Newbie saying hello & 1st night advice!

SteveJB

Hi all,

My wife and I are embarking on our first trip in a motorhome in four weeks time. We've got our vehicle hire sorted, and a loose plan of where we are going. We didn't want to over plan it as we want the adventure.

However, I had found an Aire for our first night stop, it's a motorway one, but tonight I've read a few things about giving motorway Aires a miss because of crime.

We're travelling on the Tunnel on a Monday evening, so the advice I'm seeking is a recommended place to head for the first night stop, as I don't want to drive through the night but want to get away from Calais.

The first proper destination is Chamonix so any recommendations in that direction please?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Steve.

Your inquiry (or a similar question) is often asked on motorhome forums. This is a September 2014 discussion that suggests a few overnighting places not far from Calais.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Where-to-stay-the-night-near-Calais/35998/

This is not an easy thing to advise on, as a couple of hours driving on an autoroute going south would be expected to put you 100 miles away from Calais. It would also be helpful if you said which route you plan to take from Calais towards Chamonix, as there’s little point forum-members suggesting great places to stay if these would involve a long detour from your preferred route. (For example, if you have decided to take the E15 south-east from Calais, staying overnight on the west sea-coast would be a non-starter.)

SteveJB - 2015-08-12 10:02 PM

................ I had found an Aire for our first night stop, it's a motorway one, but tonight I've read a few things about giving motorway Aires a miss because of crime.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Don't get confused between the aires on motorways, and the aires in villages / towns, they are entirely different things.

The aires on motorways are " aires de repos " which are simply places to take a break from driving and /or refuelling. These are NOT recommended for overnight stays for security reasons.

The aires in villages and towns are " aires de camping car " which are sites set up by local communities as basic overnight stopping / camping areas to attract tourists.

;-)

malc d - 2015-08-13 10:09 AM

Don't get confused between the aires on motorways, and the aires in villages / towns, they are entirely different things.

The aires on motorways are " aires de repos " which are simply places to take a break from driving and /or refuelling. These are NOT recommended for overnight stays for security reasons.

The aires in villages and towns are " aires de camping car " which are sites set up by local communities as basic overnight stopping / camping areas to attract tourists.

;-)

Unfortunately it’s more complicated than you suggest...

As mentioned here

http://about-france.com/motorway-services.htm

“aires’ on French autoroutes fall into two categories - “aires de service” or “aires de repos” - and the ‘aire’ mentioned in the 2014 forum discussion I provided a link to (Aire de la Baie de Somme on the A16 autoroute about 70 miles south of Calais) is the former type.

In French villages and towns, places where motorhomes can empty waste-water/toilet tanks and take on fresh water are referred to as “aires de services camping-car” and may, or may not, have associated parking. (An ‘aire’ that offers/allows motorhome parking, but has no ‘servicing’ facilities, is generally called by camping-caristes an “aire de stationnement”.)

These links MAY help to dispel any confusion

http://www.motorcaravanning.com/travel/aires.htm

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Aires

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Help-needed-Different-types-of-Aire/10472/

but avoiding overnighting on autoroutes is the simplest rule to follow.

zombies - 2015-08-13 12:53 PM

Personally I would think Chamonix is a long drive before your first stop.

Look for a village aire (as mentioned) off your desired route.

Pick one off here - https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/carte

Green aires are free, shows you exactly where they are and photos etc

Viamichelin gives a distance of 536 miles from Calais to Chamonix, with 525 miles possible on motorways, but I’m not certain from Steve’s statement “The first proper destination is Chamonix” if he intends to drive directly to Chamonix from his first overnight stop in France south of Calais or to break the journey with an interim overnighter. I definitely wouldn’t plan to do over 400 miles in one stretch even if the vast majority of the distance was on motorways, but it’s certainly doable if two people can share the driving.

The applicability of the website you’ve provided a link to wlill depend on the route Steve takes from Calais, as ‘aires’ in the north-eastern chunk of France are sparsely covered. Alternative websites would be

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueil.htm

The OP quite clearly states he is arriving via the tunnel of an evening, I take from that he wants to stop fairly soon after arrival on French soil, and here I suspect I part with the usual advice on here and elsewhere, making an exception to the usual don't stop on motorways for just this particular stop

We frequently stay at the dedicated Motorhome overnight stop on the A16 La Baie De Somme, which is on the toll section between Boulogne and Abbeville, ( around 12 euros ) and for those of a nervous disposition the area is patrolled by the Gendarmes, and every time we've stopped there we have been in company of several others. This is a quiet area, well set back from the carriageway, and also away from the main parking areas for trucks and other vehicles, we always sleep soundly without issue.

Don't take my word for it, see what others say and make your own mind up.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_printer_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=169365

I assume you are travelling by autoroute and the fastest way is via Reims, I do this route every winter. Why not stop on the Reims aire, not far off the autoroute and a nice evening can be spent here. Calais to Chamonix in a motorhome 10 hours easy by autoroute. You could consider staying on the marina aire in Calais and making an early start so do it in a day.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you bought the ACSI discount camping card yet. By September, the discount system is back for campsites, and as this is your first trip, it may be better to use a site rather than an Aire, where you have fewer facilities. Having said that, I agree with others that village Aires are certainly a better bet that service stations on motorways.

Enjoy the trip, and unless time is really urgent, take your time on route, and enjoy the scenery! (lol)

Hi Derek,

Thank you for the advice so far.

As we are using the tunnel in the evening I am looking for a place to stop to sleep for the night around 50 - 100 miles from Calais, recommendations for this are what I'm after.

We will then carry on our journey South the following morning, heading towards Chamonix. Depending on what we find along the way arriving in Chamonix could be the next day or three days later.

The E15 was the road I was looking at, so somewhere off there would be great.

Joe90 - 2015-08-13 4:10 PM

The OP quite clearly states he is arriving via the tunnel of an evening, I take from that he wants to stop fairly soon after arrival on French soil, and here I suspect I part with the usual advice on here and elsewhere, making an exception to the usual don't stop on motorways for just this particular stop

We frequently stay at the dedicated Motorhome overnight stop on the A16 La Baie De Somme, which is on the toll section between Boulogne and Abbeville, ( around 12 euros ) and for those of a nervous disposition the area is patrolled by the Gendarmes, and every time we've stopped there we have been in company of several others. This is a quiet area, well set back from the carriageway, and also away from the main parking areas for trucks and other vehicles, we always sleep soundly without issue.

Don't take my word for it, see what others say and make your own mind up.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_printer_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=169365

Nail on the head Joe, thanks for your advice. Sounds just what I'm looking for!

rupert123 - 2015-08-13 4:52 PM

I assume you are travelling by autoroute and the fastest way is via Reims, I do this route every winter. Why not stop on the Reims aire, not far off the autoroute and a nice evening can be spent here. Calais to Chamonix in a motorhome 10 hours easy by autoroute. You could consider staying on the marina aire in Calais and making an early start so do it in a day.

Thank you Rupert, Reims also sounds good, I had looked there on the map. I'll have a closer look at their Aire, as that was about as far as I wanted to get.

I'm keen to get away from Calais with the various issues they've been having.....

flyboyprowler - 2015-08-13 5:15 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Have you bought the ACSI discount camping card yet. By September, the discount system is back for campsites, and as this is your first trip, it may be better to use a site rather than an Aire, where you have fewer facilities. Having said that, I agree with others that village Aires are certainly a better bet that service stations on motorways.

Enjoy the trip, and unless time is really urgent, take your time on route, and enjoy the scenery! (lol)

Thank you for the advice. Yes the card is on the list to sort this week. We have 3 weeks away and the plan is to relax and absorb as much local culture as possible. We'll certainly not be rushing to get anywhere.

malc d - 2015-08-13 10:09 AM

SteveJB - 2015-08-12 10:02 PM

................ I had found an Aire for our first night stop, it's a motorway one, but tonight I've read a few things about giving motorway Aires a miss because of crime.

Thanks in advance, Steve

;-)

Thank you Malc, that is exactly the mistake I'd made. Much appreciated reply

You've been misinformed, aires do not have closing times,! ! and having used hundreds of them over the years the one at Calais is one of the worst, the service point is usually pretty disgusting, and the constant throbbing of ships engines throughout the night do not aid a peaceful nights sleep, nor does the constant departure and arrivals of vans to get to the ferry or tunnel terminal at stupid middle of the night times, just to save a few quid.......... only ever used it once, and that was more than enough. ;-)

That's Calais back off the list then!

I looked at the Aire for Reims and it said the barrier code was available until 10pm. Maybe an email to them to clarify is needed.

I shall keep looking for now, thanks again for the advice.

SteveJB - 2015-08-13 9:35 PM

That's Calais back off the list then!

I looked at the Aire for Reims and it said the barrier code was available until 10pm. Maybe an email to them to clarify is needed.

I shall keep looking for now, thanks again for the advice.

A bit of a punch at around 200 miles, especially as you're arriving at night, and if you use the peage that will add around 30 euros to your costs, and I can only speak for myself obviously, but daylight is my preferred option with the French drivers. :D

P.S, never used the aire at Reims, so the barrier thingy not being accessible after 10 pm is a new one on me, every pay to enter barrier I've ever encountered has no such limitation, but I'm normally in bed with my cocoa by then these days,..................... used to be a good woman, but I've forgotten why now ;-)

Joe90 - 2015-08-13 4:10 PM...................... We frequently stay at the dedicated Motorhome overnight stop on the A16 La Baie De Somme, which is on the toll section between Boulogne and Abbeville, ( around 12 euros ) and for those of a nervous disposition the area is patrolled by the Gendarmes, and every time we've stopped there we have been in company of several others. This is a quiet area, well set back from the carriageway, and also away from the main parking areas for trucks and other vehicles, we always sleep soundly without issue. .........................

But, sadly, it is on the wrong route (A16/E402 towards Amiens rather than A26/E15 towards Reims).

As above, from the tunnel to Reims is about 170 miles, so probably a bit far for comfort. 50 miles would get you to somewhere between Bethune and Arras, and 100 miles to St Quentin, so you seem to be looking for a decent stopover near the A26 between Bethune and St Quentin. Does that help anyone with recommendations?

SteveJB - 2015-08-13 10:09 PM

Yeah 200 is a bit more than I hoped. I'm hoping for a recommendation for one a bit closer....

After day 1 I too intend to be settled each day way before evening time!

If / when using campsites it's a good idea to arrive by about 4 pm - you'll have a better choice of pitches.

;-)

Hi, I could reccommend the Aire at Arques, St omer

it is about 1 hour from Calais and the aire overlooks a lake..

the aire itself is adjacent to the municipal campsite, and you have to drive to the left of the reception building, around the back of the campsite to get into the Aire itself.

I seem to remember that a small charge about 3 euro was made for the aire, or of course you could use the municipal site itself if you prefer.

sat nav details n50 degrees 44.731 mins e 2 degrees18.276 mins

if you have the Aires book, it is on page207

the campsite is Camping Beausejour at Arques, St omer.

We have used it on a number of occasions

Hope this might help.

tonyg3nwl

Joe90 - 2015-08-13 9:10 PM

You've been misinformed, aires do not have closing times,! ! and having used hundreds of them over the years the one at Calais is one of the worst, the service point is usually pretty disgusting, and the constant throbbing of ships engines throughout the night do not aid a peaceful nights sleep, nor does the constant departure and arrivals of vans to get to the ferry or tunnel terminal at stupid middle of the night times, just to save a few quid.......... only ever used it once, and that was more than enough. ;-)

Sorry Joe but as I suggested the marina aire this is nonsense. You cannot hear the ferry from here and no van that we heard either arrived or departed late at night.

Archived