St Malo/Caen parking

PJay

Any one know of somewhere close to park overnight , site/aire , at the above? Our normal return crossing from Cherburg, will have ceased running, by the date we want to return to Portsmouth, on our next trip September. Have to decide whether to come back via St Malo or Caen

Thanks in advance

PJay

When we have sailed into St Malo previously after an overnight crossing there were many motorhomes on the dock side waiting to return. As it was early morning I thought that they must have stayed there overnight. They could have stopped somewhere close by though. There is plenty of room. Caen has a very large parking area as well but I've never parked there overnight.

There is an excellent aires at Rothenuef but be warned, ensure you have a flexible ferry booking, as you will not want to leave. Will admit been a couple of years since I have been, but what was a municipal camp site and varied between an aires and a campsite(July & August) went totally Aires. Large pitches with HUs on bus route and superb beech. Not free and at a guess >€10 but not sure but well worth it.

Enjoy

Thanks for the replies, guys. We do prefer Campsites, but don't mind paying , for an aire more chance of getting a space. It will only be as a stop over prior to ferry, so don't need village/walks or anything, and we don't have bikes, just a safe stop over is all that is required not to far from ferry, if possible,.It will depend on replies as to where we debarque from.. Been a long time since we went to St Malo, but knew it well in our sailing days.

I have only just found out that we can't come back from Cherburg, so need to look into alternative crossing, but still to Portsmouth, as we live only a short hop from the ferry terminal.

PJay

There is an 'Aire' listed at St Malo, but it actually alongside the main road near the fishing warehouses from memory. Personally I wouldn't want to use it. Other than the waiting area for the ferry, I think most of the parking nearby is height restricted.

Last year we were there and stayed at the aire at Cancale, which just happed to be at the terminus for the bus to St Malo, if needed. and an easy drive to the ferry when required. I think it started life as a municipal campsite, but now is a full facility aire. Very good for walking around the area also.

PJay - 2015-07-19 8:24 AM

Any one know of somewhere close to park overnight , site/aire , at the above?

Thanks in advance

PJay

Nearest campsitesite to Ouistreham ( Caen ) is Les Pommiers - which is about half a mile from the dock - so takes about 5 minutes - or less - to get there.

There is an 'aire ' arrangement inside the site,(or you can pay full camping fee ) - and the barrier opens from 7 am. for the early ferries.

Plenty of Brits use it.

;-)

Don't rely on an aire in St Malo we couldn't find one. Ive just looked in my Camperstop guide and found what looks a good one at 12 eur

N 48deg 40'50" W1deg 57'45"

or N48.680672 W1.962700

its on Avenue de la Guimorais (D201)

35400 St Malo

Good luck safe journey.

maggyd - 2015-07-19 1:22 PM

Don't rely on an aire in St Malo we couldn't find one. Ive just looked in my Camperstop guide and found what looks a good one at 12 eur

N 48deg 40'50" W1deg 57'45"

or N48.680672 W1.962700

its on Avenue de la Guimorais (D201)

35400 St Malo

Good luck safe journey.

Thanks Maggyd

That is the one At Rotheneuf, advised by Shortcurcit above Aire Camping Car Les Ilots, open April to November. Did a google and found it at ukcampsite.co.uk, so maybe a site?

We are not going until end of August, and have to get back before 1st October. Have looked in ACSI, problem with France, they start shutting down in September, and some before the end

It has been a great help to have others views on stopping places

PJay

We have stayed on the aire at Ouiestreham on two occasions and hope to do so again next month. It DOES get busy but we have turned up around mid afternoon on the two occasions we have stopped and there has been plenty of room. I think we paid €7 / night.

Very short walk into town and enjoyed fabulous food and service. Two minute drive to the ferry port queue - perfect.

malc d - 2015-07-19 12:08 PM

PJay - 2015-07-19 8:24 AM

Any one know of somewhere close to park overnight , site/aire , at the above?

Thanks in advance

PJay

Nearest campsitesite to Ouistreham ( Caen ) is Les Pommiers - which is about half a mile from the dock - so takes about 5 minutes - or less - to get there.

There is an 'aire ' arrangement inside the site,(or you can pay full camping fee ) - and the barrier opens from 7 am. for the early ferries.

Plenty of Brits use it.

;-)

We normally overnight at the “Les Pommiers” campsite before catching the early-morning Ferry from Ouistreham. There’s a hard-standing area dedicated to (reduced-price) motorhome parking and some details and photos are here

http://www.campercontact.com/en/france/basse-normandie-o-14-61/ouistreham/22955/motorhome-parking-camping-municipal-des-pommiers.aspx

If you use the GOOGLE map option offered on the that link you’ll see the motorhome area is towards the top-left part of the campsite and that there’s a roundabout above it. This roundabout is on the main Ouistreham-Caen road and it does generate a fair amount of heavy-vehicle traffic noise - but it’s probably still quieter than being on the aire by the ferry-port.

Parking at the ferry-port itself is now much trickier for bigger vehicles than historically, with the closest large car park that used to be totally free now carrying charges and (if I remember correctly) a relatively low vehicle-weight limit. If you inadvisedly drove a motorhome in, you might find it a helluva job getting out...

Brittany Ferries offers advice here

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/ports/caen

PJay - 2015-07-23 11:51 PM

sshortcircuit - 2015-07-20 10:12 PM

It looks like site at Rothenuef is now an Aires

http://www.ville-saint-malo.fr/tourisme/campings-aire-camping-cars/aire-daccueil-camping-cars-des-ilots/

It looks pretty good, and 7e a night .

Your info appears more up to date than the UK campsite, info.

PJay

The campingcar-infos entry for the St Malo aire indicates that the 2015 charge varies from €5.40 to €12 according to the time of year, with high-season running from 16 June to 15 September. The tarif is for an emplacement, 2 people and electricity, with ‘services’ (presumably fresh water) costing a further €3. Opening dates (2015) are said to be 19 March to 16 November.

Archived