motorhome holiday

noplacelikehome

Hi, I am new to the forum, I am also new to motorhome holidays, not been on any yet, I am at the planning stage for next year :-S I am looking for advice from you motorhome enthusiasts out there, there is just the two of us and two little dogs, we like our comforts so space is an important factor, so I suppose I'm first asking is where to hire from, we are in Scotland but want to hire from here and travel down England, any suggestions please?

I have done lots of reading on different sites..... B-)

How long are you wanting one for and where in England do you want to tour?

If it's northern England then starting your hire in Scotland makes sense, but if you are wanting to tour southern England it may make more sense to drive your car down and pick up a van.

Hi,

Might be worth checking out Trip Advisor as well have seen some interesting feedback on how some companies headline prices don't reflect the actual cost as they add on extras for gas, insurance, bedding, cleaning etc etc.

Also as someone else said consider driving down in your car ( r maybe taking the train?) You'll probably get 25-35 mpg in the van as opposed to 40-50? In your car.

Heard good things about a company just outside Inverness ( just off the A96 near Dalcross) but have no personal knowledge or experience of them.

Cheers

Fraser

You might want to try signing up to some of the voucher sites like "Itison" as they often have deals on motorhome hire, but it will be out of peak season. If your planning for next year that shouldn't be a problem, discounts are often as much as 50%.

Hi

Before we bought our van we hired a van. To my horror only after we had paid our money did we discover that the insurance excess was £1000.

I thought this to be too great a risk and it took a lot of hard talking and quoting of trading laws to get our money back.

My advice would be to check on this aspect of hiring.

Dave

There is a recent thread when the hire of a motorhome went wrong [fresh water tank contaminated by diesel] and the hirer is likely to be out of pocket by £1,000. I strongly advice you to read the small print of any high document because if things do go wrong, you might be picking up a big bill. Motorhomes are complex and expensive machines.

I also know a family of 4 who had a brilliant 6 week tour of Scotland in a hired motorhome without any problems.

I'm not a believer in 'hire before you buy' but that's just a personal opinion. As is I'd hire in Scotland and make the first overnight stay close enough to the hire depot. There is a logic in hiring in England if that is where you want to tour but to me, the journey is important and there are some great routes from Scotland into England for motorhomers such as the A66 and A72/A702.

Join the Camping and Caravanning Club and use their temporary Holiday sites weekend District association [ D A }meets and  Certified sites , you will save a fortune on commercial site fees and have the back up of members who know all there is to know about Motorhomes and caravans, check the club out on line, great investment.

Archived