French tour

Hi All.

We are going to France at the end of September (immediately after the Lincoln show). Two of my wifes great uncles were killed in the first World War, so we are going to Arass and Loos. Are there any sites or aires in the vicinity please. As we are away for 4 weeks is it worthwhile purchasing an Acsi book, or will the majority of sites be closed by then? Has anyone any suggestions of places to visit as we also intend going down to the Black Forest.

I am having difficulty obtaining European breakdown recovery. Safeguard can only guarantee a recovery truck with room for one passenger.

The CC Red pennant quoted £134 for 30 days travel in that year.

Any ideas please

Stuart :-D

Nearest ACSI to Arras open at that time is La Paille Haut at Boiry-Notre-Dame, about 12km east. GPS N50.27322 E2.94862

Aire fairly central to Arras at GPS N50.29456 E2.78794. Along edge of a large car park.

Nothing within reasonable distance of Loos, which is pretty much a suburb of Lille.

Whether the ACSI card would be worth getting for one month would depend on where you want to go, and whether there are suitably located ACSI sites.

I think I'd go where the weather is fair, as it usually seems to crack during October. Most of the Black Forest is quite high, so I think I'd go for lower altitudes. Being a wine producing area, Alsace can be good in autumn, as can the Mosel valley. Good selection of sites in both areas open till end Oct, including ACSI card sites.

I assume this isn't the only trip you'll take within the twelve months from September, so a year's breakdown would be more economic, Ii'm with Aviva motor caravan plus, which is insurance and breakdown.

Under 3500K is easier to arrange than over.

An ACSI card could pay for itself in a couple of stays if you plan ahead.

Look up the "romantic street" app if you want to go down south in Germany and the Bordatlas books will give you a list of free stellplatze. Just check the closing dates and don't expect restaurants and pools on the sites to be open.

Brian states the nearest ACSI campsite to Arras that is open all year at Boiry something or other. We stayed there twice in September last year (once at the beginning and then again at the end of September). It's a nice site with some huge pitches (would easily accommodate the largest RV on many pitches) but it's a bit remote. The village is nice but no bar/café and it's about a 10 minute drive from Arras. We were okay (Jack!) as we had our Smart car with us which allowed us to see a number of war grave cemeteries.

We had excellent service from Caravan Club Red Pennant when someone tried to break into our van on a Sunday in Verona. They answered the phone straight away, transferred me to Autoglass, then phoned back to check what was happening. Autoglass phoned as soon as insurers opened on Monday, Carglass Italy called 10 min later. By 16.00 I was leaving Brescia with a new quarterlight and at 1700 Caravan Club called again to check what was happening. But I paid more than you were quoted...£138 for 20days. I couldn't find any restrictions on passenger numbers.

Hi

Thanks Brian. We will take a look at both the Acsi site and the aire. We went through the Black Forest about 10 years ago on our eventual way to Tenerife with the motorhome and it rained almost every day. the colours were beautiful though.

Our van is 4250kgs which has proved difficult to get European recovery for.

The Caravan Club Red Pennant only covered us only for 30 days in the whole year

At the moment Comfort sounds the most promising

Thanks. Stuart

We stayed at Camping de la Trye in Bresles when we visited the WW1 area. This is quite handy for Bouvais, Albert & Thiepville memorial if you want to visit that area too.

They are open all year and give a discount on ACSI price if you stay 7 nights-pay for 6. Site is very good, individual pitches with electricity & water and some have drains too if you ask. Nice little village with few bars/Restaurant and a supermarket close by

http://www.camping-de-la-trye.com/

Mike

Archived