Using 2 bays to park

Will86

Guest Peter James
terry1956 - 2015-07-19 8:44 PM

sheer lunar-see - 2015-07-16 9:37 PM

NEVER have the problem over here in France, very rare that you even have to pay for parking, let alone two tickets for a campervan, so when they charge 10euros for a space on a aire including electric and water, who cares, sounds cheap don't it !!!! How much do you pay for your 2 tickets just for the day? no overnighting. Then there's your road tax, how much is that now? Zero, over here.

having lived in France for a number of years you can stuff it. The French hate work, lie about most things re work and yes transport is cheaper for sure, but get your house priced and see the drop. makes the price of parking in the UK cheap.

Are you saying Britain's higher housing costs makes up for its higher parking fees and higher public transport fares *-)

Guest Peter James
Will85 - 2015-07-16 6:18 PM

the law is one bay one vehicle one ticket. Buying 2 tickets is unlawful.

I love all these silly council car park laws If anybody complains about my van parking on the road for free I can say I can't pay twice for the Pay & Display car park because its unlawful :-D

Slightly different tack (sorry) you had used to be able to park all day for free in Minehead with a blue disabled badge, but in recent years this has been changed to three hours, I don't mind contributing but what they didn't say was whether or not you could pay extra at the time of arrival to stay longer in my case, it would take me three hours to walk the from the van to the top of the high street and back without stopping, unfortunatly, I would need several rests to go that far and would like to have a drink or maybe a meal, so I phoned the number on the ticket machine and it took twenty minutes for a definite answer. lol

but each council has wildly different ways of handling blue badge holders.

Pete

Guest Joe90

I know this will probably rock the boat, but I could never understand why blue badge holders are deemed to be more skint than the rest of us, and get their parking for free.......................especially given the amount of very expensive Mobilty cars around the place, apparently ALL of these folk are unable to to walk 50m (164ft) unaided, that's worth repeating 50 meters unaided, which is the qualifying criteria, which opens the door for a brand new car with all costs found, or a VAT free Motorhome purchase, courtesy of the tax payer, and free parking with their blue badge to boot.

And before anyone jumps on me from a great height, I'm not knocking the genuinely disabled, but there are a lot of folk out there milking the system big time.

Guest Joe90
Will85 - 2015-07-20 7:31 PM

Being skint or not doesn't apply Joe, its the walking and if you know of someone who is 'milking the system' then I suggest you put pen to paper.

No, still don't get it, I park in a car park and pay, and someone with a Blue Badge does exactly the same but doesn't pay, why ?

as for people milking the system I defy anyone not to observe the "disabled" bays on their local supermarket car park and not come to the conclusion that there is widespread fraud and abuse of the system, just witness how many people they see that really have extreme difficulty walking, not many in my experience, and don't forget, just 50 meters unaided, that might just get you up one aisle, odd then that they manage several aisles, just the same as any able bodied person. >:-(

A much bigger issue is young men parking in disabled bays because they are too lazy to walk far. My local gym has several fitness fanatics who take pride in using the bays next to the door. I mentioned it to one and got a mouthful of abuse.

Our local hospital was rebuilt at nearly £1 billion and put the disabled bays 100 yards away.

Haven't really seen the widespread abuse you mention, so let's get back to the thread, can you overhang a space, pay for two, or use a coach park as you can at Bicester Village outlet?

Ignoring any debate about whether one should be charged for parking at all, to me it doesn't seem unreasonable for a council to charge double for using two parking bays. You won't expect an airline to only charge you for one seat if you used two of them would you?

Playing devil's advocate, given the very small proportion of vehicles on the road that are motorhomes (about 0.35%), one could argue that making special long parking spaces for motorhomes might be an unreasonable cost and loss of income for cash-strapped councils.

Relative ease of parking is one of the reasons we bought a van that is only 5.4 meters long.

Guest Joe90

Which will still not help given that many councils adopt the minimum space of 4.8 x 2.8 meters. :-S

And perhaps they wouldn't be so cash strapped if the heads of these councils were not paid ludicrous salaries, usually at least double that of the Prime Minister. >:-(

And it might be worth remembering councils are public bodies there to serve the public............unlike airlines that are purely commercial operations. ;-)

Whilst I agree that the salaries paid to some CEOs is obscene, the amount they earn is a minute part of a council's budget.

I think the key issue here is whether it's fair to charge someone double for taking up two car parking spaces.

Personally I can't see it is unreasonable. As has already been pointed out, lots of inconsiderate idiots take up spaces reserved for disabled people, so I don't see that putting a few extra large spaces for the very occasional motorhome is going to be well respected.

Is it a pain not having dedicated spaces for motorhomes - yes. Can I honestly expect my local council to provide priority parking for motorhomes at a time when their children's services team has shrunk from 28 staff to 2? I know what I would want them to spend my money on!

Guest Peter James

Interesting programme on TV (Dispatches Ch4) about why councils are so cash strapped.

You might think councils could borrow cheaper than us given their credit rating, and the salaries they pay to their financial experts to search out the best deal for their council tax payers *-) . Yet Cornwall Council for example is paying 7.5% on many £millions of borrowings.

Guest Peter James
michaelmorris - 2015-07-23 11:53 PM

Whilst I agree that the salaries paid to some CEOs is obscene, the amount they earn is a minute part of a council's budget.

It isn't just the CEO's though ... it sets a precedent for the rest of the troughers. They are not going to compare their own salaries with the workers and make themselves look overpaid. They will inevitable compare their own salaries with the CEO so they all look underpaid.

If huge disparity of pay led to better management as claimed there might be some justification for it. But where is the evidence that it does? I think the bankers proved it doesn't.

Archived