leisure battery..top up?

tonyg3nwl

Yesterday, I went to check level of electrolite in leisure battery, only to be reminded that there doesnt seem to be any access..the top of battery only has the 2 terminals accessible, and there seems to be a fixed cover over the area where I would expect to get access to individual cells.

is this what is called a sealed cell battery..can it be topped up..does it need to be?.

I dont seem to have a problem as voltage is 14 volts and is kept up by solar panel and 1/2 hour daily via on board charger when at home..

Van is Autocruise Stargazer 59 plate, battery is unknown vintage and make,

tonyg3nwl

Tony

You should find this link useful

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/a-guide-to-leisure-batteries/

If you look at the section headed “Maintenance-free batteries” you’ll see that certain types of vehicle battery (gel and AGM) cannot be ‘maintained’. It’s also the case nowadays that many conventional wet-acid batteries are maintenance-free with a cover over the cell caps preventing the electrolyte inside from being topped up.

Plainly, if your battery is gel/AGM type (and it should say somewhere on the battery if that’s so) you can’t maintain it. And if it’s a wet-acid battery with a non-removable cover over the cells’ tops, you won’t be able to top it up even if electrolyte has been lost (eg. if the battery has been charged at a voltage that has caused it to ‘gas’)

A 12V battery won’t hold a charge of 14V.

This link

http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/charging.html

advises that a 12V battery can be considered to be fully charged if its voltage is 12.7V - you might see approaching 13V, but not 14V.

That you’ve quoted 14V suggests a number of possibilities, the most likely being that you are either reading the voltage when the battery is being charged by the solar panel or by the on-board charger, or you are taking a voltage reading much too soon after the battery has been taken off charge. You need to allow several hours (the link suggests a 12 hour lapse) after charging has stopped to allow the battery’s surface charge to disappear.

Hi, re 14 volts , it is as you say because of solar panel continuously charging when I was looking into the possible topup.

regarding make of battery, I cant see a name in situe, and would have to disconnect it and remove fixing wedges to lift it up..it is down the hole under nearside bunk.

as they say, "if it aint broke, dont fix it", and as it seems to hold charge ok, and take charges ok, why worry.

if/when it fails, I have an almost new replacement leisure battery from my caravan, stored in workshop and ready for use if required. ( and regularly given a short maintenance charge)

Tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2015-08-08 11:22 AM

Hi, re 14 volts , it is as you say because of solar panel continuously charging when I was looking into the possible topup.

regarding make of battery, I cant see a name in situe, and would have to disconnect it and remove fixing wedges to lift it up..it is down the hole under nearside bunk.

as they say, "if it aint broke, dont fix it", and as it seems to hold charge ok, and take charges ok, why worry.

if/when it fails, I have an almost new replacement leisure battery from my caravan, stored in workshop and ready for use if required. ( and regularly given a short maintenance charge)

Tonyg3nwl.

Solar doesn't normally cause a problem, for a start the max output is only available for an hour or two either side of midday, and there is no output overnight so it is not constantly charging the battery.

If you are really worried fit a better quality solar regulator that cuts out when the battery is charged, will mean spending around a hundred quid.

Archived