Filing of gas canisters in France

mikeymay

I thin k I have read that when in France, garages have a facility to fill up the gas canisters that are used to run the cooker and heating.

I have 2 in my Arapaho and it looks like there is a filling point where they are stored.

Is this correct?

Thanks

You can refill [Refillable ] gas bottles in France , Germany Spain and elsewhere of course, but they must be bona fide refillable bottles , If I was as unsure as you appear to be, [no offence intended ] I would get my local  gas outlet to have a quick look at the system before I attempted to refill, or check the supplier of your vehicle.

Not every day calor gas style bottles. I imagine only vans with a LPG setup installed.

In France you will need a different bottle and regulator.

Me, i'd get a second hand bottle and buy a regulator (Detendeur) from the supermarket then swap the bottle for new.

All depends on your setup.

Guest JudgeMental
I thing you need to spend some time familiarising your self with the system. and have it checked if a second hand van that came with it and use demonstrated to you......LPG is lethal stuff. 8-)

Unless you have a proper external filling point you will find French and Portugese LPG sellers reluctant to allow you to fill. I have had the "full inspection" before the pump was turned on on a couple of occasions.

I am not saying that internal filing points are not legal or proper, just that the French and Portugese will not see it that way. Mind you they have had a few fires from idiots using home made adapters to fill cylinders so you can't blame them.

H

Truma’s website has a section about gas-supply in Europe. It evidently relates more to German gas cylinders but may still be of interest

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/gas-supply/gas-supply-europe.php

French regulations regarding user-refillable gas bottles installed in French-registered motorhomes apparently demand that a remote filling-point be fitted a minimum distance from the gas locker and that the bottles be secured in the locker much more ‘permanently’ than is commonplace in the UK. The latter means that a bottle must be bolted to the locker’s floor or secured in place with a strong metal band. The French regulations essentially treat user-refillable bottles as equivalent to user-refillable fixed gas tanks, and this could explain why French autogas-outlet staff might be wary of systems that lack an external remote filling-point. My experience is that larger French autogas outlets (eg. supermarkets) are very unlikely to care whether the filling-point is external or within the gas locker.

Plainly, if assistance with the filling process needs to be sought, there’s greater potential for a filling-station attendant to take issue with a system that meets less stringent UK standards, and it’s definitely not wise (if, say, you have a “SafeFill-type” container) to remove the bottle from the motorhome and take it to the pump for refilling.

Archived