Sevel X290 Headlamp protectos

armstrongpiper

Brian

The headlamps of the latest X290 vehicles are more ‘streamlined’ than their predecessors (apparent from the photos on the Vancomfort webpage)

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm

and - in principle at least - might be expected to deflect flying road debris better.

My X290’s headlamps have conventional-bulb DRLs and I won’t be adding protectors. But I might be persuaded that fitting protectors would make financial sense if my motorhome had the much more expensive LED-DRLs headlamps.

I notice that the Vancomfort advert describes the X290 protectors as ‘Easy Fit’. Replacing any bulb in an X290 headlamp entails first removing the headlamp from the vehicle (a simple procedure according to the handbook that just involves removing two star-headed screws) it’s to be hoped that the protectors - once fitted- do not overly complicate headlamp removal.

Looking at the table of fitments for the protectors it does not indicate whether these latest designs come with markings to enable beam alignment correction (no asterisk beside the listing merely a tbc). Do they?

Had to remove one headlamp unit yesterday to provide access to bulkhead for fitment of alarm system. Yes two screws and then slide toward the middle.

I think it’s just the Vancomfort Part No that is yet to be confirmed, rather than whether or not the X290 protectors carry ‘masking’ markings. I suspect that the protectors will not have such markings and won’t be supplied with masks, but I'm doubtful that any forum member has obtained a set of these protectors yet and would be able to confirm/deny that suspician. I’m sure Vancomfort could say one way or the other.

(I notice that Vancomfort advises that "EC legislation makes it a legal requirement to mask UK head-lamps for travel on the continent.” - this is nonsense. As has been said time and time again, the legal requirement is that vehicle headlamps must not dazzle oncoming drivers. How this non-dazzling state is achieved is not specified and, although it might be necessary to fit masks/beam-benders to some headlamps, other headlamps may have a designed-in beam-modification capability.)

Just spoken to Steve at Vancomfort who confirms that the new headlamp deflectors are marked up and come with beam masking. We only ever use them for beam masking whilst abroad so will be getting a set once we have the new van.

He did say they only had a few sets left although another batch will be arriving soon.

David

Archived