Tow-ball-mounted bike-racks for barn doors

brom

Recently I asked whether the Channel Tunnel folk require to see your gas cylinders - causing difficulties if we're carrying our bikes on our old, Thule tow-ball-mounted bike rack .... given our van has barn doors, not a tailgate.

My next query follows on from that - does anyone know a good, tow-bar mounted bike rack which would extend far enough to the rear to allow access to at least one of the doors. (The Missus also thinks it might be possible to design one which slides to the side, to allow access to one door, though it would need to slide at least 33 inches in our case, to clear the left-hand door). I know some racks (Thule 916 and 920, for instance), will tilt backwards away from the van, but doubt if our sideways-opening rear door would clear the bike, even though a rising tailgate would.

Obviously, we're thinking particularly of our T5, but such a rack would surely be of interest to anyone with any PVC - Transit, Ducato, Sprinter or Master - who doesn't like the idea of hanging bikes on a Fiamma-type rack, on one back door?

I think you're right about the "tilting" racks, I doubt they'd give anywhere near enough clearance for twin rear doors..

A couple of members have had these fitted (a bit pricey and no idea if they make them sized for VW Transporters?)

http://www.buscamper.nl/nieuws/2-busbiker-assortiment-uitgebreid#

This is one of many old threads, on which alternative styles of racks was discussed...

(Unfortunately Judgemental and Crinklystarfish are no longer users of this forum)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/-That-swing-out-bike-rack/29739/

..they make spark some ideas?

More ideas here: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=swing+out+bike+racks&FORM=HDRSC2

This is a swing out rear box/ frame that I made for our first van, (since partially re-jigged so as to slide).

1129372249_Duetto2(resizedimage).jpg.8d2be3ed8a914d907ab190f9586919f9.jpg

Wow! Those are some really interesting ideas. I shall contact both the Dutch and American folk and see what they say.The Dutch one seems to be for vans without tow-bars, which is a bit of a problem,and they don't say they make them for VWs - but the cost (if one has a Ducato), seems to be roughly the same as fitting a towbar and electrics.

Just for interest, how did you find the relevant threads from past years? Whenever I enter a search term, on whatever subject, the search comes back blank - even when I know for a fact there is a thread lurking somewhere...

brom - 2015-07-31 9:22 PM

Wow! Those are some really interesting ideas. I shall contact both the Dutch and American folk and see what they say.The Dutch one seems to be for vans without tow-bars, which is a bit of a problem,and they don't say they make them for VWs - but the cost (if one has a Ducato), seems to be roughly the same as fitting a towbar and electrics.

AFAIK, the (Dutch) Busbiker is available only for the Ducato and other Sevel bases (since, as you acknowledge, it doesn't mount on a towbar, but is a complete unit).

I am one of those mentioned who has one (fitted in Holland at the manufacturer). It is a superb piece of kit.

There were other options available in the German market, both swivelling and sliding and I'd be surprised if there weren't something for the VW base. I'll do a bit of research when I'm able, and post back if I find anything.

I deleted most of my links when I finally got the Busbiker, but this was one alternative I originally found which specifically details it fits the VW T5 (though not a towbar mount).

http://alfred-weih.de/slidemove-traeger-kastenwagen.html

(and note the slide arrangement the OP's wife nominated)

I'm pretty sure I found some others that were Transporter compatible.

Thanks very much to all.

I liked the German solution - but the price of E1,375 makes me cough...

The solution for us, I think is the Atera. The Youtube video shows it being fitted to a Mercedes Vito with barn doors, which ought to be of a similar size. I shall contact a local retailer and see if they can demonstrate it, or confirm they've sold it for VWs, and will let you know if we buy one.

Thanks for that - the VWT4 forum is a mine of info! I have been in touch with RoofBox at Sedbergh (just down the road from us), and they say only a DL3 - ie 3-bike version- will give sufficient clearance. We'll have to buy it first via phone or internet, before we can see the rack, which seems a bit odd, but we would be able to return it if it didn't fit. Cost is £344.

I'm also going to look into a Westfalia rack I saw in a mag yesterday, which could be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We've bought an Atera Strada, and are very happy with it.

At the NEC last week, we saw a stand with a number of different solutions to this problem -- a Dutch company, Memo Europe BV. They are contactable at www.memo-europe.nl but have various British agents, too, including RoadPro (www.roadpro.co.uk.)

Their brochure has all sorts of racks and miniature trailers for electric bikes and scooters etc. - well worth a look, if in the market for this sort of thing.

• 3 months later...

Archived