Scuffed Mirror. How to Clean

timabob

I had an unpleasant incident on Friday when travelling down a narrow road, a lorry (tipper truck type) coming the opposite direction did not slow down and his mirror clipped mine.

Very fortunately the spring mechanism seemed to absorb the impact and so there is not damage to the mirror housing and although the smaller of the two mirrors fell out, the fitting for the mirror and wiring is all intact, so it will just be a matter of popping a new small mirror onto its fitting plate.

However the back of the mirror housing has a big black smear where the lorry mirror hit. It looks like rubber or plastic. The GRP on my mirror housing is undamaged, not even scratched, but I would like some tips on how to remove the black smear.

I've tried to attach a photo, but I'm not sure that's possible, but even without a photo I think you get the picture!!

1141337114_ScuffedMirror3.jpg.c54e550ce799225262436626ae0147d9.jpg

585616986_ScuffedMirror3.jpg.b4ded08543405a7328ae83aacf5ac089.jpg

If all fails and the material is coloured all through you should be able to SCRAPE it off using the side of a new blade in a Stanley Knife, it takes a while as only a very small width comes off at a time.

It might seem an odd way but I use this method on the white plastic bodies of memory stick USB's when they have ink identifying names.

Coming through Langley in Kent last Tuesday a white van caught my mirror quite a good thump possibly a combined impact of 50mph Very small crack on \mirror guard and a black mark, the crack repaired with super glue, black mark cleaned off with Mer. No damage to Mirror. Well done Mirror Guard £100 well spent.

Every smear of this type is different dependent on the two surface that came into contact. Run your finger nail over it ,If you feel a depression its probably a fill and paint job. If its raised then there is a good chance it will come off.

Start to clean with the mildest agent first, a solvent like WD40 is typical or a decent car polish if its still there, a mild abrasive like T cut. Occasionally I have resorted to 600 grade wet and dry paper.

The object is to remove the minimum thickness of finish coat.

I have misgivings about armouring the mirror. The object of the exercise is to protect the case and inner part of the mirror and I compare the situation to a motorcycle helmet. Its no good making the helmet so strong the skull smashes against it causing brain damage. To avoid this the helmet is designed to be a fraction weaker than the average skull so that the energy of the collision is dissipated in damaging the helmet giving the maximum protection to the brain.

The guards I have seen fit tightly against the mirror and to my mind transmit the energy of collision direct to the mirror case without dealing with it. Its only my opinion and would need comparative destructive testing to obtain and answer.

In the meantime I keep the cash in the bank in case I need a new mirror.

In reply to George Collings

The mirror guards do not come in direct contact with the mirror casings there are foam pads between the two surfaces giving a good cushioning effect, so much so that a friend had an impact on his mirror of approx. 120mph and the mirror survived although the guard was cracked.

George.

Not too sure about thickness of the pads but somewhere between 5mm and 10mm, the guards have been in place for the best part of 2 years so this is purely from memory.

In my opinion they are worth the £100 spent, when you think of the cost of a mirror, I had a mirror totally destroyed on my previous m/h, but I was very lucky as my dealer had parts of one in stock from a previous customer so they remade mine from the bits of mine and what they had for £50.

David

Thanks to all, in particular Brock. I bought some Autoglym Resin polish and together with a bit of elbow grease everything came off and the mirror housing is as good as new. Not even a scratch.

The cost of the replacement small mirror, that's another matter. £198!!!!!!!

Archived