Want to get started

Andy1723

Joe90 - 2015-08-20 8:45 PM

Ask yourself this question, at the end of perhaps a tiring day at home, would you relish the idea of facing bedtime every night by first shuffling around cushions in the hope that they may resemble a bed, especially if they have knee rolls that end up in all the wrong places, then have to get all your bedding out..................then pack it all away the next morning, then more cushion shuffling to put them all back, then repeat ad-infinitum.

.or would you just go out and buy a proper bed. ;-)

I will second the thoughts about taking your time and going round dealers and motorhome shows. I reckon we ended up looking at around 100 different vans before deciding on the model we wanted.

We've recently bought a rear lounge layout van with a pull out bed. We use thin memory foam mattress topper over the cushions that is fitted inside a quilt cover, so there is no need for a seperate sheet. Pulling out the bed and putting the memory foam mattress topper + quilt + pillows takes a maximum of 5 minutes to put together and may be a minute more to put away. For us, this is a small price to pay for extra space it gives us in a small van.

I have loved reading your comments regarding beds and which is best and all the opinions on what is good and what is bad :-D :-D I will be taking my time and trying to look at every option and van make on the market, I wont to get it right first time and I don't think anyone does, but just so long the errors are small ones I will be happy.

I do like the coach built vans and in the first year or 2 we will be exploring the UK, born in yorkshire and spent most of my working life taking my hard earnt 2 weeks holiday abroad , so now I have time to ride out those rainy days , we are going to discover our fantastic home land. Then after which we will be doing europe.

So its got to be the right van, the right power, the right size with fixed or not bed :-D :-D

I will keep you all posted and maybe I might bump ( not literally) into you someday, for a beer and a good old I told you so chin wag :-D :-D

Andy1723 - 2015-08-21 9:06 PM

I do like the coach built vans and in the first year or 2 we will be exploring the UK, born in yorkshire and spent most of my working life taking my hard earnt 2 weeks holiday abroad , so now I have time to ride out those rainy days , we are going to discover our fantastic home land. Then after which we will be doing europe.

If you intend to tour on the continent my advice would be to do, at least some of it, sooner rather than later.

You can plod around the U.K. any time without worrying about covering long distances, or about health insurance. As you get older these can become an issue ( and an expense ) touring the continent.

;-)

Malc D makes an excellent point ;-)

Europe first, the UK when you are really in your dotage, France in particular is motorhome heaven...............roll on the 3rd of Sep for another 6 weeks in La Belle France.

Andy1723 - 2015-08-22 7:18 PM

I'm 54 guys ???

Ideal age to start continental touring.

You should be able to see most of it by the time you are 70 - and then you can potter around the U.K.

:-D

Unfortunately these things are not always dependent on age - future health and fitness is the unknown factor.

Good luck, and happy travels anyway -wherever you decide to travel !

Archived