Winter sun shine in Europe

Kentish lady

Kentish lady - 2015-08-20 5:10 AM

Hello B-)

We have sold our house, and will be off to to Europe soon.

Looking to head to Europe for the winter sun shine!

Can anybody recommend where we should head for.

Thanks.

Go south, until you can't go any further, then the world's your lobster.

We've not done it yet but I have read a wide range of blogs, articles etc., because we intend to do the same next year.

General consensus seems to be south of Spain has the most consistent weather, although for the more adventurous Morocco is even better and there are plenty of French and other motorhomers over there.

Greece is slightly less good for weather and far fewer overwinterers, but it's another option if you get bored of Spain or don't want to spend you winters with legions of other north europeans.

I think we will also give sourthern Italy a go, but again the weather is not as good as Spain, but still much better than Britain!!

Portugal, as has been said, tends to be wetter, because it's on the Atlantic.

Guest pelmetman
shaggy - 2015-08-20 1:45 PM

We are thinking of going to Spain for a couple of months sometime over the winter period. Do the campsites tend to be full or can you just turn up. We are thinking of the Benidorm area but not exclusively there.

Gavin

Jan/Feb the more popular sites get fully booked ;-) ..........

timabob - 2015-08-20 12:23 PM

We've not done it yet but I have read a wide range of blogs, articles etc., because we intend to do the same next year.

General consensus seems to be south of Spain has the most consistent weather, although for the more adventurous Morocco is even better and there are plenty of French and other motorhomers over there.

Greece is slightly less good for weather and far fewer overwinterers, but it's another option if you get bored of Spain or don't want to spend you winters with legions of other north europeans.

I think we will also give sourthern Italy a go, but again the weather is not as good as Spain, but still much better than Britain!!

Portugal, as has been said, tends to be wetter, because it's on the Atlantic.

The French were warned off Morocco last winter by the the French Government and Portugal was packed with French motorhomers..

My apologies, the blogs I was reading about Morocco were more than a year old. I think I would think twice before going to Morocco with a motorhome, but i would still go there as a tourist in a thotel or B&B. We have been to various parts of Morocco 5 times including last November and so far everything seems calm and under control, but that could change very quickly.

The far South of Spain tends to be about a degree warmer on average than the area around Alicanti/Murcia but has twice the average rainfall. Benidorm has it's own micro climate as it is protected by mountains so has the best of both worlds - ON AVERAGE.

ron. - 2015-08-21 10:48 AM

The far South of Spain tends to be about a degree warmer on average than the area around Alicanti/Murcia but has twice the average rainfall. Benidorm has it's own micro climate as it is protected by mountains so has the best of both worlds - ON AVERAGE.

I know its a little further south, but there was me believing that the area of Cabo de Gata, it being officially a desert, was the driest place in europe.

markh1 - 2015-08-20 11:29 AM

Yes southern Spain, it's usually too wet in Portugal, go there after March

Portugal used to be called the kingdom of Portugal and the Algarve and there are very good reasons for that. If you winter in Algarve, it won't be wet, that's guaranteed. The mountains in the north of the province keep most of the rain away. In the west it might rain a bit more, but usually in the Algarve it rains very very little. I remember Winters in which it didn't even rain - though that's rare.

I've done Morocco once with the motorhome and I'll be doing it again, so I do recommend it.

We live in the Almanzora area of Spain, the driest and warmest part of Europe, especially in Winter. There are several sites in the Mojacar area, and many as you drive round the area south of Alicante.

Our area has a micro climate, and is certainly drier than any other area around. :-D ;-)

Archived