Help finding it painful to change gear

Noyan

Have a autotrail Apache 600se 2005. Very happy with it it's a lovely comfy van. But due to a problem with my left wrist I am finding it difficult to change gear . Is the only answer to change to an automatic? The layout and van does every thing we need would be reluctant to swap, but may have to any thoughts???

I am assuming you have a Ducato?

The gear shift on mine was as easy as a car, so it could be a case of sticky linkages (which can happen). A bit of cleaning and lubrication might make a big difference.

Secondly, why not try a wrist support for driving? I have no idea of your exact problem but I found that an ankle problem I had (old Football injury) improved significantly after a year or so of using a support. The problem is much less these days.

Noyan - 2015-08-10 9:02 AM

Have a autotrail Apache 600se 2005. Very happy with it it's a lovely comfy van. But due to a problem with my left wrist I am finding it difficult to change gear . Is the only answer to change to an automatic? The layout and van does every thing we need would be reluctant to swap, but may have to any thoughts???

These vans can suffer from a partially seized gearbox selector mechanism, I had the same problem on my 2005 van, the cure is relatively straight forward, removal of same, and getting rid of any rust, then applying a good quality grease, another issue can be a worn stabiliser bush that mounts from the rear of the engine to the cross member, again an easy fix, although that's not directly the cause of problems changing gears, but judder in taking up the drive, and whilst your garage has it up on the ramps, given the age of your vehicle I'd get them both done, an hour and a half labour I'd guess, and about £30 for the engine mount,

;-)

have a read of this link,

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/108887-ducato-gear-linkage-overhaul-pics.html

Helpful solutions for solving the problem with your van but personally I'd get my wrist sorted if possible. RSI [Repetitive Strain Injury] is more common at home than in some work environments.

Can anyone else, such as an insured partner, have a drive in the van to see how they find the gearbox?

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2015-08-10 10:45 AM

lennyhb - 2015-08-10 9:42 AM

Several makes of auto clutch on the market, this is one of them , or if you don't want any form of auto why not get a LHD van.

...useful for a bad left leg, but not for a bad wrist. ;-)

Is the gear change not on the right hand side on a left hand drive vehicle? :-S ..........

I do have similar problem with the car gear stick as well but only on lower gears so I think problem is the withered tendon in my wrist. But will get garage to check the gearbox selector it's due for a service soon. Thanks for you help

pelmetman - 2015-08-10 12:35 PM

Several makes of auto clutch on the market, this is one of them , or if you don't want any form of auto why not get a LHD van.

Is the gear change not on the right hand side on a left hand drive vehicle? :-S ..........

Presumably the wrist would still be painful when steering with it, one-handed...? B-)

Not sure how the gear knob is fixed on the Ducato but if you Google 'gear stick extension' you might be able to extend the gear stick which would in effect give you more leverage and thus less effort, albeit with a longer throw, but it might be worth looking at as a fairly low cost aid?

I did this for my Dad on his car many (over 30!) years ago when he too had problems with his left hand.

I also fitted a handbrake extension for my dear old Dad but as your handbrake is on tthe right hand side I guess that is not an issue for you?

pelmetman - 2015-08-10 12:35 PM

I was referring to the highlighted text, i.e. the autoclutch, not to LHD. :-S

Archived