Dashboard cameras ?

Will86

Brian Kirby - 2015-07-25 12:03 PM

I ploughed my way through most of the linked clips, and could not honestly say I thought any gave clear indication of a cash for crash motivation.

There was a Panorama documentary about it. Watch this clip from 2:12 on

The perpetrators of that event were investigated by Insurance fraud. Further on in the programme is an even worse one which occurred on a roundabout over a motorway. Ironically this time it wasn't a dashcam which caught the rogues out but staff working in an office building which overlooked the roundabout, noticed the peculiar regularity of accidents in the same place.....but also noticed the same youth's involved.....so they alerted the Police. It wasn't long before their little game was over and they got sent down.

mentaliss - 2015-07-26 6:12 PM

Ive said it before and I say it again hundreds of dash camera's sold But I never met anyone yet that actually used it to support as crash evidence.......BUT I too followed the paranoia *-)

Read this post. https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Dash-Cam-pays-for-itself-many-times-over-/37287/

mentaliss - 2015-07-26 6:12 PM

Ive said it before and I say it again hundreds of dash camera's sold But I never met anyone yet that actually used it to support as crash evidence.......BUT I too followed the paranoia *-)

You have now!

Online supermarket and retail distributor Ocado has teamed up with Hill Dickinson to take a stand against “crash for cash” scams, following an incident with one of its delivery vans and the subsequent prosecution of three fraudsters. A statement from the Ocado driver and video footage from the delivery van proved the fraud in court and the three men were sentenced to three months in prison.

John Norfolk, head of risk management at Ocado, says that the company will not tolerate being targeted in this way. “Our vans are fitted with black box technology for safety reasons and, in this case, the footage was extremely valuable as it proved our driver was an innocent party in the RTA. Working in partnership with Hill Dickinson and the Metropolitan Police, we have been able to achieve a positive outcome.”

I have just purchased a dash cam which supports movement recognition. ( what ever happened to plain english ;-) ) and thought it might be useful for recording intrusion into my 'van when left for short periods. Camera facing inwards obviously. Just an idea, probably a bad one :'(

Guest Joe90
keninpalamos - 2015-07-28 1:46 PM

I have just purchased a dash cam which supports movement recognition. ( what ever happened to plain english ;-) ) and thought it might be useful for recording intrusion into my 'van when left for short periods. Camera facing inwards obviously. Just an idea, probably a bad one :'(

They'd probably nick it. :D :D

Joe90 - 2015-07-28 3:17 PM

keninpalamos - 2015-07-28 1:46 PM

They'd probably nick it. :D :D

Damn! ...your probably right :-D

Having just updated the stereo unit and speakers in the van i decided to look around for a new Sat nav system

I saw the latest "Gizmo" from  Garmin which was a sat nav with an inbuilt dashcam. So being an impulsive Thai person i went ahead with it.

All ready to go for our next venture into Europe.
So it will be a test drive for the new unit, and hopefully i will never need the dashcam images to be used as evidence. 

Just felt it was better this way instead of having 2 different units sat on the dash

I may look at an independent dash cam for the car though.

Happy travelling to all out there

Archived