Buying a new gennie

Boristhemoggy

My faithful SDMO booster finally gave up the ghost last week so I am now on the hunt for a decent portable gennie.

Before all you wealthy fella's start...I have NOT got Honda money, although I wish I had. sZ13FnGUjKRJkS3cbTdW.gif

I'm after a 2kw and would prefer a quieter model, and so far I like the sound of the Kipor and the Hynundai 2000Si. The EvoPower also looks like a canny piece of kit on paper.

Does anyone have a recommendation based on their own ownership/usage?

You do get what you pay for. We've have a Honda that is still going strong after over 20 years. Bought it when the lads used to race model cars all over the UK and Europe. Only use it now when we get a power cut or when I need power for hedge cutting etc just to give it a run.

Having said that it's a bit over the top for your requirements.. The Kipor has a reasonable reputation so why not ask to hear one running and or alternative makes before making you mind up. If you want to use sensitive electronic items I would recommend an inverter model.

With regards to sparking heated debate on here generators are ranged third behind dogs and children wich take joint first place!

Colin Leake - 2015-08-08 8:00 PM

You do get what you pay for. We've have a Honda that is still going strong after over 20 years. Bought it when the lads used to race model cars all over the UK and Europe. Only use it now when we get a power cut or when I need power for hedge cutting etc just to give it a run.

Having said that it's a bit over the top for your requirements.. The Kipor has a reasonable reputation so why not ask to hear one running and or alternative makes before making you mind up. If you want to use sensitive electronic items I would recommend an inverter model.

With regards to sparking heated debate on here generators are ranged third behind dogs and children wich take joint first place!

Cheers for that, I really can't afford a Honda but yes I will be hearing a Kipor on Tuesday. The Hyundai attracts more because of the brand although that's not always a good indicator hence asking for advice. The noise is important to me but not a deal maker as I wild camp so there won't be anyone to hear it bar me. The main thing for me is performance and reliability.

Guest mikethe bike

I have two Kipor machines a 2600 watt one and a 700 watt.

I've found them to be pretty quiet and reliable, and a whole lot cheaper than the Hondas they are copies of. Mine are both the Digital pure sine wave ones.

Cheers Mike. :-D

About 9 years ago I made the decision to buy a budget machine, it was an SDMO Booster and it's only just failed on me. For 9 years it's run mostly every 3 days for about 10-11 hours to recharge batteries fully, so I don't think it owes me anything and I'm more than happy with that 9 years for the money I spent.

This is the reason I don't see a point for me in paying Honda money.

Now I have solar panels I'd only have to run it to freshen the batteries maybe once every couple of months so again a budget one is appropriate for my usage.

Hopefully I'll get to see a Kipor running on Tuesday and compare it with the Hyundai.

If you are now only going to use " every couple of months", why bother, getting a new one.(Save the money) Why not just run the engine occasionally ? We leave our van for months without using it, starts first time. as long as you have good batteries .

PJay

To give the batteries a full and proper charge takes about 11 hours. Running the engine for that period of time I have been told can damage the engine over time.

"Every couple of months" was a generalisation, over winter I may have to run it more when the panels aren't generating enough, and I do run it for short periods now and again to sue my mains hoover.

I wish I didn't need one at all but for the amount of power I use and the size of my batteries means I need a decent backup.

I should say I'm fulltiming so the van never really gets left for any period where I could link ehu

Boristhemoggy - 2015-08-09 10:33 AM

To give the batteries a full and proper charge takes about 11 hours. Running the engine for that period of time I have been told can damage the engine over time.

"Every couple of months" was a generalisation, over winter I may have to run it more when the panels aren't generating enough, and I do run it for short periods now and again to sue my mains hoover.

I wish I didn't need one at all but for the amount of power I use and the size of my batteries means I need a decent backup.

I should say I'm fulltiming so the van never really gets left for any period where I could link ehu

Did not say your full timing, so of course that would make a difference.I guess with the winter coming on , less sunlight for solar panels. Hope you find what you are looking for. Have you tried a google search?

PJay

Boristhemoggy - 2015-08-09 10:33 AM

I don't see why this should harm the engine. In the serious power cuts we get here I have been known to run our Honda three days or more solid only stopping it to refill the tank. Incidently long power cuts entitle you to quite a chunk of compensation even if you have suffered no material loss but they do not come automatically you do,have to ring your supply company and register to receive one. Everyone in our road does it.

Colin Leake - 2015-08-09 3:57 PM

I don't see why this should harm the engine. In the serious power cuts we get here I have been known to run our Honda three days or more solid only stopping it to refill the tank. Incidently long power cuts entitle you to quite a chunk of compensation even if you have suffered no material loss but they do not come automatically you do,have to ring your supply company and register to receive one. Everyone in our road does it.

Running your Honda? I'm confused I thought you meant run the van engine?

Although we are Honda fans the website page contains a lot of general tips on buying a Generator, like one that shuts down when the Oil level gets low to avoid expensive damage, etc. See : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/generators.php

Hondas are more expensive to buy initially but they have lower running costs both in terms of servicing, depreciation and fuel. The Honda i10 alters it's speed (and fuel consumption) dependent on the load to a greater extent than the Hyundai.

We also struggle to get parts for the Kipor, we are waiting for a Pull start mechanism for one that was ordered 2 months ago.

Although these are alleged 'copies', the quality of the metals and parts is not in the same league.

May I suggest that a second hand Honda would be a cheaper long term option than a new Hyundai or Kipor. Fuel and Oil consumption is lower too. Kipor exhaust can be noticeably more smelly due to the higher Oil consumption. Suggest your security cable is a long one so you can run it well away from the van if you get a Kipor?

Even the quietest Hyundai sounds like a Tractor compared to the whisper quiet (literally) Honda i10.

aandncaravan - 2015-08-12 11:15 PM

Although we are Honda fans the website page contains a lot of general tips on buying a Generator, like one that shuts down when the Oil level gets low to avoid expensive damage, etc. See : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/generators.php

Hondas are more expensive to buy initially but they have lower running costs both in terms of servicing, depreciation and fuel. The Honda i10 alters it's speed (and fuel consumption) dependent on the load to a greater extent than the Hyundai.

We also struggle to get parts for the Kipor, we are waiting for a Pull start mechanism for one that was ordered 2 months ago.

Although these are alleged 'copies', the quality of the metals and parts is not in the same league.

May I suggest that a second hand Honda would be a cheaper long term option than a new Hyundai or Kipor. Fuel and Oil consumption is lower too. Kipor exhaust can be noticeably more smelly due to the higher Oil consumption. Suggest your security cable is a long one so you can run it well away from the van if you get a Kipor?

Even the quietest Hyundai sounds like a Tractor compared to the whisper quiet (literally) Honda i10.

Sadly the Honda EU10i is not powerful enough for my needs. But even if it was I still don't believe the extra money is warranted.

I've now ordered a Champion so we'll see how that goes.

I bought a lpg-converted Honda EU20i when i bought my MH 9 years ago, ie before the days of solar panels. Buying the 2.0 kw unit gave me the capacity to run a microwave.

Since we had solar panels fitted however we really never need to top up the batteries and the generator was never a very efficient way of doing that anyway. Many, many hours of charging needed because the charging rate was fairly low. One night on an EHU was always a much better (and quieter) bet.

So unless you really have other/overriding needs for a generator (such as using power tools?) I really can't see their value these days. Our generator stays at home in the garage, where very occasionally it serves as a standby power source when we have a power cut. I wouldn't buy one again.

We have recently bought one of these after our old Kipor had stopped powering the microwave as it used to do, it still performs other duties ok, but her-indoors insisted on getting a replacement.

http://tinyurl.com/p4tgloq

It is more of a box than a suitcase but works fine, however the fuel is dispensed with a manual tap rather than a vacuum devise and since having fuel through it has become hard to turn on and off (currently being investigated by the supplier).

Compared to the Kipor the pull-start effort is less and instead of bursting into life it takes a fraction longer to reach its running speed.

It uses a visual gauge to measure fuel contents and although the manual says the filler neck has a gauze filter cup and full marker/indicator they don’t (makes filling easier without the cup). There is a cleanable inline filter though.

HTH

B-)

StuartO - 2015-08-13 10:39 AM

I bought a lpg-converted Honda EU20i when i bought my MH 9 years ago, ie before the days of solar panels. Buying the 2.0 kw unit gave me the capacity to run a microwave.

Since we had solar panels fitted however we really never need to top up the batteries and the generator was never a very efficient way of doing that anyway. Many, many hours of charging needed because the charging rate was fairly low. One night on an EHU was always a much better (and quieter) bet.

So unless you really have other/overriding needs for a generator (such as using power tools?) I really can't see their value these days. Our generator stays at home in the garage, where very occasionally it serves as a standby power source when we have a power cut. I wouldn't buy one again.

I have solar panels, but I work 40 hours a week on the computer, and play on it (DVD's etc) another 20 hours a week. So I use more power than solar alone can cope with. My hoover is also 1200 watts so it needs to run that.

My SDMO ran for 11-12 hours on one tank of petrol and this was enough to get the batteries to 'float' easily. That cost £10 roughly in petrol. If and when I find EH on sites for £10 or less I take it and plug in. But they tend to be few and far between on my routes so I rely on running the gennie once in a while to really top the batteries out.

I full time in this van too so it's not like I have time off at home where I can plug in...

I can see bricks, cow dung, etc heading my way as I admit to using a EU20i from time to time in the winter. My charger is a Schaudt Elektrobloc EBL 105-2 which is rated at 15amps and has no Gel/Wet setting. Batteries are 2 x 6volt traction by Trojan rated at 250 amp hrs. To use the 15 amp charger on these using the EU20i would take until the middle of next week, which it used to. I now use a BB1250 Sterling unit which runs via the starter battery from the alternator. Because of the type of battery I use (open wet) it will charge at 14.8v at 50 amps gradually decreasing the amps as the charge builds. This takes about an hour or two at maximum depending on how discharged the battery bank is. I have just added a shore line charger By Sterling. Again 12v 50 amps Pro charge Ultra which a EU20i will run well within it's limits. This unit takes about the same amount of time to fully charge the batteries before going into float mode. Plus I have 350 watts of solar power which can produce 15amps on a good day.

a1.jpg.562c9e192cbef6041cefb699858c54df.jpg

aandncaravan - 2015-08-12 11:15 PM

Wise words mate! I had a 2k kipper, sorry Kipor and was very good for 3 years or so but fell apart in the end so sold it for parts on Ebay. So look there for parts. I bought a a EU20i of a friend, a great tool, Ive had it for 5 years, I change the oil, plug and clean the air filter at regular intervals. I run it mainly for the microwave (5 mins) in the garage of my van with the door open and this reduces the noise level. Being full time I wouldn't be without it.

keninpalamos - 2015-08-14 11:03 AM

I can see bricks, cow dung, etc heading my way as I admit to using a EU20i from time to time in the winter. My charger is a Schaudt Elektrobloc EBL 105-2 which is rated at 15amps and has no Gel/Wet setting. Batteries are 2 x 6volt traction by Trojan rated at 250 amp hrs. To use the 15 amp charger on these using the EU20i would take until the middle of next week, which it used to. I now use a BB1250 Sterling unit which runs via the starter battery from the alternator. Because of the type of battery I use (open wet) it will charge at 14.8v at 50 amps gradually decreasing the amps as the charge builds. This takes about an hour or two at maximum depending on how discharged the battery bank is. I have just added a shore line charger By Sterling. Again 12v 50 amps Pro charge Ultra which a EU20i will run well within it's limits. This unit takes about the same amount of time to fully charge the batteries before going into float mode. Plus I have 350 watts of solar power which can produce 15amps on a good day. So I don't get much thrown at me and even then not for very long :D and haven't used a camp site in 15 years nor toilet chemicals or anything else. Why the negative vibes man.

I have the same chargers as you, and I also have the Sterling 1kw inverter. Sterling have a useful policy that if their gear fails, they simply swap it out for a new one. They've done that with me. Appalling, disgusting attitude if you manage to speak or email Charles Sterling the owner, but the rest of the staff are great.

I took delivery last night of the Champion and what they didn't say is that the only socket on it apart from the 12v one is one of those 2 pin European ones. Luckily I have an adapter. I'll put some oil in tonight and try it out.

There are a couple of comments here about either generators taking a long time to charge the batteries or the fitment of additional 'Fast Chargers'.

One thing often not taken into account is the battery technology which is an important consideration with a Generator, as it can affect the running cost by a big margin?

Gel and AGM batteries take more than twice as long to charge as a quality high technology Wet Acid battery. That is twice the generator running time.

A Varta Silver Dynamic Powerframe battery will charge more quickly again and take less energy to do so especially compared to a battery around 3 years old. They can charge nearly 3 times as quickly as a similarly age three year old Gel, more than halving your fuel bill.

Likewise when charging on Alternator they will charge in half the drive time.

However, a Varta SD must never be used with a B2B like a Sterling as these units charge at a rate much higher than most Battery manufacturers recommend, which a quality battery will not like.

aandncaravan - 2015-08-14 10:15 PM

There are a couple of comments here about either generators taking a long time to charge the batteries or the fitment of additional 'Fast Chargers'.

One thing often not taken into account is the battery technology which is an important consideration with a Generator, as it can affect the running cost by a big margin?

Gel and AGM batteries take more than twice as long to charge as a quality high technology Wet Acid battery. That is twice the generator running time.

A Varta Silver Dynamic Powerframe battery will charge more quickly again and take less energy to do so especially compared to a battery around 3 years old. They can charge nearly 3 times as quickly as a similarly age three year old Gel, more than halving your fuel bill.

Likewise when charging on Alternator they will charge in half the drive time.

However, a Varta SD must never be used with a B2B like a Sterling as these units charge at a rate much higher than most Battery manufacturers recommend, which a quality battery will not like.

There is some magic here!

1. Please explain how a Varta silver dynamic charging from a 15A charger is going to accept twice the charging current as any other wet/agm/gel battery. Where is this extra magical extra 15A coming from? Or are you suggesting that the others will only accept 7.5A or even only a 5A charging rate?

The very last 10% might be quicker but the vast majority of owners who need to charge depleted batteries are only really interested in the bulk charging rate.

2. Then you say don't fit a varta silver dynamic in conjunction with a b2b charger because it WON'T accept the higher charging rate!?

Well my gel batteries are specified to accept a C5 charging rate even without temperature compensation, thats 44A (from b2b) into 2 110Ah batteries.

Which is it?

Kev

ps. to save anyone else looking there is NO documentation by either Varta or Bosch that actually gives silver dynamic charging rates, deep discharge cycles (not even medium discharge cycles come to that) nor any other hint that it can be used as a leisure battery. It is not even a stop/start battery, it is just a very good quality starter battery.

Archived