Fiat cab heater

Knaus

Model of van may be a help, although I do remember reading about someone changing one on an X240, as it was illustrated with pictures as well it looked an absolute nightmare of a job, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and hope I'm wrong. :-(

I changed one once many years ago on an early Boxer after being quoted a horrendous price by the Peugeot dealer.

It took me two days of pulling and pushing and worming my way up under the dashboard working out how to dismantle the dashboard, most of it's contents, and the heater assembly with it's water and control cable and lever connections.

It's not that complicated once you get going but it is very time consuming and I seem to recall that I took the cab seats and their mounting boxes out to give me more room to wiggle about which, to me at least, was well worth the effort!

Perhaps I was lucky but I didn't end up with any bits left over and the dashboard didn't even rattle after I had finished, unlike a friend's whose heater was done by the nain dealer and his dashboard rattled and squeaked over every bump!

I shan't be doing it again if ever it needs to be done now that I am too many years older and a lot less flexible!

Joe90 - 2015-08-11 11:46 AM

Model of van may be a help, although I do remember reading about someone changing one on an X240, as it was illustrated with pictures as well it looked an absolute nightmare of a job, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and hope I'm wrong. :-(

Possibly this forum thread?

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-Dripping-cab-heater/27048/

Brambles - 2015-08-15 5:39 PM

...and if not the heater matrix, and they get really mean, start with headlight bulbs and on the engine start with the cambelt or glowplugs.

Spot on, I've just enquired how much to change my cambelt on my Ford Focus, the last time I got involved with one was on a Sierra that I did myself in about half an hour, and about ten quid for the belt, an easy peasy job.

Fast forward to now, a bill for nearly £500, mainly for the labour involved, bloody madness

Did ours last year, have to say you DO NOT have to remove anywhere near the amount shown in those pictures, just take off the lower dash and the gear lever (without disconnecting just unbolt and lay to one side). Then release the heater controls from the dash, and the complete heater can be manoeuvred out downwards and to the left (passenger side on a right hand drive) this is of course after disconnecting the water hoses and disconnecting the wiring plugs and undoing the under bonnet bolts and the bolts holding the heater unit to the chassis.

Bas

Basil - 2015-08-15 8:50 PM

Did ours last year, have to say you DO NOT have to remove anywhere near the amount shown in those pictures, just take off the lower dash and the gear lever (without disconnecting just unbolt and lay to one side). Then release the heater controls from the dash, and the complete heater can be manoeuvred out downwards and to the left (passenger side on a right hand drive) this is of course after disconnecting the water hoses and disconnecting the wiring plugs and undoing the under bonnet bolts and the bolts holding the heater unit to the chassis.

Bas

Was this on an X240, there was no way I could manouver out as you describe. I also did not have any under bonnet bolts to remove. from memory. Just the hoses to disconnect. Also the cross member was well and trully jaming the the heater unit in place against the bulkhead so it had to be loosened and only way to do that was remove the top dash.

Yes same dash as in pictures. It was tight but just able to do it with some moving to get the angle right, fortunately had advice from a motor engineer neighbour who had done one previously. Strangely it was harder to put the unit back in as it appeared to jam halfway, but with a little brute strength it went in.

The under bonnet nuts were around the grommet that the pipes go through, this has to be removed to allow enough movement to twist the unit as you pull it out to give sufficient clearance

Bas

Ahh yes, I remember the rubber grommet plate thing now. . I am amazed you managed to get it out without removing the top dash. I clearly must have been missing the trick of how to manipulate out which was hard enough as it was with the cross member shifted to give more clearance. ...or maybe I just assumed the top dash had to come off...certainly made it easier to see what I was doing but what a lot of extra work I gave myself. Darn!!

Brambles - 2015-08-16 12:48 AM

Ahh yes, I remember the rubber grommet plate thing now. . I am amazed you managed to get it out without removing the top dash. I clearly must have been missing the trick of how to manipulate out which was hard enough as it was with the cross member shifted to give more clearance. ...or maybe I just assumed the top dash had to come off...certainly made it easier to see what I was doing but what a lot of extra work I gave myself. Darn!!

Don't beat yourself up too much, I couldn't see how it came out until my neighbour guided me! Had to take the floor coverings out as well by the way it is that tight and it still took me a day and a half without taking the top off! LoL!

Bas

LOL.. I did not have to take the floor coverings up as you can see in the original pics. Probably as I loosened the dash cross member. If that bit of metal which hangs down to support the glove box was removeable (bolted on) life would be much easier replacing the heater.... I suspect.

Not actually beating myself up because it meant I could sort out the alignment of the dash and also the heater ducts alignment for the side vents which was about an inch out as badly assembled.

By some trick of genetics vehicle heating designers are built like gorillas along with a bad attitude. As a result they get first crack at installing their gear in a new design. Everyone else has to fit their bits on top.

Well that my theory after several knuckle skinning two or three day jobs doing the archaeolgical digs needed to change leaking or silted up heaters

Archived