Over Nighting Dover Area

Len Salisbury

We have just made a booking at Hawthorn Farm 4 miles out from Dover for this Thursday night as we have a PO Ferry at 0640 to Calais. With EHU £22 and departure from campsite just activate the barrier. Not worth the hassle for Park and Ride at Canterbury etc. Any one else used this site?

Guest Joe90
sshortcircuit - 2015-07-20 8:28 AM

Sounds interesting. A bit concerned about "hassle" at Canterbury P@R as have used it several times with no difficulties and £3 as against the sites £22?. What was the hassle?

The only hassle that I can see is paying £22 is having someone waking everyone else whilst packing up to catch an early ferry >:-)

We stayed there at the beginning of May and found it very convenient for an early ferry.

The site is easy to find with good sized pitches and clean but dated facilities. In May it wasn't too busy so were invited to drive around and find a pitch to our liking. Now that the holiday season is on us you might not have that option but, as it's only one night, it's no hardship.

Never stayed there but we did spend a night on a CL near the A20, accessed through narrow country lanes. Soft ground, noise from the main road, so I wouldn't choose it again. A very early morning departur would have been awkward and would disturb other people. Hawthorn Campsite is a holiday park, so you probably will disturb others with your before-6 am departure. Campsites often lock the gates to vehcles between 11pm and 7am so I would double check on that.

I found the Canterbury P&R pretty good. It did fill up early, even early season. Lots of foreigners visiting Canterbury, rather than Brits in transit. Not sure if the authorities would object to using other parts of the large car park when the designated MH area does fill up; steer clear of the area near the bus stop where the commuters park, lest you get boxed in. We had to unhitch our trailer in order to park in one of the designated MH spaces but I was able to reverse the trailer into a corner out of the way so it's not ideal for trailer tuggers like me. It was noisy to hitch up and pull over the kerb but fortunately we weren't leaving very early. OK for sneaking quietly away if you're not towing and you can't really get blocked in.

Guest Joe90
StuartO - 2015-07-20 8:42 AM

Never stayed there but we did spend a night on a CL near the A20, accessed through narrow country lanes. Soft ground, noise from the main road, so I wouldn't choose it again. A very early morning departur would have been awkward and would disturb other people. Hawthorn Campsite is a holiday park, so you probably will disturb others with your before-6 am departure. Campsites often lock the gates to vehcles between 11pm and 7am so I would double check on that.

I found the Canterbury P&R pretty good. It did fill up early, even early season. Lots of foreigners visiting Canterbury, rather than Brits in transit. Not sure if the authorities would object to using other parts of the large car park when the designated MH area does fill up; steer clear of the area near the bus stop where the commuters park, lest you get boxed in. We had to unhitch our trailer in order to park in one of the designated MH spaces but I was able to reverse the trailer into a corner out of the way so it's not ideal for trailer tuggers like me. It was noisy to hitch up and pull over the kerb but fortunately we weren't leaving very early. OK for sneaking quietly away if you're not towing and you can't really get blocked in.

Every time we have used the P&R the height barriers were in place preventing access to the main car parks, and quite rightly. Canterbury have provided a much needed and valuable facility, lets not spoil that by encouraging, or suggesting to people to park anywhere other than the designated area,

if it is full they are quite at ease with motorhomes using the coach park in the town, I know because I spoke with them on one occasion when the P&R was full, and they did say there are plans for an overspill motorhome parking area due to it's resounding success at New Dover road sometime soon..............what a breath of fresh air from a council for a change

Mike88 - 2015-07-20 10:45 AM

Much easier to catch a late ferry and sleep on the other side.

I agree with you Mike on that one about getting to the other side, but we have to go to Worthing on Wednesday and leave Thursday with family so that is why we are staying on UK side.

starvin marvin - 2015-07-20 9:41 AM

On our way home earlier this year we stayed at the Drum, a pub site and we ate there. Didn't enjoy any aspect of the experience, will just free camp in future.

So did we and thought it was fine. Easy to park and get away, close to the tunnel, friendly staff and a good meal. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I wish I'd discovered the 'hassle' of Canterbury P&R from when it opened rather than having disturbed sleep on Marine Parade.

It's a real trial being able to pay just £3, take water on board, empty your bog, your grey water and dispose of your rubbish.

To say nothing of a 'included in the price' (as Frank would've said), bus service into Canterbury and back.

No, second thoughts, it is a bit of a bind having to put £3 into a ticket machine 8-)

Martyn

Archived