Solar Panel setup

sakofox

We are having a 100w solar panel fitted soon. We have space for only one leisure battery and I want your thoughts on this question. The firm that is going to fit the panel has said that it is not necessary to use the excess from the SP to top up the van battery, it would be an extra £60 so I would be better off running the engine for 10 minutes in the winter to top it up?

I thought it was all part of the controller not an extra. So do I spend an extra £60 or do as they recommend and save my money?

Hi. Save money and run a separate cable from the leisure battery positive to the vehicle battery positive with a 10 amp fuse in-line, make the fuse easily accessible so that you can easily remove it when you want to start the engine. (otherwise it will blow) Then when vehicle is stationary replace the fuse and the vehicle battery will be charged as well as the leisure. The garage were probably going to fit a battery mate which does the same thing and costs about £60. Mike.

Guest Joe90

Depends how long your van sits idle, but for me it's a no brainer, spend the £60 for a fit it and forget it solution.

Although I do the same as the poster above, but I'm a cheap skate. :D

When I got my solar panel fitted, at a show, there were three companies offering the service and it wasn't at all clear which ones knew their business properly. We chose based on credibility rather than price and subsequently discovered we had chosen well, but without understanding why at the time.

The quality of the installation depends on the quality of the controller they use and its compatibility with your MH's electrical control system. Two of the three firms we looked at were going to fit a standard (and probably cheap) controller, wired directly to the leisure battery. Oh no said the third company, your Hymer must have a Schaudt controller which is compatible with your Schaudt Electroblok, which will then automatically direct charge to both leisure and engine batteries. This controller cost an extra £50 or so, I can't now remember - but it was clearly the best choice.

I suggest that you satisfy yourself about exactly what they are proposing to do - and certainly pay the extra to get the proper controller, if that's what it needed. Installing a system which only charges the leisure battery sounds to me like they are not doing a proper job. And buy from a company that you can take it back to if there are problems, not some outfit that just sells at shows.

Did they say run the engine for 10mins, or is that your interpretation of what they said?

As above, fitting the panel to only charge the leisure battery is wasting its potential to keep the vehicle battery fully charged when not in use.

I was recommended this firm by a satisfied customer. They do fit at shows but also have facilities etc. I was impressed that the man didn't try to sell me something for the sake of it. But I get the impression that it is a no brainer and I should get it all done at once.

I did find a relay kit that does what I want without altering the existing set up, for £22, but I am not an electrician.

Your Autotrail will probably have a Sargent power control system. A solar panel can be connected directly into this (Sargent supply a spacial connecter), the Sargent systen then controls the charge and its distribution to leisure or vehicle battery.

Hi , yes we have a Sargent unit. The company we spoke to said that they do not touch the Sargent unit, and that it was a cheap piece of kit and they used a better led unit.

To be honest I thought the Sargent unit was set up for a solar panel and I was not sure why they were not going to use it.

Thanks for the advise. I will get a system that charges both batteries. I currently have quotes from these recommended suppliers; Detroit Solar, Auto Additions , SMC and they quotes range from £399 - £699.

So if any of you have anymore companies that you can recommend please let me have them. My main priority is to get a quality product and fitting that I can forget about and not worry 6 months down the line that I should have spent more and got better. (lol)

I have a VOTRONIC regulator which has an outlet for a second (starter battery) just run a wire from this to the positive lead on the starter battery fused with a 10amp fuse. It will only give about one amp to the second battery plenty to keep it charged if its standing without use for long periods. I did this job myself.

I fitted fitted my own version of the fuse link between the batteries. Adding a double pole single throw switch and flashing LED. The flashing LED warning when the batteries were connected, and also warning if the fuse had blown by not flashing at all in either switch position ,I added a note by the switch saying , SWITCH OFF BEFORE STARTING ENGINE. I will try to add a circuit diagram

Brian B.

EPSON002.jpg.8d8474f54ab859d27a517a325dd8123c.jpg

I am not an electrician, this MH is my biggest investment , except the house, an I want someone I can trust to wire via the Sargent unit. Not a 'yes we will wire to the battery and charge £199 at xx MH show' an you recommend auto additions to fit a solar panel?

Jonboymentalhealth - 2015-07-18 9:53 AM

He did a good neat job on mine, works well no problems and well sealed on roof, he also did my snipe and twin lens reversing camera!

Do you have a Sargent unit in your MH and did Tyrone wire the solar panel into it or did he fit a separate controller?

I have to agree with the previous comments about running the engine for ten minutes. it certainly won't even replace the power from the battery that was required to start it. As for a change over controller from the solar panel that is the way to go, it seems that your installer couldn't be bothered to do a professional job as you would at least expect. The Sargent system fitted to your Auto-Trail is one of the best and the technical back up is first class. If you need any advice there is always someone there to advise you, they are only a phone call away.

Archived