New Hymer Class B 598 PL.

Frank McAuley

Re above I am aware there has always been some fairly heated conversations so perhaps I could tap into the knowledge base re Hymer motor homes, especially the Class B 598 PL :-

1. Does anybody have a working knowledge or otherwise of this model or similar;

2. How would the 'new' Fiat 2.3 engine compare to my present, ie, 160 Multijet - I recall reading somewhere

on this site that the 2.2 engine wasn't up to the job ( accepting that the power/weight ratios would be

different;

3. What about handling or any other useful info?

The last and most important issue : COST. Is there a case for buying in Europe, eg, France or Germany and are options best fitted at the factory or in the UK ?

Having just bought a very similar Hymer new, I can answer some of these questions: some with authority and others with less.

On handling, I was very impressed driving ours back from Dortmund. We had the upgraded 130 bhp engine, but also the maxi chassis, which makes it a little heavier. I don't have much experience of driving new motorhomes, so I can't compare, but compared with a 1980'S Hymer I drove recently or a car and caravan, it drove beautifully. Very stable and perfectly happy at up to 80 ( didn't try going any quicker) and for something weighing 3.5 tonnes and 7.4m long, it cornered very nicely.

Also very quiet. No rattles whatsoever, but that was unladen.

On the cost of buying in Germany. If you look around on www.mobile.de, you will get an idea. There is currently an approximate 20% price difference between the Hymer price list in Germany and England. In addition, if the van you want has been sitting around at the German dealers there are further big discounts to be had.

Our van, with all the options was list price £84,500 in the UK. I had a long negotiation with our local Hymer dealer and he indicated he might go as high as a £10k discount. We bought ours in Germany for just over £55,000 with a 1.38 exchange rate so now it would be slightly cheaper.

We wanted a left hand drive so buying in German wasn't an issue, but if you want a right hand drive things may be very different.

On options, if you want your Hymer water ingress warranty, you need all extras which pierce the skin to be carried out by a Hymer dealer. We got a package deal in Germany for SatNav, Solar Panel, Reversing Camera, Awning and 2nd leisure battery which was competitive with the packages we were offered on vans in the UK. The only problem is that some instructions are only in German, but we have found Englsh versions of everything on the internet with ease.

I think timabob's answer pretty much says it all. The cost advantage varies with the exchange rate, so one can't be categorical. I would leave the radio to be fitted in UK, so that you can choose what goes in. Personally, I wouldn't opt for a factory-fit rear view camera, again because I have my own preferences. I would also avoid a built-in sat-nav, but that is me.

On items that require piercing of the external skin the Hymer warranty is, IMO, fair. If they fit them and they leak, they put it right. If anyone else fits them and they leak, they won't. But if a leak doesn't relate to the piercing (onus to demonstrate that on the owner) the warranty is unaffected.

Ours rattles a bit both laden and unladen in UK, but seldom abroad. Something to do with our roads, I believe! :-D

I've been unimpressed with the build quality on my 2013 BClass 504. Seems to be inferior to my previous 2005 544. Dealer has been good and Hymer has been responsive. None of the issues have been serious but several have been niggly. Rattles abound and all except one are body/build related.

At 3,500kgs, the 598 payload looks insufficient when extras and personal loads are added.

My 504 has the 130bhp engine which is adequate. You'd need at least the 150 although it might be cheaper to tweak the 130 to 150.

If you compare prices with continental dealers, check the specs because UK dealers tend to load the vans. Just make sure you are comparing like with like. I'd expect the continental dealers will be cheaper if for no other reason than the current exchange rate.

Despite my concerns about build quality, my van does exactly what it was designed to do. Look at the Hymer brochure and you will see the attention to details in the design.

We'd have preferred an Arto but they don't do a layout that suits us now. They are a higher level of design though.

Thank you Brock for your comments. Perhaps you might expand on the "ARTO" term as it is new to me!

Have you any info that might explain the issues you have experienced with your model,eg, is it an isolated case or do you think it is a design issue?

The payload issue has 'set me back ' as I thought the construction method might have offered a substantial

Payload.

Thank you and the previous contributors who have offered me such valuable advice; always appreciated Brian's advice in the past.

Frank

Lighting pelmet over kitchen fell out. Hymer were using a new plastic bracket that was not strong enough. Dealer said it was a known problem with the rear bed pelmet and refitted with double sided tape. Ours fell out again so I fixed it with heavy duty velcro and it's stayed put for over a year now.

Driver door window rattled. Hymer's preferred solution failed so dealer replaced whole window under warranty. Still rattles but not as much and not at all on decent roads. I think the windows are too big. Dealer said they'd replaced a few.

Passenger door rattled. Dealer added some padding and it stopped for over 12 months. Now started again but going in for service this month.

Drop down bed has never rested on both plinths. Dealer has failed twice to fix but will have another go.

Kitchen hob rattled - not fitted in with correct screws. Dealer fixed.

All external flaps covering such as water inlet, fuel inlet, electric hook up inlet, no longer close with a 'click' as the plastic catches have broken. Common problem with this make of flaps used in other vans. Hymer no longer fit and the 2015 model has much more robust flaps. I use velcro to hold the diesel flap in place but the others close OK - they just don't 'click'. May be I was too heavy handed.

Broken window stay. The dealer sent the part and I fixed. Common part used in other motorhomes.

Dealer spotted corrosion on alloy wheels and replaced under warranty. I hadn't noticed. Still don't know what the problem was.

The faults are niggly but enough to make me think I wouldn't buy another Hymer. However, they are not serious enough for me to tell anyone not to buy a Hymer. The Fiat base has been reliable with only one fault which the dealer spotted [i didn't] and was fixed under warranty. I think the part was £2 or something.

Had a new windscreen [stone chip within 2" of the edge]. Cost was within the £3,000 windscreen cover on my policy so check you have A-class cover on your insurance.

I think the size of the van will mitigate against a good payload at 3,500kg.

There are far more positives than negatives and the actual design is very, very good with thoughtful touches everywhere. The layout works well for us.

Arto is the base model in the Niesmann & Bischoff range. N&B sit at the top of the Hymer Group hierarchy. Travelworld is the dealer. Had one before and it was the best van we've had.

Guest JudgeMental
the only A class vans IMO that have half a chance of working and that offer realistic payloads @3500 kg are the latest generation of A class from Hymer (exsis range) and Carthago ( C-Compactline)

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2015-07-08 10:13 AM

"..plus the small 6m Pilotes.....

6 m a bit tight for most? Pilote dont have a reputation for lightness...

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2015-07-08 12:55 PM

...in fact, the G600L is a very roomy van indeed....it has a large lounge, huge washroom/shower, decent kitchen.......it acheives this as it isnt a fixed bed van, it has a dropdown in the cab....

But it's either that or jumps to 7 m plus. Sorry others offer more choice. It's not hard to get a 6 m van to work @ 3500 .. And as I said they dont have a good reputation on payloads..,.

Guest JudgeMental
Hawcara - 2015-07-08 9:10 PM

For those of you who've purchased vans in Germany, how do go about transferring funds securely? ??

Use a broker for best rates...shop around and call as get even better rate that way. I have used EASYFX last time and they are fine. Make sure they are FSA approved and hold your money in a nominated account

Archived