Pre loaded cards

lynneroy

I have a Thomas Cook card. They generally offer the best exchange rate locally and as far as I can recall the only time they make a charge is if you don't use the card for a period of time. Even then it's only something like £2 after 14 months.

Also, unlike the Post Office card I had before, it works in the automatic pumps at unattended fuel stations and in automated toll booths.

Andy

We use a Caxton euro card which we load when the the rate is up. There is no charge for using it to draw cash and in some places can be used as a debit card but some people have had problems using them for paying for fuel in automated petrol pumps in France we haven't had that problem.

There are other pre-loaded cards and I am sure others will come on to tell you about them but we only have knowledge, through use, of the Caxton.

Hi, our card came through the local coop travel service, and has been used just the same as a debit card, just have to enter the pin when required.

we havent had any problem at fuel pumps either,...not sure what rate we got, but it worked wherever we tried it in France.

it looks just like a visa debit and is preloadable by phone if required.

tonyg3nwl.

Guest Joe90
Must confess I don't know why anyone would bother with a pre loaded card, we just use our normal Visa debit card, never a single issue anywhere including automated pumps, and the costs are minimal in any event, and considering we were paying only around 85p per litre for fuel during our last trip to France I'm more than happy to pay the tiny bit extra to the CO-OP bank without any faffing about carrying extra cards.

I just loaded my Caxton card. The website is down, the mobile phone top up is down so I waited 15 mins on the phone and was then told that I could have £500 worth maximum.

I have done it and will carry on with Caxton until I have used up my Euros, then I will look around.

Good job I wasn't trying to load the card from abroad and paying for the phone call!

H

We have a preloaded card from TESCO Travel OK for getting money out, but not sure it is any good for use a a CC. But I found that using my Nationwide CC for large amounts, campsite/fuel, got a good rate of exchange

PJay

For joe90 information, the card we use is not directly related to uk bank account so if it should go astray, it is only the Euros that we lose, not complete bank contents..

better that than having someone access our bank..just a security thought.

tonyg3nwl.

Guest Joe90
tonyg3nwl - 2015-07-16 3:47 PM

For joe90 information, the card we use is not directly related to uk bank account so if it should go astray, it is only the Euros that we lose, not complete bank contents..

better that than having someone access our bank..just a security thought.

tonyg3nwl.

Well assuming you don't keep your pin written down and with your card, I'm not sure anyone could access your bank account, and certainly not it's entire contents, my PIN is memorised, and shielded from view when using an ATM, and is limited to £250 a day in any event, so zero security concerns for me, and my card is always in my possession and kept very safely on my person, I'd know in an instant if it went astray and notify my bank.

But I must say I'm mystified that anyone would assume their usual debit / credit cards would be any less safe than they are in the UK, or do folk get a sterling pre loaded card when they pop down to the shops, just in case it goes astray, sorry but it all seems nonsensical and bordering on paranoia to me.

As I understand it, one of the main advantages of the pre loaded card is that you get the exchange rate at the time of loading the card. With debit cards etc. you get their exchange rate at the time of use. With the present Pound to Euro rate surely buying Euros now to spend later must be a good deal?

Cattwg :-D

We have used a Caxton card for some years, but only use it instead of needing to carry much cash. It has worked, without any charge, on all ATMs we have used in Spain or France. Apart from that we have a post office credit card which we only use abroad as there is no charge for using it. This pays for our fuel, self service or otherwise, most supermarket shopping and for meals. Both help to keep costs down without any hassle.

Happy hols everyone and hope no one is stuck in Calais.

Guest Joe90
Cattwg - 2015-07-17 6:52 PM

As I understand it, one of the main advantages of the pre loaded card is that you get the exchange rate at the time of loading the card. With debit cards etc. you get their exchange rate at the time of use. With the present Pound to Euro rate surely buying Euros now to spend later must be a good deal?

Cattwg :-D

Not so good if it subsequently goes up further after you've pre loaded a card ;-)

Joe90 - 2015-07-17 7:51 PM

Not so good if it subsequently goes up further after you've pre loaded a card ;-)

Are you a "glass half full" or a "glass half empty" kinda guy?

(Don't get upset, for most of my life I was glass half empty, then some b*****d stole the glass. :'( )

lynneroy - 2015-07-16 10:21 AM

Can anyone advise us if there is a card we could load with euros whilst they are at a good rate and not be charged too much for using it to withdraw money abroad?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lynne

Pre loaded cards are a good idea.

We use Caxton card we load it in £500 lumps when the exchange rate is good, if it goes up we put more on if it goes down we leave it until we are in Europe. We load more by on it by text (transferred from our connected account) as needed. When we need cash we withdraw what we think will need for the the coming week at any ATM (FOC). We check the balance regularly by text.

You do need at least one other method of payment we take a Barclaycard Credit card and a bank debit card for pay at pump fuel and on rare occasions when we use tolls.

It is perfectly safe unless you are very lax with security. The worst case is you loose or have the card stolen and have £250 daily withdrawal maximum until you report it missing. We have a spare card attached to the account so we can carry on using the account if the first card is stopped.

Guest Joe90
candapack - 2015-07-17 8:02 PM

Joe90 - 2015-07-17 7:51 PM

Are you a "glass half full" or a "glass half empty" kinda guy?

(Don't get upset, for most of my life I was glass half empty, then some b*****d stole the glass. :'( )

No, I'm just a guy that I simply can't get excited that I may get a couple more cents exchange rate, it simply never occurs to me, I'm going on my jollies, not studying economics

and a guy that thinks life is too short to faff around with pre=loaded cards.

can't see the point,............each to their own though eh ?

Archived