Giant electric bike

bertieburstner

You need to establish why you are buying this bike. If you want to throw yourself off a mountain then no doubt this is a good buy. If you only want to jaunt to the local shops and back then the "Chinese Junkers" are more than adequate at a lot less cost.

My junker ( made in Germany) is more than fit for purpose, so I am happy

thanks for all your input. Shortcircuit I don't think I will be throwing myself (or my wife) off a mountain with this ha ha

Am going to have a test ride today to see what it goes like (especially with the motor off)

We normally travel about 25/30 miles each trip out, and have tried the chinese junkers. As Judge says for our purposes they were junk, with a jerky ride and a limited range. Also when the motors packed up they were awful bicycles.

Sorry cant attach pic as it's too big but basically it looks like a shopping bike

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems a good buy but I found a cool electric bike. I really like this bike take a look at this http://www.scootercity.co.uk/electric-bikes/z3-city-electric-bike-24-bright-blue.html

A classical bike style, lightweight easy step through frame for easier and faster mounting and dismounting with the smart pedal assist system. It looks very nice and in affordable price.

How did you get on with the Giant's, i looked at them whe we started looking at e-bikes they were cheap for what they offered but not up to the standard of better bikes.

A only £1000 got to be good buy if you can get on with the zero candence Yamaha motor. Tried so bikes h the yamaha init on the flat great the way the power kicks in with the zero cadance but found the power take up on hills a bit jerky unless peddling flat out.

Even thought the Bosch motor has less power it still gives a better riding experiance but at a price.

well I have had the bike for a few days now so it's difficult to give a proper test yet. I am impressed with the way it goes up our very steep hill near our home. You do have to put quite a bit of effort in, but the power delivery is very smooth, and not jerky at any time.

It came with a 420 watt battery, instead of the 300 watt that Giant says it has, so hopefully it should have a good range. I will report back when I have tried this.

It is quite heavy, but on the flat without wind can be ridden without the motor quite happily.

At the moment I am very pleased with it, but not sure if I would have bought it at the RRP, as I believe the Bosch powered cycles are better. Judge gave me the links to some ebay pages where these types can be bought in Germany at very good prices. (1400/1700 euro's)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived