Wild camping in southern Ireland

Grumpyman

Guest Peter James
I had a week there 10 years ago, did Dublin (looks no different to Manchester) and Ring of Kerry (beautiful). Wild Camped every night no problem at all. But hopefully someone will have more recent info.

Guest Peter James
Billggski - 2015-08-15 6:54 PM

Dublin no different to Manchester?

Where did you go?

'Dublin looks no different to big English cities like Manchester' is what the Irish Ferries worker directing the traffic said to me when we were waiting to disembark. He recommended the coast around the Giants Causeway instead and I am sure he was right. But I had set my heart on seeing Dublin so went there anyway. After spending an afternoon cycling around the centre of Dublin I could see what he meant. I intended to see the coast he recommended as well, but Ireland is bigger than I realised, and my time was limited, so I never made it there

Did Southern Ireland a few years ago only spent one night on a site, although wild camping is illegal in Ireland it is the norm everyone does it, we found some lovely spots on the coast all round the south. Sometimes you get no camping signs, if you have a word with the locals they tell you to just park in front of the sign it's only been put there to discourage travelers. We never had any problems filling up with water at garages when buying fuel. LPG is a bit scarce but is available.

Archived