guidance on van layouts please

royjohnb

I am looking to purchase my first motorhome but am restricted to around 5.500 mtrs length.

I would like a van conversion and as I am a sole traveller, perhaps with one companion, I am more interested in space and storage rather than travelling seats.

Also, I would like a rear lounge which would convert two either two single or one double bed.

Are there any models out there which would suit my needs or anything that would be a close compromise ?.

Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks

Hello Roy. You've come to the right place. Have a look at the guides in the Out & About website, especially this one

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Buyers-Guide/Motorhome-Layouts/_vt13

Five and a half metres is quite short and will pushing you nearer the camper van market rather than a panel van conversion. However, AutoSleeper do a 5.5m Panel Van Conversion [PVC]

http://www.auto-sleepers.com/motorhomes/peugeot-motorhome-van-conversions-and-camper-vans/symbol/#product-vehicleplan

AutoSleeper also produce the luxurious Topaz camper van, Autocruise do a Compact PVC that is under 5,5m. Globecar have the Vario 545 [at least]. Hymer will be producing a short van next year and has recently introduced the Hymercar range.

We'll need a steer on whether you will be buying new or second hand so an indication of your budget will help, what you intend doing with the motorhome, and whether you have any mobility issues. Will you want to carry bikes or anything? Use it as your sole vehicle?

Warners have a Show coming up at Malvern and next month at Lincoln that might be worth visiting to have a look at what's on offer.

You seem to be willing to accept a compromise so I'm sure you will be able to find a van.

If you don't need a bathroom there are loads of small campers with VW type layouts that will do. If you do need a bathroom I think you may be pushing it to get two singles in rear lounge but if you go front lounge autosleeper symbol is very popular.

When looking always take a tape measure and try beds out for yourself. Both length and width!

Sometimes second bed is more suited to a child or small adult.

Hope this helps.

Your budget will bring you into early noughties panel van conversions. I don't know any that had rear lounges because such vans are of a more recent design. I'd have a look at the AutoSleeper Duetto which has a large front lounge with the large van like side door. Very popular make, with good build quality, and usually well maintained. They were built on the Transit base so keeping the mechanicals going will be no problem whilst spares for the habitation area should be available. Here's an example

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/auto-sleepers/duetto/2000-auto-sleepers-duetto-diesel-swindon-mfpa-2c929b9b4ea8139e014eaa832b75605a/makemodel/make/auto-sleepers/model/duetto/motorhomeexternallength/4750/5749

If you want a coachbuilt, then the Autocruise range were attractive but most had two short bench seats behind the cab and rear entrance.

Anthony is right about small VW campers. These are often used as day vehicles so mileage will be high but the VW base is reliable. These tended to have similar layouts [no rear lounge though] so it's a question of searching the internet near your location.

You would not want to buy a pre 2002 Autosleeper Duetto as the Transit base vehicle is very prone to rust. However post 2002 on a MkVI Transit the Duetto is fine. I owned one for over 7 years. However they hold their value so be prepared to pay a premium price.

Archived