Corner steadies

Martin-in-Fareham

Can't imagine why they wouldn't so long as used as instructed i.e to steady not jack up.

We fitted them on our AT Scout which has a very long overhang and it makes a big difference.

Not offered as an extra by the manufacturer or dealer as that would be a strong indication?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

It would be best if you contacted Elddis itself about this

http://www.elddis.co.uk/contact-us

or at least an Elddis motorhome dealership.

I’m doubtful that any forum member can advise on 2016 models yet, but I note that the 2015 handbooks for the “Accordo” and “Autoquest” ranges both mention checking the condition of corner steadies as one of the annual servicing tasks. This may be a complete red herring, but if Elddis actually does provide corner steadies as standard (or as an option) on their motorhomes (as they used to do in years past) you would know that the current chassis are strong enough and (as Sydney1 says) it would be a fair bet that 2016 chassis would be too.

Corner steadies are (as you point out) just intended to stop a motorhome bouncing when parked up. As Sydney1 also advises, steadies should not be used to attempt to level the vehicle and, in principle, should not place a large load on a motorhome’s chassis, though in practice this can happen if the vehicle’s rear wheels sink into soft ground and the feet of the steadies have been well supported.

It has to be said though, that if steadies had been securely attached to the motorhome’s main chassis and the chassis proved to be not strong enough to handle any reasonable upwards ’thrust’ when the steadies had been deployed, there would be something seriously wrong with the chassis’s strength. If the steadies had been attached to the motorhome’s floor, well that’s another matter!!

Inquiries about retro-fitting corner steadies have come up several times in the past. Browsing through the relevant entries here may be useful

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=3&searchforumid=16&keywords=corner+steadies&author=&days=&Submit=Search

Scissor jacks are great heavy lumps, I guess most people who have toured over the ditch have seen m/her's using a truncated pyrmid jack, rather like an axle stand but much less robust. These have a screwed vertical rod which when wound up to the underside of the van chassis provide support.

The last time I saw any for sale was in Spain, when I didn't need them!! anyone know where these are available in the UK?

If you fit them you need to make sure you fit the right type and they are fitted correctly so that if you drive away with them down they automatically kick up and don't cause any damage.

Don't really see the need for them our van has a large overhang, yes it moves a bit when you walk about or turn over in bed, so what, it's all part of Motorhoming, just adds work. Like to be able to pull up handbrake on, seats swiveled job done.

lennyhb - 2015-08-21 10:02 AM

If you fit them you need to make sure you fit the right type and they are fitted correctly so that if you drive away with them down they automatically kick up and don't cause any damage.

Don't really see the need for them our van has a large overhang, yes it moves a bit when you walk about or turn over in bed, so what, it's all part of Motorhoming, just adds work. Like to be able to pull up handbrake on, seats swiveled job done.

Surely there's no wrong way of fitting them just the wrong direction of moving off if you forget to "wind them up", a bit like this forum. I thought I was bone idle but putting steadies down being too much, come on, that's got to be a wind up!

thebishbus - 2015-08-21 8:41 AM

On a camp site in France this year I noticed a M/H with a long rear overhang and no steadies. The owner had used a single scissor jack under the overhang instead.

Brian B.[/quote

rather than pay the large amount that Autotrail wanted to fit rear steadies to our Savannah (large Overhang), I bought a set of alloy Fiamma Jacks (second hand Fleabay). £25.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Jacks-and-Steadies-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Aluminium-Stabilising-Jacks

ps, always put them under the chassis, NOT the bodywork, as this old fiamma 'duffer' is doing.

lennyhb - 2015-08-21 2:31 PM

Used to hate that job on caravans certainly not going to do it on a Motorhome, live too short to spend ten minutes a day winding steadies up and down. :D

Not everyone drives off everyday. This thread is for them. (i Think ?)

• 1 month later...

We have steadies fitted as an "upgrade"spec when we bought the van from Marquis. We find they do make a difference, but I guess the van layout would play a part in this. Our door is near the back, and without the steadies down it dose move about, when getting in/out (again maybe, we are both much to heavy??)

Would certainly have them, you can always use an electric drill to wind them

PJay

I've got corner steadies on the A/S Neuvo. My wife asked me to wind them down as she said me moving around the van was giving her seasickness (well I think that was what she said *-) ). So I tried it and ......they don't reach the ground 8-) Suppose I'll need to carry a couple of half bricks :-D

Mag&Hal - 2015-10-10 3:46 PM

I fitted to some steadies available from CAK Tanks in Kenilworth. They swing and drop into place and are locked with a tommy bar. 5 seconds.

Do you have a photo or a link perhaps?

Sounds like a good solution for my Accordo

TrevR - 2015-10-11 9:03 AM

I fitted to some steadies available from CAK Tanks in Kenilworth. They swing and drop into place and are locked with a tommy bar. 5 seconds.

Would they be these? http://www.caktanks.co.uk/CAK_Exterior.htm

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2015-10-11 9:29 AM

TrevR - 2015-10-11 9:03 AM

Would they be these? http://www.caktanks.co.uk/CAK_Exterior.htm

Eh?...........From their website.......

" this stabilising jacks differ from the traditional scissors design and affords notable practical advantages

in operation. Just a few seconds are needed to move the jacks into the operating or the stowed travelling position."

How many seconds are they going to save....2 to 3 or 4 to 5? :-S ................

Blimey, if I was needing to save that sort of time I'd doubt I'd have time to use a camper (lol) .........

Archived