Garmin SAT

Len Salisbury

I recently up-dated my Garmin NUVI 250 for £49 and coming back from Dover to Home in N Wales it was telling me to come off the motorway at every exit.. I contacted Garmin and they told me to download the maps again which I did.

On Wednesday 12 Aug it did exactly the same again Everything had been fine until then. I pulled in and re-set my Garmin to Wales and put in my Post Code and house number and it worked as it should do. So no more of telling it to go HOME using the Icon. Anybody else had this problem?

I've had snooper, garmin, jaguar, and Tom-Tom, and from time to time they all go doolaly.

When you think that little box is picking up multiple satellite signals from space, determining your position, speed and direction, calculating the route to a specified destination with factors like motorways, speed limits and bridge heights, I forgive it these irritating blips.

On the same route as you it kept trying to take me over Snowden, I think it was set to shortest rather than fastest route.

Len Salisbury - 2015-08-14 3:14 PM

I recently up-dated my Garmin NUVI 250 for £49 and coming back from Dover to Home in N Wales it was telling me to come off the motorway at every exit.. I contacted Garmin and they told me to download the maps again which I did.

On Wednesday 12 Aug it did exactly the same again Everything had been fine until then. I pulled in and re-set my Garmin to Wales and put in my Post Code and house number and it worked as it should do. So no more of telling it to go HOME using the Icon. Anybody else had this problem?

It sounds like the update process had caused your HOME location to be cleared/overwritten/lost.

After all, the Garmin doesn't know where you live.

Just go into the Settings menu and 'Set Home Location' and I would expect it to work as it did prior to the update.

Not relevant to the particular problem, but I have read suggestions not to set the "home" location as, should your van be broken into and the sat-nav nicked, the thief then knows, a) where you live, and b) that you aren't in!

I also think that setting the actual co-ordinates for a location, as opposed to its postcode, gives far greater certainty of accurate navigation.

I have to agree, can never recognise either our street or our front door. 8-) :D

Although I am reminded of my old man who liked a good few ales coming home one night after a skin full going in through a neighbours back door, ( often left open in those days ) and climbing the stairs and getting into bed much to the astonishment of the lady and gentleman of the house, perfectly true story.

He could have done with accurate coordinates :D

Archived