute home in an attempt to remove all the water from the system, but let's not let facts get in the way of supposition for Pelmetmans sake, even though he often describes himself as an I***t on numerous occasions.

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-07-12 8:25 AM

I also had a van with the fresh water drain in the same position, with the grey on the opposite side, many vans also have their Truma boilers and their drain valves located in the rear in fixed bed vans, I had one myself, and on many occasions leave it open enroute home in an attempt to remove all the water from the system, but let's not let facts get in the way of supposition for Pelmetmans sake, even though he often describes himself as an I***t

I stand corrected ;-) ...............Looks like it could be freshwater......

Must of been another skinflint like me B-) .............

Draining his water tank before he arrived on site, to make sure he got his monies worth :D ........

Guest Joe90
pelmetman - 2015-07-12 8:37 AM

I also had a van with the fresh water drain in the same position, with the grey on the opposite side, many vans also have their Truma boilers and their drain valves located in the rear in fixed bed vans, I had one myself, and on many occasions leave it open enroute home in an attempt to remove all the water from the system, but let's not let facts get in the way of supposition for Pelmetmans sake, even though he often describes himself as an I***t

Draining his water tank before he arrived on site, to make sure he got his monies worth :D ........

With apologies to Duncan the moderator,

Or he could have been draining his fresh water system as outlined in my previous post, is that really such a difficult concept to grasp.

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-07-12 8:43 AM

pelmetman - 2015-07-12 8:37 AM

With apologies to Duncan the moderator,

Or he could have been draining his fresh water system as outlined in my previous post, is that really such a difficult concept to grasp.

But which is it more likely to be? ............Fresh or Grey?.......either way it wont endear us to Joe public will it ;-) ..........

Guest Joe90
Brian Kirby - 2015-07-12 10:42 AM

pelmetman - 2015-07-12 10:00 AM.................Fresh or Grey?.......either way it wont endear us to Joe public will it ;-) ..........

Which is, really, the point. No?

It may well have been "grey" water, but it could equally have been fresh water, in which Case presumably no one would be out driving in periods of rainfall, in case a spot of water dirty or otherwise comes their way.

In any event there is simply no proof what it was, but let's ignore that inconvenient truth and think the worst eh ?

As for endearing us to the public in general, I think if asked the reply would be the very best way to achieve that would be to get rid of your vans altogether.

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2015-07-12 10:00 AM.................Fresh or Grey?.......either way it wont endear us to Joe public will it ;-) ..........

Well I thought it was :-S .................

Joe90 - 2015-07-12 11:31 AM............................As for endearing us to the public in general, I think if asked the reply would be the very best way to achieve that would be to get rid of your vans altogether.

Quite possibly, but that opinion is hardly diminished by those who dump water onto the roads. Besides which, I suspect some of the public think what they see is toilet waste. Yes, some vans do tend to unload surplus fresh water when driven, I had one. That is largely unavoidable - though still liable to give a bad impression. But as there are places to dump waste water, why use the road? Beats me.

Joe90 - 2015-07-12 11:31 AM

It may well have been "grey" water, but it could equally have been fresh water, in which Case presumably no one would be out driving in periods of rainfall, in case a spot of water dirty or otherwise comes their way.

In any event there is simply no proof what it was, but let's ignore that inconvenient truth and think the worst eh ?

As for endearing us to the public in general, I think if asked the reply would be the very best way to achieve that would be to get rid of your vans altogether.

"It could equally have been fresh water" strikes me as fanciful and surely if water is being dumped from a MH it is far more likely to be from the grey waste tank. Nor does it seem to me to be reasonable (or even logical) in terms of the consequences for other road users, to compare the dumping of water from a MH with driving in rain. It is illegal to discharge anything on to the highway from a vehicle of course, so trying to defend yourself in court, if got caught and were prosecuted, by claiming it was "only clean water" probably wouldn't get you very far. And nor would the driver of the vehicle following you be impressed by that argument either.

Clealry we shouldn't do it, including because it gives motorhomers a bad name. If we do resort to dumping because we feel we have to, then we should try hard to be both considerate and discrete in the way we go about it.

I've dumped a full tank discreetly in a roadside drain today , the drain on site was not suitable for me to get to .... Do I feel naughty / guilty / dirty ... No , certainly not

The polluting with dirty grey water argument is laughable as we all drive along chucking filth happily out of the exhaust

Guest Joe90

Well perhaps its hardly a scientific or representative sample, but I don't see anyone on here admitting doing it, or advocating doing it, having said that as drive over grey waste dumping facilities are woefully inadequate in the UK, perhaps more provision is part of the answer, our last seven weeks in France as usual presented no difficulties in finding such facilities, or perhaps widely adopting the overflowing grey water hogs is an easier option, often seen, or Pelmetmans suggestion of a bucket with holes in strategically placed under his waste is a solution for some may be taken up as his top tip.

Edit, oops Anthony, they'll be gunning for you now, the next thing you'll admit to is all those lovely chemical car and van wash chemicals finding their way down your kerbside drains, I do mine in a very large plastic bag, then dump it with the dog poo bags, I'm not sure where it goes from there.

Joe90 - 2015-07-12 3:35 PM

a bucket with holes in strategically placed under his waste is a solution for some may be taken up as his top tip.

Hardly a new idea as it was common practise amongst Caravanners of both clubs as far back as the fifties when it was considered normal to carry one's waste water bucket inside another bucker to avoid drips of water in the locker when on the road and separate the two on site!

Guest Joe90
Tracker - 2015-07-12 3:41 PM

Joe90 - 2015-07-12 3:35 PM

a bucket with holes in strategically placed under his waste is a solution for some may be taken up as his top tip.

Hardly a new idea as it was common practise amongst Caravanners of both clubs as far back as the fifties when it was considered normal to carry one's waste water bucket inside another bucker to avoid drips of water in the locker when on the road and separate the two on site!

And take it where exactly, the default advice I recall was dump it in the hedge, I've been round the block as many times as you, even though I live in Wales, and if anyone doesn't regularly see overflowing waste hogs they aren't looking very far.

Joe90 - 2015-07-12 3:48 PM

and if anyone doesn't regularly see overflowing waste hogs they aren't looking very far.

Exactly - nothing new is ever really new.

Perhaps anyone so offended could politley advise the perpetrators of such now deemed dark arts - and do please let us know the responses (lol)

antony1969 - 2015-07-12 3:26 PM

I've dumped a full tank discreetly in a roadside drain today , the drain on site was not suitable for me to get to .... Do I feel naughty / guilty / dirty ... No , certainly not

The polluting with dirty grey water argument is laughable as we all drive along chucking filth happily out of the exhaust

But Antony, that was down a drain, not onto the carriageway. Why should you feel naughty / guilty / dirty? You say you were discreet, so where's the harm? After all, it wasn't exactly sump-oil!

There is an argument about dumping into water courses, because detergents can be harmful to wildlife. I wouldn't agree that because we cause atmospheric pollution via our exhausts we can ignore other polluting activities, but a proper roadside drain can reasonably be assumed to flow to an oil interceptor before it discharges to any watercourse. That is what water authorities are supposed to have ensured. So, IMO, you reasonably used the least-worst practical solution under non-ideal circumstances. Have a Boy Scout badge! :-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-12 6:27 PM

antony1969 - 2015-07-12 3:26 PM

But Antony, that was down a drain, not onto the carriageway. Why should you feel naughty / guilty / dirty? You say you were discreet, so where's the harm? After all, it wasn't exactly sump-oil!

There is an argument about dumping into water courses, because detergents can be harmful to wildlife. I wouldn't agree that because we cause atmospheric pollution via our exhausts we can ignore other polluting activities, but a proper roadside drain can reasonably be assumed to flow to an oil interceptor before it discharges to any watercourse. That is what water authorities are supposed to have ensured. So, IMO, you reasonably used the least-worst practical solution under non-ideal circumstances. Have a Boy Scout badge! :-)

Aaaargh .... I so wanted to be a rebel too .... Ok let's try this one , another motorhome user waved at me on the way home and I totally ignored em , even though I could quite easily have waved and I laughed too .... Take my Boy Scout badge back me finks and call the fuzz , if they can catch me !

Archived