Late arrival Calais

Spadge

Getting into Calais @ approx. 2330hrs @ end of July, heading for Spain. Wissant Aire no doubt will be full. Anyone have a suggestion as to the next possibility for an overnight. Expecting Cite Europe to be a no no ? Is it ? Thanks in advance for any info :-S

Given your time of arrival do you really want to be really want to be groping around in the night looking for an aide? Park in the Calais dock parking area which we always do, as contrary to popular opinion in practice it's very safe.

Is that the parking area for loading back to Dover ?In the past we have always arrived early afternoon so have never looked for or noticed an area for parking, straight off the boat and away so no idea where the parking area is. Is it easy to get to ? Many thanks I might add :-D

It's the turning at the dock just yards before the one you take for the passport control when returning to Dover - signed 'Without Tickets".

When you unload from the ferry immediately take the slip road signed 'Calais' or "Calais Centre". Then at the small roundabout you will pick up the signs for getting back to the loading/parking area. Basically you just drive out of the port and back in again within yards.

Someone no doubt will have the coordinates for the parking area itself.

Used it two weeks ago and not a sign of trouble.

Ron

With reference to Cite, I have asked for travellers actual experience and have as yet to get a negative response with sightings of one or two migrants as against the reported 100s at the docks.

I have stayed overnight at the docks, but never again, as you will get very little sleep with ferries coming and going all night.

You could try Boulogne as there is an area on the right as you come into town on the D940 however I would suggest a look at Cite first and if your not happy move on.

Please feedback what you found/did.

We have stayed at Cite Europe many times and never had any problems. The last time was end of March returning back to UK, we did see a couple of uninvited guests talking to the Gendarmes but no problems. There is security driving round during the night.

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2015-07-17 8:30 AM

With reference to Cite, I have asked for travellers actual experience and have as yet to get a negative response with sightings of one or two migrants as against the reported 100s at the docks.

I have stayed overnight at the docks, but never again, as you will get very little sleep with ferries coming and going all night.

You could try Boulogne as there is an area on the right as you come into town on the D940 however I would suggest a look at Cite first and if your not happy move on.

What about Hugh? Hughman. Two lads hid behind his bike rack cover only discovered at eurotunnel gas check when he swung rack open to get to gas locker?

A little bit of diligence would have prevented this alleged incident. I am about to fit a rack to my MH and would question how two individuals could conceal themselves in it but??

It's all about how you feel where you park and if you are not happy move on. Unfortunately there are unsubstantiated claims made about Cite and when I asked for specifics very little confirmation has been given.

Speaking to a fellow Brit last night he mentioned a friend who had been 'trapped in' at Cite de Europe earlier this week by trucks completely blocking all the access roads, presumably connected with the current industrial action. Can't say how accurate the assertion was.

If it were me arriving at 11.30pm in Calais and heading south, I'd be inclined to drive for an hour (60 miles) down the autoroute and stay at Baie de Somme services.

Mike

For the ferry terminal parking see att'd map, you need to use the free 'P2' area.

If not there are a few places along the D940 between Sangatte and Wissant where you can nestle in for the night,, pm me if you need more details.

Pete

1348732398_terminalparking.thumb.JPG.48bbd8eb1b7b7030375432e66f7a563d.JPG

sshortcircuit - 2015-07-17 8:30 AM

The trouble at Calais is on the approach roads to the docks and not the docks themselves otherwise us and many others wouldn't stay there. As for ferry noise in all the years we have used the parking area I can honestly say Iv'e never noticed the noise of one docking yet, and I'm a light sleeper!

Ron

I suspect much of the problem with old reports is going to be that as the situation is changing so fast they will be unreliable. There are now a reported 5,000 would-be illegals in the Calais area, and they have become very bold, probably because their number gives them greater confidence. The French police are ineffectual, mainly it seems because they are not being directed on what to do, plus I suspect there are by now insufficient of them to attempt radical action. The strikes, and the ensuing chaos, are just adding further diversions for the already overstretched police resource.

We don't stay at Calais: tried the port aire once in 2005, and had the most disturbed night ever between vans being driven around half the night - including idiots with audible reversing warnings - and ferries coming and going all night, so the next morning was very bleary! But I would do as suggested above: get well clear and find somewhere quiet where you can get a good night's sleep - especially at the beginning of a long trip.

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-17 4:45 PM

I suspect much of the problem with old reports is going to be that as the situation is changing so fast they will be unreliable. There are now a reported 5,000 would-be illegals in the Calais area, and they have become very bold, probably because their number gives them greater confidence. The French police are ineffectual, mainly it seems because they are not being directed on what to do, plus I suspect there are by now insufficient of them to attempt radical action. The strikes, and the ensuing chaos, are just adding further diversions for the already overstretched police resource.

We don't stay at Calais: tried the port aire once in 2005, and had the most disturbed night ever between vans being driven around half the night - including idiots with audible reversing warnings - and ferries coming and going all night, so the next morning was very bleary! But I would do as suggested above: get well clear and find somewhere quiet where you can get a good night's sleep - especially at the beginning of a long trip.

Brian the aire I mean is the marina one not the port, it is very quiet.

rupert123 - 2015-07-17 5:04 PM.............................Brian the aire I mean is the marina one not the port, it is very quiet.

Yes, I'd realised that was the one you meant, Henry. We didn't use it, but I have looked at it in Google Earth, and agree it should be reasonably quiet - fellow motorhomers possibly excepted!

As ever, folk need to make an assessment when they arrive which, it seemed to me, was going to be a bit difficult at about midnight when it is inevitably dark. If I were Barry I think I'd go further on, under present circumstances.

But, the circumstances seem to change by the day: it could all be over by end July, or worse. Chaos rules, methinks!

spospe - 2015-07-18 10:33 AM

The last post of the Judge that I can see, is the one above this one timed at:

Posted: 17 July 2015 8:46 AM

As far as I can see it is entirely innocuous: what has the lad

Didn't see the offending post , can only assume it was another insult to another member , something Duncan points out he has been warned about on many occasions

It's a shame , his advice on certain subjects helped many .... Shame he couldn't take on board his comments of last week about some on here not lasting two minutes on a ' properly moderated ' forum

He's over on Fruitcakes I think

"""Getting into Calais @ approx. 2330hrs @ end of July, heading for Spain. Wissant Aire no doubt will be full. Anyone have a suggestion as to the next possibility for an overnight. Expecting Cite Europe to be a no no ? Is it ? Thanks in advance for any info """

If you are docking at 2330hrs, give a few minutes for getting off ferry and you are talking midnight. Some people are complaining about noise from ferries coming and going at the docks, well if you wish to park up in an Aire or Car Park at that time of night, think about the noise you are going to create. I know I have parked up with no other motorhomes around me and woke up in the morning and have been surrounded by them and didnt hear a dicky bird

Barney123 - 2015-07-18 2:07 PM

"""Getting into Calais @ approx. 2330hrs @ end of July, heading for Spain. Wissant Aire no doubt will be full. Anyone have a suggestion as to the next possibility for an overnight. Expecting Cite Europe to be a no no ? Is it ? Thanks in advance for any info """

If you are docking at 2330hrs, give a few minutes for getting off ferry and you are talking midnight. Some people are complaining about noise from ferries coming and going at the docks, well if you wish to park up in an Aire or Car Park at that time of night, think about the noise you are going to create. I know I have parked up with no other motorhomes around me and woke up in the morning and have been surrounded by them and didnt hear a dicky bird

I'm with Barney. Assuming that Spadge is driving from home he is starting out at the end part of the day on an approx six hour driving/ferry journey and arriving about midnight. If he cannot get a decent nights sleep after that I'll eat my hat - and he will be safe. Others are suggesting driving around Calais at the dead of night and even seeking out a service station of all places. Each to his own I suppose.

Ron

Thank you for all the advice folks, starting from out from Leicestershire it seems swmbo would rather stop off as soon as possible and I tend to agree with Ron / Barney & my other half, so Dock parking it is going to be...................I think :-D..... Info ref actual experience will be forthcoming on our return... :D

breakaleg - 2015-07-18 12:35 PM

If you were to park on the ferry car park and someone stowed away on your van, they would have a hell of a shock if they woke up and found themselves half way to Spain. 8-)

Like the sense of humour :D

Archived