Group van tests

flyboyprowler

“Which Motorhome” (originally titled “Which Motorcaravan”) is just one of the Warners Group Publications motorhome-related magazines.

http://www.warnersgroup.co.uk/What-We-Do/Magazines/Which-Motorhome/

It has no link to “Which?” magazine

http://www.which.co.uk/about-which/#?intcmp=GNH.About-Us.About-Which

I don’t know how one assesses the ‘reliability’ of this sort of exercise. The scope of the test was defined by Lucie Cranfield as "All the A-classes were tested by Which Motorhome’s highly experienced road-testers, and there were a number of differing opinions between the testers”. The testers’ views will be both objective and subjective, so I suggest you read the article and make up your own mind...

Regarding ‘bias’, a long time ago it was asked on this forum what would happen if a real dog of a motorhome was provided for testing. If I remember correctly, one of the Warners editors said that - in the unlikely event that this did occur - it would be pointed out diplomatically that it might be wise to withdraw the vehicle and resubmit it when the faults had been rectified. This, of course, related to the condition of the motorhome not to design issues.

Common sense should tell you that, if the "Which Motorhome” article deliberately savaged, say, the Rapido models, it would not go down well with the Rapido company nor with the Rapido dealerships that advertise in the Warners magazines - but why should the testers do that?

It should be assumed that testers’ comments will accentuate the positive, but there’s no reason to think they will suppress obvious negatives. In any case motorhome magazine tests are there to amuse and entertain, and anyone who chooses to fork out a big wedge of cash on an A-class model based solely on the test producing ‘winners’ needs his/her head read. As Brock says in the other thread - "Good read for anyone wanting an overview of A-classes."

Having read the magazine, it's best to see these results as an overview of the model tested. I believe they are fairly honest given my knowledge of the models [i'm on my third a-class]. Certainly negatives about the models are mentioned. The scores vary from 3 to 4.5 out of 5.

I think they have written their reports sufficiently for people to take an informed view on the differences. However, these are two page reviews, not full reviews. Allow for pictures and you can guess that in-depth reporting is limited.

Personally, I'd suggest that anyone interested in a new a-class who is inexperienced or just buying their first new aclass would benefit from reading the group test. Experienced a class owners will learn less although having some basic data about the models in one place and keeping abreast of developments has its benefits. Be warned though, none of these are cheap with the prices ranging from £64k to £82k including options.

Thank you Derek, and I agree with your comments. On reflection , it is probably better to go to the owners forum, and ask pertinent questions there.

Thanks John, I am thinking of changing from my Le Voyageur, which I love, but is restricted by weight, to possibly a Carthago on an Iveco chassis, but I can't find any reviews of use.

Archived