Isle of Man - Motorhome unfriendly?

manxli

Hi

As I'm now retired, we are slowly considering moving back to our beloved Isle of Man. We're lucky as my son has plenty of parking space for our Flash 02, but the rest of the island is not very accomodating at all.

This is a great pity, as there would be much potential. e.g. The harbour town of peel council are intent on banning motorhomes from the harbour car park "Fenella Beach" and can't see that a properly regulated site could generate good income and attract new visitors. Motorhomes can park for a few hours in daylight at the moment, but for how long?

See attached photos. Anyone with interest for the Isle of Man, please write to the Peel Town Commissioners!

Regards

Alan

IMG_0941.jpg.9a5e0d8043aa0767316e098adbcbd02e.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg.95f730c62e00e9ca27ba322596b6a41f.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg.88772f40091ad8c32b3a904b6469e727.jpg

I think you need to take into account that the Peel Commissioners already have a properly set up and managed site on the edge of town that welcomes motorhomes.

http://www.peelonline.net/wheretostay/campsite.html

An excellent site with both grass and hard standings, electric hook ups, very good heated WC/Shower block and with the town Leisure Centre and Swimming Pool next door.

The Warden that looks after it all is friendly, accommodating and exceptionally helpful as is the lady at the Commissioner's Offices who manages bookings and the Harbour area is only around 10 minutes walk away.

In our experience, the best site on the Island and we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

FD

Hi

oops, missed that one! I left the island nearly 20 years ago and have only visited occasionally since until now.

Al the same, I think a few dedicated bays at Fenella Beach with an appropriate overnight charge would be a real plus. My wife is disabled and appreciates not having to walk too far for a nice view.

BTW: Drove an Austin 7 Nippy up the Tholt-y-Wil hill climb way back in the 1970s.

Alan

Having talked now to a few locals, it seems that littering by a few inconsiderate "camper van" owners has caused the resentment. This seems to have taken place during the TT and Grand Prix bike race fortnights, when the island is full to capacity.

It's a shame, when most of us are responsible and tidy. There is a harbour swing bridge over to a good public WC block, where cassettes could be emptied and I've never seen a flood tide in Peel. Having said that, I stayed on the German Elbe estuary a few weeks back on an 'aire' with warnings about high tides. Plenty of other motor homes were there and seemed unbothered. I assume the harbour master would say something in case of expected floods.

Alan

The problems by the Harbour that have led to the no overnighting aren't restricted to TT fortnight although they did occur then as well. Littering and emptying grey and toilet water into the bay were a common problem and, frankly, I don't blame the Peel Commissioners for banning overnight camping there given the experiences they've had.

Our experience of the IoM is that it is quite friendly to Motorhomes but there are some who always spoil things for the majority.

As an alternative to the Peel Campsite, Glen Lough Site is very good but it's not an easy walk to anywhere, really, given its location.

http://www.glenloughcampsite.com/

FD

Archived