thetford grill problem

breakaleg

Hi All,

Not long taken delivery of a new, Sunseeker 115 dealer special (Elddis Autoquest 115) really pleased with the van only a couple of little snags that were quickly fixed by the dealer, the second time out in the van we were on a cl with no electric hook up. when we came to use the grill, it toasted one side of the bread and shut off the gas (perhaps it's trying to tell me to eat less bread?) it would relight straight away but wouldn't stay alight. let it cool down the control knob was extremely hot, but would relight as normal but soon cut off as it got hotter.

Anyway, phoned the dealer and they will let us go elsewhere to get it fixed and they will pay the bill (we bought a long way away from home) our choice, but they told me that there is a fan that keeps the thermocouple cool? never heard of this before and we have had six vans over 30 years, has anyone else heard of this?

The cooker is a Thetford Mini Prima Mk 4.

Any answers.

Pete

Hi Mel

Thanks for that,I had read those posts,but my problem is different the gas doesn't go out and then gets cut off, it just shuts down it gets very hot, according to the boss of warranty at west country motorhomes, there is a fan that cuts in at a certain temperature and cools the thermocouple down,now in thirty years I have never heard of this?

Pete

Are you sure your Thetford appliance is a MINI Prima and not a MIDI Prima?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pntsy9wmmhmij1/Midi-Prima-MK4-GB_INS1014_Issue-2_270611.pdf?dl=0

According to this 2014 MHFacts discussion the Midi Prima Mk 4 has a cooling fan for the oven/grill

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-161881-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

and the Thetford document suggests that this is correct.

Hi Derek,

Yes it is midi, it had been a long day yesterday sorry.

So he was right it does have a cooling fan, have to admit that I have never heard of that before (last three vans were auto sleepers) he said about the fan but I said that I hadn't heard it running, I am using a caravan place near to me that is listed as a thetford service agent, he said that he will order the parts so perhaps it is well known problem, my thoughts are perhaps it hasn't been connected or the fuse has blown, but he won't book us in until the parts arrive, I noticed that it said also cools the oven so perhaps this explains why the oven door is also difficult to open and close when it gets hot?

Thanks both of you for finding the information for me.

Pete

Archived