Dogs on ferries

capnjaj

Guest Joe90
capnjaj - 2015-07-14 1:11 PM

I am new to motorhoming and intend to go to France in September. We have a small dog, do they have to stay in the van on the ferry?

Yes, the other alternative is use the tunnel, you and the dogs stay in the van.

\afternoon folks,

We used to use the ferries but the car alarms go off as soon as the ferry hits the first wave which can cause alarm and distress to the dogs, so we now use the tunnel, more expensive but far better and mrs goldi would not now want to go back to the ferries.

norm

For the short Channel crossings (i.e. Folkstone and Dover) the dog stays in the vehicle and we have used both Chunnel and the ferries with no problem at all. I car alarms have gone off during the crossing it hasn't bothered our dog one little bit. You are with the dog throughout in the Chunnel and the actual crossing time is only 35 minutes. On the ferries the crossing time is either 90 minutes or 2 hours and the dogs is alone in the vehicle. Our dog just seems to go asleep; familar surrounding in the MH so no big deal.

For longer crossings it's either put the dog in a kennel or, on some crossings, have the dog with you in your cabin. We haven't tried these. Apparently you can visit your dog in the kennels if you ask.

goldi - 2015-07-14 2:28 PM

We used to use the ferries but the car alarms go off as soon as the ferry hits the first wave which can cause alarm and distress to the dogs, so we now use the tunnel, more expensive but far better and mrs goldi would not now want to go back to the ferries.

If you experienced that with your own alarm then i suggest it needs looking at! In 35 years of using ferries i've never ever come across that....and many vehicles, particularly HGV's are fitted with very sophisticated alarms.

Bulletguy - 2015-07-14 5:11 PM

goldi - 2015-07-14 2:28 PM

If you experienced that with your own alarm then i suggest it needs looking at! In 35 years of using ferries i've never ever come across that....and many vehicles, particularly HGV's are fitted with very sophisticated alarms.

All sophisticated alarm systems and modern cars will have a motion sensor incorporated to prevent jack-up and wheel theft which is what excessive ship movement triggers if the owner has not bypassed it for the crossing.

Archived