Buying a New Low Wattage Kettle

starvin marvin

We bought one from Curry's some years back..

I think it may've been the older version of this:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/3/

..it worked okay..but having been used to a cordless kettle at home , using one with a cord again seemed awkward (even when just filling with a jug)

..and it was quite small, so we did end up getting a "lowish" wattage cordless household kettle..

We've got a prestige gold low wattage kettle on a separate base. Most caravan and motorhome accessory shops sell the same kettle under a variety of different names. Towsure or Riverway do them on line. Capacity is 1.7 L wattage is quoted as 900 to 1100 watts. Works just fine.

We have the Swissluxx 1 litre model (and their low wattage toaster) which has a corded base but cordless kettle and holds enough for two large mugs. Works very well and the shape doesn't take up much storage space - unlike our last one which had quite a large round base. Just search for Swissluxx kettle - costs about £9.95.

David

laimeduck - 2015-07-13 12:22 PM

We've had a Boots travel kettle for a number of years now but they don't seem to be available online now?

It's been great and will deal with the USA voltage. I think it is 800 Watts and does 2 cups.

Try this lot :- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookworks-Y-600-Travel-Kettle-White/dp/B00KD7OJF2

Thanks, but too small.

Checked last night, mothers kettle is a Lloydtron (? ) 1000w and holds 3 cups maybe more, it's seems a bit slow to boil, it is 360deg swivel base cordless.

Unfortunately gf has made a good job of putting our travel kettle away so I can't find it, I can tell you it is around two cup, boils quite fast and is corded.

pepe63 - 2015-07-13 1:28 PM

..it worked okay..but having been used to a cordless kettle at home , using one with a cord again seemed awkward (even when just filling with a jug)

..and it was quite small, so we did end up getting a "lowish" wattage cordless household kettle..

Oops! no idea what I did there..but the link should have been this :$

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/kettles/kenwood-jkp250-travel-kettle-white-22093813-pdt.html#srcid=11026

Cassie - 2015-07-13 1:45 PM

I have a SwissLuxx low wattage cordless kettle, 650 w, 1.2 litre, with a concealed element which I think I bought from Lowhams in Huddersfield. Cost about £14. Does the job.

Me too.

norm

pepe63 - 2015-07-14 11:37 AM

pepe63 - 2015-07-13 1:28 PM

Oops! no idea what I did there..but the link should have been this :$

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/kettles/kenwood-jkp250-travel-kettle-white-22093813-pdt.html#srcid=11026

This looks like a 12v jobby, we want a mains kettle, thats approx 0.7 litre capacity.

Keith T - 2015-07-14 9:36 PM

We have had several over the years. Usually 1 litre capacity and around 800w so usable in Sites in France where you often get 6a max.

Thanks, but which make? and would you recommend one?? That was the point of the post, I'm well aware of the advanrtages re Frog land.

starvin marvin - 2015-07-15 9:54 AM

Keith T - 2015-07-14 9:36 PM

We have had several over the years. Usually 1 litre capacity and around 800w so usable in Sites in France where you often get 6a max.

Thanks, but which make? and would you recommend one?? That was the point of the post, I'm well aware of the advanrtages re Frog land.

Well Marvin, we also have had several over the years including the usual 'caravan' specific types from the likes of Quest but the 1 litre Swissluxx is definitely the best (and best value) we have owned.

David

Our low wattage kettle failed whilst in France recently - it was the thermostat/switch and not repairable. We bought a 1000 watt, 1 litre electric kettle from Leclerc supermarket for 14 euros. Works a treat but had to change the plug to 13 Amp - checked the kettle worked first though by asking our French neighbours on the adjacent pitch if they would try it before I cut the French plug off (just in case I needed to take it back !)

Alan

we bought ours for about £12.00 from the range, that came with two small mugs, I think the kettle is called swann, takes a little while to boil and once boiled won't reboil until it cools down, so you need to be patient and use the hot water as soon as it boils.

Pete

AlanS - 2015-07-15 10:02 PM

Our low wattage kettle failed whilst in France recently - it was the thermostat/switch and not repairable. We bought a 1000 watt, 1 litre electric kettle from Leclerc supermarket for 14 euros. Works a treat but had to change the plug to 13 Amp - checked the kettle worked first though by asking our French neighbours on the adjacent pitch if they would try it before I cut the French plug off (just in case I needed to take it back !)

Alan

Always a good idea to carry a 2pin/3pin adapter with you. We have bought a few electrical items in France/Spain, so the adapter came into use to test them. Had to buy a new iron this year in Spain

PJay

PJay

I agree, only trouble is we do normally take the adaptor but I had left it at home ! At least our neighbours understood what I was saying and even offered to boil the whole litre of water rather than just the 'test amount'.

Alan

PJay - 2015-07-16 1:59 PM

AlanS - 2015-07-15 10:02 PM

Alan

Always a good idea to carry a 2pin/3pin adapter with you. We have bought a few electrical items in France/Spain, so the adapter came into use to test them. Had to buy a new iron this year in Spain

PJay

• 2 weeks later...

Archived