Fitting a roof box

MagHal

Hi, space is always a problem and thought about fitting a top box of some description. The van has an overcab so not too worried about additional height.

What's the best way to fix? I assume this means using metal fixings through the roof skin with the possibility of creating leaks. Does anyone have any advice? Is it something best avoided?

Guest frankie640
Why not fit one on the rear? On the roof will drastically increase drag and increase fuel consumption. Appart from being a source of leaks. If you really want one on the roof, have roof rails fitted and mount box on these. At least it will be removable.

You need to consider the weight implications as well as the extra height. And hanging a box on the back transfers weight onto the rear axle, which might be problematic too. If you are short on storage space but not short of payoad, the idea might be a good one.

So don't be discouraged, lots of people use roof and rear boxes, so they must be useful! But does the old saying that if its been in the loft for a year and you haven't needed it, then you don't need it apply? It can't be easy getting stuff in and out of a roof box.

A rear box is the easiest solution, but, as said, weighs your rear end down. And you would still have to drill into the wall. As you have an overcab/Luton/alcove shape then drag won't be an issue.

I have an original equipment roof rack and ladder, but loading and unloading is still difficult.

We have a Fiammi Box fitted on the bike rack. Very useful for things like chairs/table, groundsheets. Yes you need to watch your weight, but we find it , so much better than finding space in the van. One thing to remember is the extra length, when you are reversing! Would not want to have to get up o the roof, not that we have space, with rooflights, air con and a dome.

PJay

Thank you all for replies.

I had a rear box but had to part with it because we took to towing a motorbike on a hydratail and the box fouled everything. I have since made an aluminium boot box that is smaller and thinner for odds and sods but really miss the storage I had in the larger box.

There are issues getting to a roof box for sure but I'm more worried about the fixing and drilling holes. At the moment I have a dry van and don't want any man made leaks.

Do rails eliminate the need for drilling?

Thanks, Hal

Mag&Hal - 2015-07-21 9:45 AM

...There are issues getting to a roof box for sure but I'm more worried about the fixing and drilling holes. At the moment I have a dry van and don't want any man made leaks.

Do rails eliminate the need for drilling?

Thanks, Hal

Hi Hal..

Unless I REALLY had to, I don't think I'd be rushing to drill any extra holes in the roof....

Even the most "over engineered" of holes(bonded-in collared tubes etc), if on the roof (where water pools?) are going to be susceptible to leaks.(...and leaks that may not be noticeable for a year or two).

Obviously, rails would need holes the same as if the box was fixed directly to the roof ..but I suppose at least with rails, they may be fixed to the raised roof mouldings/ridges running down either side of the van?(and not sitting on the roof where water "pools"?) and any "straight through" fixings would probably emerge into overhead lockers (whereas with a box, they may not?)..

Mounting on/from rails would also alleviate the box's likelihood of disrupting water run off...

I suppose only you can judge whether or not the box's "usefulness" warrants any downsides/risks..

(Just to add..I wouldn't be tempted to just "bond" it on with the likes of sika etc...)

Mag&Hal - 2015-07-20 5:06 PM

Hi, space is always a problem and thought about fitting a top box of some description. The van has an overcab so not too worried about additional height.

What's the best way to fix? I assume this means using metal fixings through the roof skin with the possibility of creating leaks. Does anyone have any advice? Is it something best avoided?

I'd do everything I could to avoid the need before deciding to go ahead, including a thorough review of what I was carrying around, to see if eliminating some of the stuff would eliminate the need for the box. The reasons against are well stated above, drag, weight, and potential leaks. I would add that most of the boxes I have seen stand higher than most of the Lutons I have seen, so you'd need to be extra vigilant with restricted headrooms (bridges etc.) and may also end up paying more if on toll roads.

If, after that, you still feel you need a top box, I would suggest thorough research of the available boxes to see what fixings they supply, and how they recommend fixing and sealing them.

Few van roofs are perfectly flat, and the odd pool does gather. If the pool is in the location you'd place the box the sealing becomes more critical.

I'd also check the construction of your roof as some aren't designed to take weight and would be prone to deflect. Any fixing, to be secure, would need to at least screw into the roof structure (I'd think through bolting would be preferable), meaning you have to know where the cross members are and fix to them.

Be aware that some roofs are only aluminium or GRP sheet on framing and insulation, without any ply backing for rigidity.

As above, sitting the box on rails will involve fixing the rails to the roof, so it really only shifts the fixings problem from the centre to the edges, but doesn't eliminate it. It would also raise the box, so exacerbating the problem of additional height.

Last point, painted aluminium sheet is phenomenally slippery when wet, so accessing the box during/after rain may carry additional risks. I believe the GRP sheet is much less slippery under these conditions (but have no direct experience of this).

Thank you all most sincerely for the time you have taken to reply and your helpful thoughts. It is much appreciated.

As Fagin said......."I'm reviewing the situation........"

I'm in no rush, plenty of time to ponder but it does look a high risk enterprise for modest space gains.

Cheers

Hal

Guest frankie640

You could also put your m/bike in a box trailer along with the other stuff, as we do when going to Spain.

That way when you don't need the other stuff you can use your Hydratrail for the bike, also as we do.

It wasn't a roof box, but I remember seeing a man and his wife lifting 2 canoes onto their coachbuilt roof. He stood on top and it looked decidedly risky.

Think I would do anything to avoid using one, if that involves leaving the wife's toiletries behind then so be it. :D

But don't tell her.

Archived