Facebook for seniors

Tracker

For those of my generation who do not and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists:-

I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook,whilst applying the same principles.

Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell a s many passers by as will listen

what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the

night before, what I will do later, and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening,

taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of

landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody

and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them

that I like them.

And it works just like Facebook.

I already have eight people following me: two police officers, a private

investigator, a psychologist, two psychiatrists, and two men in white coats

Guest mikethe bike
Just about sums Facebook up Richard. And just how pointless it is. I'm like you and find it all utterly boring. Who the hell cares what someone had for breakfast.

Ignorance is, well, just ignorance.

Once you weed out the wheat from the chaff, it really is a wonderful tool. I communicate effortlessly with pictures, videos, news etc etc with friends and relatives around the World.

The Bailey motorhome section is absolutely invaluable, the ease of sharing information and pictures compared with this site for example, is a doddle.

Yes, the "Here's my breakfast" pics are, well, frankly embarrassing but are embarrassingly easy to avoid too.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-08-20 8:35 AM

Once you weed out the wheat from the chaff, it really is a wonderful tool. I communicate effortlessly with pictures, videos, news etc etc with friends and relatives around the World.

The Bailey motorhome section is absolutely invaluable, the ease of sharing information and pictures compared with this site for example, is a doddle.

Yes, the "Here's my breakfast" pics are, well, frankly embarrassing but are embarrassingly easy to avoid too.

Martyn

Agree! (...........and the name wasn't Ancients!)

Having no knowledge of Facebook or Twitter - and seeing no need to use them myself - it's Twitter that I don't really understand.

It seems you can set yourself up with any name you like ( maybe even your own ) and start broadcasting your opinions to the world.

You then get " followers " who , it seems, really have no idea of who the messages come from.

Can any Twitter users confirm that that is the way it works ?

:-D

Lady T's business recently employed the services of a student to develop their presence on Social media networks.

He explained that Facebook and Twitter were more aimed at the middle aged plus and the younger ones are into Instagram.

All that said, he's recently done some analysis and has evidenced that since he's been involved, (6 months), links from social media sites, that have resulted in actual sales have increased business by just over 10%.

Whether some folk like it or not, it sure as anything is going nowhere.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-08-20 10:33 AM

Lady T's business recently employed the services of a student to develop their presence on Social media networks.

He explained that Facebook and Twitter were more aimed at the middle aged plus and the younger ones are into Instagram.

All that said, he's recently done some analysis and has evidenced that since he's been involved, (6 months), links from social media sites, that have resulted in actual sales have increased business by just over 10%.

Martyn

Or, to put it another way, he's proved / confirmed that advertising works.

;-)

Of course Malc, advertising on social media clearly works.

I was really trying to point out the staggering interest in social media sites rather than the value of advertising.

It puzzles, no amuses me, the comments around social media usage on here, and yet folk comment on what is essentially a social media site, or a Forum if you like.

Such is life 8-)

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-08-20 11:12 AM

Of course Malc, advertising on social media clearly works.

I was really trying to point out the staggering interest in social media sites rather than the value of advertising.

It puzzles, no amuses me, the comments around social media usage on here, and yet folk comment on what is essentially a social media site, or a Forum if you like.

Such is life 8-)

Martyn

Very true Martyn.

My only concern about social media, and the internet in general, is the authenticity of messages / websites.

Are they really who they say they are - and how does anyone know - it all seems to be a matter of trust.

Come to think of it Martyn- are YOU really a Lord ???

;-)

People spending their time on Facebook, sometimes from morning till night, posting all sorts of drivel and opinions, how utterly pointless (!)

The next thing you'll know is a load of ( mainly ) old farts spending the same amount of time doing exactly the same on Motorhome forums.............................no that'll never happen will it ?

Guest Peter James
I don't like to say it because the last thing I would want to be is unapproachable or discourage contact and friendships. But frankly the most surprising thing about facebook for me was the number of approaches I got from people I have never even heard of wanting to be my facebook 'friend' . I know nothing about them, and I doubt if they know anything about me

Peter, I've not worked out what or why those unknown friends requests arrive. Over the years I've been on Facebook I've probably received a dozen or so.

Only one warranted some investigation and it turned out to be a person who knew someone I knew from school, no connection at all essentially. Request refused.

Martyn

Guest Peter James
LordThornber - 2015-08-20 2:37 PM

Peter, I've not worked out what or why those unknown friends requests arrive. Over the years I've been on Facebook I've probably received a dozen or so.

Only one warranted some investigation and it turned out to be a person who knew someone I knew from school, no connection at all essentially. Request refused.

Martyn

Well I don't have people I don't know contacting me out of the blue wanting to be my friend in real life like I do on facebook so I guessed it must be a facebook peculiarity.

Maybe they are just trying to clock up the maximum number of so called 'friends' to impress others

But if you accepted their seemingly harmless friend request you would be effectively vouching for them

My concern is someone untrustworthy gaining trust of vulnerable people by having so many facebook 'friends'

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2015-08-20 2:37 PM

Martyn

Blimey I get one a week 8-) ..........I maybe on it........but I don't use it? :-S ........

LordThornber - 2015-08-20 8:35 AM

Martyn

Thank you ! A serious and sensible post about Facebook. Before people mock and dismiss it they should at least try it first. I really enjoy my time on Facebook. If your friends really are your friends then they're sure to be likeminded people, and, like mine, won't spend all day posting "selfies" (what an awful concept !) or pictures of their dinner and banal statuses.

It's also a great news resource - I like the BBC and the Guardian among others and I get a lot of updates from them, from breaking news to opinion pieces, every time i sign into Facebook.

Anyway, don't knock it till you try it.

Archived