Dismantling Heki 2 rooflight.

malc d

Has anyone removed the inner frame of a Heki 2 rooflight ?

Looks easy enough but some downloaded instructions I've got ( from Dometic ) state :

" ... The inner frame must be detached by two persons and the CABLE CONNECTIONS loosened between the inner and outer frames " ( my capital letters ).

I've started on the job by removing the plastic grille strips but can see no sign of any cable connections - and one or two websites I've visited, where people have done the job before, never mention any cable connections.

Anyone know what / where they are ? ( .. and even what they are for )

The reason I'm doing it ?

The gauze blind is coming away from frame, at one end, and I need to release the blind to fix it.

Thanks

;-)

paulmold - 2015-07-13 7:47 PM

Is your Heki one you wind a handle to open (has cables) or a manual one (no cables)?

It's a manual one.

The instructions / drawings I've down loaded are for the manual one, and there are no cable connections as far as I can see.

But the " text " with the instructions says " the cable connections must be loosened ".

Maybe they are just badly written instructions, but I just don't want any surprises when I take the inner frame down.

;-)

Never removed one but imagine the job won't be nearly as simple as you think.

I needed to replace the gas struts on mine and where they are located at the bottom end, they are held in by pins covered with "blind" plastic caps and try as hard as i could to prise these damn things out i couldn't and had to resort to screwing a small self tapper in to use that to pull the cap covers off.

Absolutely damn stupid. *-)

The price of spares is also scandalous. Just be careful not to crack the dome lid because if you do, the price of that alone is so prohibitive you may just as well buy a complete new unit.

malc d

As well as the standard version, the Heki 2 is offered as a “Delux” model that has 4 integrated lights (2 in each end) that will require electrical wiring and will have cable connectors.

If your Heki 2 does not have lights you can ignore the cable connections reference in the repair instructions.

seitz_heki_2_deluxe_b.jpg.6772975ed3ed614c173808a89872b159.jpg

Bulletguy

I certainly won't be going anywhere near the dome, or the outer frame ( as I don't want to disturb the seal ).

I found a few people who changed gas struts without too much of a problem, but depends how easily you get the plastic caps off I guess.

Derek

Thanks for that. I think you're right.

The actual " exploded " diagrams for the Heki 2 that I downloaded are quite useful, but it seems they have added text that applies to other models as well.

;-)

In case it is of some use to others I'm attaching a few pics to show the " innards " of my Heki 2 rooflight.

Problem was that the gauze blind was coming away from the frame - at the closing end.

Three pics : Heki2A is the complete inner frame as it comes out complete with roller blinds.

Heki2B shows the cause of my problem. The plastic ' thread ' had come out by about 16 cms. This pic sows it half way back in.

Heki2C the final shot after the plastic had been successfully ( but very slowly ) pushed back into the hem / slot of the blind.

Luckily I didn't have to remove either roller blind, so no re- tensioning was involved.

Heki2A.jpg.6427635a27fba0d85e059411a7c9582d.jpg

Hek2B.jpg.7c98fdee2f3d3bed621435da23235f59.jpg

Heki2C.jpg.044b0e25263be126dba5ea1c3702a5aa.jpg

Archived