Pre-pay currency cards

devonmouse

I have a Thomas Cook card. I've never used it at a toll booth but have used it in unattended fuel pumps, which I was never able to do with the Post Office card I had before. There is no charge for withdrawals and the exchange rate when topping up has always been very competitive. As far as I can remember, the only charge is around 2 euros if the card is not used for a period of 14 months.

I have a CaxtonFX card-always give a good rate and you can load different currencies now onto same card. Customer service has always been good when I need it, easy to load with mobile app and last but not least it's free-unless you use it in UK where you have to pay.

Seems to work everywhere I try it except I did have a problem with a self serve fuel pump but I believe this is because they take a deposit and refund it in France and this applies to all cards

Mike

We have Thomas Cook Cash Passport cards. Used them in France and Spain, shops, restaurants, hardware stores, supermarkets, car parts factors, auto fuel pumps, toll roads and cash dispensers no worries! There's a charge of 2 euros on ATM transactions so don't use it for tiny withdrawals.

devonmouse - 2015-08-05 5:50 PM

Thanks for the input, but still unsure about the aires barriers and aires service points.

devonmouse

As has been mentioned already, get a CAXTON FX card, amazing rates, and it comes as a master card or visa, so if they take master card or visa they will take this currency card.

We use a pre pay card from ice Plc and it's pretty reliable in shops etc but doesn't always work at toll booths and I haven't tried at un maned petrol stations as yet. We have a Halifax clarity credit card which is free to use in Europe so tend to use this for tolls and fuel.

devonmouse - 2015-08-05 5:50 PM

Thanks for the input, but still unsure about the aires barriers and aires service points.

devonmouse

We have successfully used our Thomas Cook pre-paid card at aire barriers in France.

It will only work if the machine accepts Mastercard.

We have a Ukash card, no annual fee's. Just topped up card for French trip, got euro at 1.40.

We use this for most of our motorhome expenses,but not happy at self-service pumps!

Have bought a large bottle of dung remover just in case we encounter a bad tempered farmer.

Happy motoring

RogerC - 2015-08-05 12:18 PM

Take a look at a relatively new one....google 'We Swap' and read on.  We used one in NZ for 7 weeks and found it very useful.

Thanks for that post just got one the exchange rate beats most by a long way and they seem very efficient

Regards

Peter

Archived