channel tunnel gas-check procedures

brom

brom - 2015-07-19 10:47 PM

gocro - 2015-07-19 9:48 PM

I had the same problem on our PVC what I fitted was a bulkhead port available at chandlers or e-bay.

That's intriguing - was your PVC's gas locker wooden, so you could easily cut a suitable hole in the side for the port? Our locker is metal, so I think cutting it would be a big job, but if one could access the locker from the inside of the van, instead of always via the back doors, that would be such a useful feature. Presumably, as a bulkhead port is waterproof, it would also be fine for gas.

But, depending on the type of cylinder cock fitted, the port would not necessarily show that the gas is off, just that there is a gas cock. With a typical screw type cock it would be impossible to tell its position, and if using Calor cylinders it seems likely all one would be able to see is the steel shroud around the cock. So, although it's a good idea for cylinder cocks with clear "ON" and "OFF" markings, I don't think this would work in other cases.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-07-20 7:57 AM

Pauline

While it’s generally straightforward to design a coachbuilt motorhome so that the gas-lcker meets your desired specification, panel van conversions normally have the type of locker fitted to brom’s vehicle, with the locker having an openable airtight door (or lid) and access to the locker requiring the motorhome’s rear door(s) to be opened. The thinking behind this arrangement is easy to understand - it avoids having to cut a big hole in the vehicle’s metal bodywork.

The images here

http://tinyurl.com/plo6haq

show various gas-locker permutations some of which might be considered better engineered than others.

I don’t know about the ‘legality’ of fitting a marine 'deck plate inspection hatch' to a motorhome’s gas-locker to facilitate turning the bottles on and off, but the idea is not new. I recall the owner of a Herald coachbuilt motorhome (at least 15 years ago) having done it so that he did not have to open the external locker’s door before he drove the vehicle or when he arrived at a campsite. LPG is heavier than air and, provided that the locker is airtight except for a substantial gas ‘drop vent’ in its base, I can’t see the type of inspection/access hatch gocro has fitted being dangerous.

I'm sure this is correct. However, the reason for the OP is that the only practical way to access the gas locker is via the rear doors. But a towbar mounted bike rack plus bikes prevents access to rear doors. So, to inspect the gas cock, first bikes, and then rack, have to be unloaded. It seems likely that even if a deck access hatch were installed, this would remain the case.

• 2 weeks later...

We've got a T5 and have been through the tunnel for the past 3 years... we're always fully loaded up with 4 bike rack, 2 kids and there's no way that you can open the cupboard that the gas is in as you would have to unpack half the van, slide the rear seats forward, take the kids seats and the seats out.....

...the point where they quiz you on the gas, we have always just told them we have turned the gas off [which incidentally we always travel with it turned off] and that is always sufficient and we just get waved through..... B-) B-)

LordThornber - 2015-08-03 8:40 PM

In June the Eurotunnel staff member asked if the gas was turned off, yes I replied, good she said, we've had people cooking in the tunnel in the past. No check was carried out.

Bizarre but true 8-) 8-)

Martyn

I had exactly same experience on my first trip but inspected on the next, so no consistency.

I would hope that 100% inspection is carried out for every bodies safety as otherwise there is no point.

sshortcircuit - 2015-08-03 8:54 PM

LordThornber - 2015-08-03 8:40 PM

In June the Eurotunnel staff member asked if the gas was turned off, yes I replied, good she said, we've had people cooking in the tunnel in the past. No check was carried out.

Bizarre but true 8-) 8-)

Martyn

I had exactly same experience on my first trip but inspected on the next, so no consistency.

I would hope that 100% inspection is carried out for every bodies safety as otherwise there is no point.

Ours always checked.Hoped they checked everyones.

• 2 weeks later...
My problem solved - have just got an Atera Strada DL3 tow-ball mounted bikerack from RoofBox co. It fits, slides out, and allows you to open rear doors with bikes attached - thus allowing easy access to gas locker. Review to follow in MMM in due course.

Archived