Euro Tunnel Problems

BrianBW

Guest Joe90

French Police were last seen helping to build the tyre barricades, and further obliged with a box of matches and a can of petrol, just before they went off for their two hour lunch break. ;-)

I've just booked for the 3rd of Sept, but I'm an eternal optimist. ;-)

I emailed Eurotunnel regarding our frequent travel package.

I've delayed booking expecting to get better, but on the News today Eurotunnel are asking for us to stay away.

The reason I emailed them was to ask there advice and point out that my 12 months would expire before I can use my 10 single trips. No fault of mine.

There response was tough, basically. They expect delays and more problems.

It's a mess.

is the general concensus to avoid eurotunnel from calais, or both ends?

Should we be using the ferry? Dover? Portsmouth/Poole?

Has anyone who has recently returned got any input?

I'm heading to France mid September with dog, so was hoping to avoid lengthy ferry crossings.

Been making a few enquiries, and it seems P&O are able to run a more or less normal service providing Calais port isn't blocked by the My Ferry strikers. The DFDS berths at Calais are currently blocked by the strikers, but they are running to Dunkirk, though with heavy bookings around mid-day. The tunnel is prone to delays and cancellations as the would be immigrants try new tricks.

So, if you want reasonable certainty of being able to travel at your booked time, I'd say P&O from Dover is your best bet, or alternatively, one of the more western crossings.

If heading for Dover I agree that if coming from London, the north, or the west beyond London, the M2 via Canterbury would avoid operation stack, which is on M20 only, and also much of the congestion on other roads it is causing.

Hi, purely a personal view, but it seems sensible to me to steer clear of dover calais area completely..

go west..newhaven portsmouth, poole or even further , weymouth to channel isles for example..

or alternatively one of more northerly routes..

all cost more but no hassle/unwelcome passengers etc..

tonyg3nwl.

pyrie - 2015-07-29 4:11 PM

is the general concensus to avoid eurotunnel from calais, or both ends?

Should we be using the ferry? Dover? Portsmouth/Poole?

Has anyone who has recently returned got any input?

I'm heading to France mid September with dog, so was hoping to avoid lengthy ferry crossings.

We've booked Newhaven to Dieppe on September 19th. £90 with dog. Saves all the possible inconvenience.

We're booked on tunnel 17th August (and return 10th October). Will see what's up nearer departure, if it's just as bad will extend tunnel crossing - you can change it for up to 12 months ahead at no charge - and hope there's space on a ferry somewhere.

With the tunnel situation, I expect ferries will be busier than normal. Is that likely to impact on prices?

Just an interesting thought. Why should we support France when it is they who are not obeying European Law in the form of the Schengen/Dublin agreements which they willingly signed and then ignore. All they can do is keep blaming the UK for the problem. The French sorted out Calais and the immigrant problem four years ago and now just let it fester so they can pass the buck. I know it is in the French psyche to behave this way but why should we put up with it.

We normally go to France three times a year but won't be going again this year and will seriously consider not going at all next year. I reckon we spend about £4k over there with fuel, tolls shopping and eating so we will spend probably less and tour the glorious UK after all I can get my favourite French cheeses and wine at home cheaper than France.

Muswell - 2015-07-30 11:13 AM

Another interesting thought is what would happen if the French told us to put our passport control on our side of the channel.

I would put it halfway, and stop the trains and search them

PJay

I heard Dave Cameron this morning doing his bit to persuade the immigrants not to come :.

In an interview he said " They want to come here because it's such a great country to live in, and we have created so many jobs ".

I doubt if that will put 'em off.

( I think he is still stuck in election mode )

:'(

Hi Brian

Think next week industrial action will stop as August is the many holiday period and the French will not interrupt there own by Striking. Only leaving the immigrant problem to contend with.

I actually booked the tunnel about 5 months ago for the 10th of August but yesterday booked a ferry instead to that end do you know if there is any motorhome parking around the Newhaven .

Mack

Motorhomemacks - 2015-07-30 2:21 PM.......................

I actually booked the tunnel about 5 months ago for the 10th of August but yesterday booked a ferry instead to that end do you know if there is any motorhome parking around the Newhaven . Mack

I haven't used Newhaven for years as the ferry times don't suit us. I do know there are presently roadworks around the port entrance which may have changed present availability, but I believe it used to be OK to park overnight for the morning departure in the general parking area in front of the port offices. I think your best bet would be to phone the Newhaven port offices and get their advice on whether this is still possible. There would be some noise from vehicles departing the 05:00 arrival from Dieppe, but otherwise it is not generally that busy or noisy.

Alternatively, there is a campsite a couple of miles east, called the Buckle Caravan Park, at approx GPS N50.77962 E0.08066: tel 01323 897801. About £20 per night with EHU, but I don't know when they open their gates a.m. If you're booked on the 09:00 boat booking in opens about 07:00 and closes at 08:00, so you'd need to be away by 07:30 / 07:45 - depending on how brave you feel! :-)

The Brighton Caravan Club site at Sheepcote Valley is about 8 miles west, but the coast road can be slow, so journey time unpredictable. I'd plan on 45 minutes and be prepared to be agreeably surprised! Again, I don't know if they cater for early leavers. Another phone call, methinks!

Randonneur - 2015-07-30 2:49 PM

Quote fomPJay:

" I would put it halfway, and stop the trains and search them

PJay"

A bit of a problem if they had to do it on the ferry crossings :-D

I though the thread was about the TUNNEL. There would be time during a crossing to check vehicles on a ferry

PJay - 2015-07-30 6:04 PM

Randonneur - 2015-07-30 2:49 PM

Quote fomPJay:

" I would put it halfway, and stop the trains and search them

PJay"

A bit of a problem if they had to do it on the ferry crossings :-D

I though the thread was about the TUNNEL. There would be time during a crossing to check vehicles on a ferry

It was meant to be a "tongue in cheek" comment.

Why bother with the tunnel?

We've just back from France, only 10 min delay on P&O ferry, didn't see one migrant in Calais, even stayed overnight on the aire by the docks!.

Kept well away from the M20, came up on the A2 & M2, hardly any traffic.

One of the easiest crossings that I can remember.

Archived