Continental Insures for UK driving

Will86

Hi

I'm also having a problem with insuring a car in the UK. I live in Switzerland, but now I'm retired, thought I'd get a little run-about to keep at my son's house. The MH is bit unpractical for local shopping etc and we plan to visit regularly travelling leisurely up and back with the MH.

My old UK broker refused flatly. Said "that I'm not UK resident!". Equally my Swiss broker refused. It seems to be a problem. I'm still searching.

Alan

manxli - 2015-07-17 8:00 PM

Hi

I'm also having a problem with insuring a car in the UK. I live in Switzerland, but now I'm retired, thought I'd get a little run-about to keep at my son's house. The MH is bit unpractical for local shopping etc and we plan to visit regularly travelling leisurely up and back with the MH.

My old UK broker refused flatly. Said "that I'm not UK resident!". Equally my Swiss broker refused. It seems to be a problem. I'm still searching.

Alan

You can only insure a vehicle in your country of residence so your old UK broker was right in telling you that you are "not UK resident"!!

Why not get your son to take the insurance in his name and address with yourself named as an additional driver?

Try following up on string in this link: http://tinyurl.com/ozhs2mz

HBA seem to be able to obtain insurance that is used by UK government agencies for vehicles used abroad under unusual circumstances. Can also insure individuals wanting to drive foreign registered vehicles here and abroad. Insurances can also be obtained on a monthly basis, if required.

No idea what the premiums would be, though, or whether the deciding factor would be residency or nationality. Please say how you get on, as it may also be of interest to some of our Aussie and Kiwi visitors.

Archived