Driving over 70

Foxy 45

I'm 70 in September and received notification that I had to renew my licence. As I'd heard stories that this could take a long time I returned my application by return.

I got my licence back in 4 days so I gave the DVLA 10 stars and thought they were all good eggs.

But then I panicked when I noticed my C or C1 (whichever it was) has disappeared and it didn't look as though I could drive my motorhome ! However I thought I'd be ok until my birthday but a phone call to DVLA put me right and the restrictions apply straight away. Isn't this a bit daft - shouldn't the new licence take effect on my birthday and not a day before?

Then someone more sensible than me said I could drive my motorhome on the B category as it was under 3500 Kg. There is no mention of Motorhomes in this category and I would never have classified a Motorhome as a car.

I assume I am becoming senile and it may be better for me to give up my licence anyway.

Welcome to the forum Foxy.

No - don't give up - you are simply now entering the wrong side of our ageist society.

You may feel great - run marathons every weekend - climb Everest - or swim the channel - but you are now regarded as a liability to the nation.

( Like me ).

Up to the time when Sir Robin Knox Johnson was 65, he sailed round the world on his own - and skippered many other adventurous exploits - but once he reached 65 he said that people started to suggest that maybe he should take it easy, and told " make sure you have a hat on when it's sunny " etc.

So ignore them all and carry on -------------- !!

Happy travels young man.

;-)

Hi, if you look elsewhere on this forum, I am sure you will find oodles of information re driving and motorhomes and becoming possibly senile..we all get there in time..

seriously though, over 70 licence for "car" permits vehicles up to 3500kg, and your application must have included a declaration that you are still fit and able..

To get a licence for larger vehicles involves a medical and might just confirm your "worry" that you might be going gaga..

stay with the 3500 limit and drive carefully, and enjoy it while you can..

ps I am 77 and still going, long may it continue.

tonyg3nwl.

Foxy 45 - 2015-07-15 11:06 PM

What do you think about losing license categories 3 months before reaching 70 just because I was a good boy and got my application in as soon as it arrived?

Nothing.

What about people who have their licence suspended for an entire year because of a life long medical condition.....yet some ass hole who gets p*ssed ends up with a few penalty points and a piddly little fine.

Try living with that.

Foxy 45 - 2015-07-15 11:06 PM

What do you think about losing license categories 3 months before reaching 70 just because I was a good boy and got my application in as soon as it arrived?

Appalling, probably a case of "computer says no". (!)

Interestingly, if you send it in on time, but they delay sending it back, you retain your entitlements until they return it.

The medical isn't a big deal, or expensive, if you are reasonably fit.

I reckon sub 3500K MH's are going to be very popular.

Archived