Best and Cheapest To Buy Michelin Tyres

enodreven

Don't know about Michelins specifically but all the tyres I looked at last year whether in supermarkets or tyre depots appeared dearer than in UK. The prices quoted in France that we saw didn't include fitting balancing etc whereas ours normally do and that puts the base price up. Also we found that they didn't have the standard 15" tyres fitted to our Peugeot Boxer and don't normally import them , we had to have two couriered over by Red Pennant when we had our blow out, they only fit 16" ones to them over there! Bas

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand why people go for these up market tyres. For the average motorhome a normal commercial tyre should be OK. If there good enough for the white van man they should be OK for the average motorhomer. I have Goodyear cargos on my Timberland and when they are due for replacement next year I'll shop around. I've already contacted PJ ref Vanco winter tyres but I'm more than happy with what I've got. So why go for the expensive Michelin Camping tyres when there other tyres will do the job equally as well. Don

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-11-13 4:47 PM I don't understand why people go for these up market tyres. For the average motorhome a normal commercial tyre should be OK. If there good enough for the white van man they should be OK for the average motorhomer. I have Goodyear cargos on my Timberland and when they are due for replacement next year I'll shop around. I've already contacted PJ ref Vanco winter tyres but I'm more than happy with what I've got. So why go for the expensive Michelin Camping tyres when there other tyres will do the job equally as well. Don[/QUOTE]

Don

However, you do need to buy with your eyes open.  Personally, I'm not that impressed with the XC tyres, and would happily give them the sack when changing. 

Van tyres come in various flavours, and it is imperative to ensure the tyres are suitable for the actual laden weights on the axles.  This is probably more important on van conversions, where a sleepy fitter might not spot the additional load allowance for a maxi type chassis, and only fit tyres suitable for a lighter version of the "standard" type white van.  Continental "Vancos" seem to have been well reviewed, but I believe there is now also a Pirelli "Camping" type tyre in the field.

Hi, Thanks for all your replies, I don't need any at the moment but my front tyres certainly seem to be wearing substantially more than the rears, Albeit I know that the driving wheels will wear first however it does seem that the rears are like new with virtually no wear at all , and the reason I asked about countries is that quiet often things are cheaper in mainland Europe Brian

I'm with Don on this one, especially as tyres will often need replacing on age grounds before they are worn out. Michelins for example have traditionally often been chosen for their excellent wear characteristics. This comes at a price though and on many motorhomes, full value for this considerable investment will never be realised. Earlier this year, on looking to replace my front Michelins I was quoted £120 each by a well known local tyre depot who capture much of the business in the area. They advised me that as they supply Kumho tyres to almost all of the local van operators and they are very satisfied with them, perhaps I would consider giving them a try. Having used Korean tyres on various vehicle before and being pleased with them, I agreed to do just that. 30 mins later, I left the depot equipped with two new Kumho's of identical spec and load rating to the Michelin XC's, having paid just £50 each, all inclusive. They work fine and in fact (along with my ABS) helped me to narrowly avoid a head on collision with an errant HGV on a wet Route Napoleon this September. Each to their own of course but there are good and economic alternatives to the high profile brands. Nobby

I use Michelin Agelis on my T25, this was on advice from somewhere that I can't remember, they where much quiter than the previous Dunlops, but then T25s are very susecptical to tyre noise. They cost around £70 for 185x14 6 ply from a local supplier, I know they are allso availible in 8ply.

I think the answer is to buy normal commercial type tyres if you know what you are doing in terms of gross weight, etc, as is the case with clued up motorhomers as here. However, Michelin Camping tyres do have a large built in safety factor, weight wise, which manufacturers obviously feel are the better option for the average (overweight?) owner. The van I mean!

My understanding from Michelin is that the XC rubber compound is specifically designed to give a longer life on a vehicle which is unlikely to actually wear them out, i.e. age will determine when they need to be changed rather than mileage. It is possible they may last 10years! Can a commercial tyre match this? If after 5 years you are forced to change a commercial tyre because of compound breakdown, XC's may still be a better bet? peedee

[QUOTE]peedee - 2006-11-14 9:45 PM My understanding from Michelin is that the XC rubber compound is specifically designed to give a longer life on a vehicle which is unlikely to actually wear them out, i.e. age will determine when they need to be changed rather than mileage. It is possible they may last 10years! Can a commercial tyre match this? If after 5 years you are forced to change a commercial tyre because of compound breakdown, XC's may still be a better bet? peedee[/QUOTE] There was talk last year that an age restriction on tyres may be introduced to MOT, I may be wrong but also seem to remember reading that germany had this thats why so many used tyres come from there to be fitted here.

I have been unimpressed with the wet weather performance of Michelin XC.I am sure that they cope well under the conditions for which, i understand, they were designed.But my couple of hundred miles a day,rarely above 60mph and with very light payload are just the opposite. When faced with very slippery road conditions they have failed me on two occassions. When Brian raised this topic on another forum i brought to light an interesting comparison on various tyres and their abilities under wet conditions.Michelin Agilis/XC are rather poor performers. www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/vehicles/tyre_test.htm N

I was persuaded by the test results in Nick's reply to buy a set of Conti Vancos and they seem to be excellent, giving a good smooth and quiet ride as well as confidence-inspiring handling. They replaced some Chinese Maxxis tyres that our second-hand van arrived with - they, too, were OK but somehow I just didn't trust them as they always looked, well, a bit soggy. Previous MH had Michelin XC and, to be honest, the ride was much stiffer and noisier, but that could have been down to the standard Fiat chassis (the new 'van is on an Alko). Vancos were about £95 each, replacement Maxxis would have been about £40 and XC £100plus. I just don't feel any compromise is worth it when choosing tyres (or brakes, engine oil etc etc etc!!)

Michelin XC camping tyres were developed to cope with the simple fact that many motorhomes are overloaded permanently. Those motorhomes that aren't permanently overladen are always closer to their weight limits than the equivalent "white van" which spends about half its life running empty but frequently at higher speeds than motorhomes. Contrary to popular beleif "white vans" are not usually overloaded (although there are exceptions) because the penalties for commercial operators are severe. It should be easy to see that these two different types of vehicle, although based on the same chassis, will need quite different characteristics from their tyres. The motorhome tyres have to withstand constant high loadings and frequently spend long periods standing still (up to a couple of months at a time for some) and when they are in use they are generally not pushed as close to their speed ratings as "white van". "White van" tyres on the other hand have to endure high speeds for extended periods. They also need good wear characteristics and of course price is more of an issue to the commercial operator (who might buy two or three sets of tyres per vehicle per year) than the average motorhome owner (who might buy one set in ten years). D. edited to correct spelling mistakes.

peedee asks why most Motorhomes are fitted with Michelin XC tyres. Perhaps they are supplied to the Sevel/ et al plants at a very competitive price.The profit to Michelin comes when replacement happens and the motorhome owner simply asks for another set of XCs.These are then sold at a very high price.We will never know if the cost of their manufacture justifies the extra price. I can only say they do not seem ideal for me and my no weight style of travel.At 20,000 miles the front pair are loosing their tread (far from illegal) the back pair although 5 years old look quite good .55/60psi. I no longer have confidence in the XCs so in wet weather will always be nervous. The Vancos on the previous VW Coachbuilt always behaved better in wet conditions. N

Archived