Swift Escape 664 or Chausson Flash 610

Lw71

Would value anyone's opinion. We are thinking of upgrading our MH and are currently deciding between the Swift Escape 664 and Chausson 610 as these are the optimum size we can fit on our drive (both under 6.7m) and sleep 3 as we have a teenage daughter who is 5'8" so some of the 3 beds aren't really long enough for her.

Does anyone have experience of either of these models - would be interested in knowing what the lower bed of the Chausson feels like - is it claustrophobic with the pull down bed above it?

Also, what is the quality/reliability of either of the manufacturers (not owned a Swift or Chausson before)

Thanks & look forward to your thoughts

Can't help concerning the specific models, but we're Chausson fans, having had a Flash S2 from new 5 years ago. Have travelled all over the continent without any problems.

We prefer continental built vans to British ones, and Chausson are innovative with their design ideas. Part of the huge Trigano group.

Good luck whichever you choose to go for.

Mike

Cant speak about the Swift but we purchased a new 610 6 weeks ago, our first MH.

We normally only sleep two, however my daughter joined us on one trip, no complaints from the lower bed, you can set the top bed at any level although it pre sets at the optimum level for the ladders - ladders that lock in place- normally when only two of us are sleeping we drop the bed all the way down.

I thought only having one gas tank would be an issue, however because the hot water and heating can run of the diesel tank ( which we always use ) we have hardly used any gas.

The shower is excellent the clothes cupboard huge - for our daughter she could shower and change without re-entering the main area - the garage space is great , I also opted for the new Ford Cab. the Ford audio is very good the system can operate whilst the engine is switched off , and automatically switches off after 30 mins , listen to the radio and fall asleep - perfect.

Before buying we looked at loads and hired the much more expensive Wingham for two weeks , I logged onto You Tube and watched various MH videos - the Chausson 610 receives very good revues.

We took this as sound advice and searched the country to go see one, we have no regrets.

Have taken delivery of a 610 a couple of months ago. Atrip to Venice a short time later we took it on a trip to Venice wihout any problems. The bottom berth when made up is quite comfortable, and the drop down bed can be lowered as far as is needed.

This is the fourth van we have had, and the best. We did have a swift once, but would not have another one, but would have another Chausson.

Lw71

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Louise.

The Chausson 610 comes in two flavours - one is Ford Transit and the other is Fiat Ducato. Conversely, the Swift Escape is Fiat Ducato-only. This would really only be important to you if you wanted an automatic gearbox (as this is not available on the Transit) but it’s worth saying nevertheless.

The interior layouts are quite different, with the Swift’s being ‘traditional’ with a longitudinal fixed double-bed in one corner and a crossways front bed made up from the front seating, whereas the Chausson has the drop-down roof bed. The Swift is a single-storey design, while the Chausson is two-storey and this difference translates into the Chausson gaining sufficient extra space to have a big bathroom and separate shower and a big rear garage in a vehicle no longer than the Swift.

Your choice may boil down to how often your daughter travels with you as, if she travels with you a lot, accessing the Chausson’s roof-bed via a ladder might become tiresome.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep well away from Swift !, the escape is a budget van and built very cheaply, it's had lots of issues just like a lot of Autotrails especially with damp even vans a year old. If you have the money buy German.

Look on eBay at how many escapes there are for sale and not many are selling, I've repaired motor homes for years and for my money I'd buy Hobby or another german make certainly not an English van !!

Shame I know, I wish they could build them as good I would buy one but just been logical.

Archived